Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MINT SETS SOUVENIER SETS PAWNSHOP PURCHASE

Today I picked up from a shop that I shop at the following : 1965 sms,1967 sms,1968-76 mint sets a 3 piece 1976 40% silver, 1977-81, 2 1984, 2 1985, 2 1987 mint sets, a 1980 Denver souvenier set, 2 1979 SBA souvienier sets, and 3 1980 SBA souvenier sets. my grand total spent was 57.85 after tax. Any ideas on what the souvenier sets might be worth I had never seen these before but at this price I snagged them up with the rest.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Here is one sold on eBay yesterday Link for $3.30
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Sounds like you did well
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the souvenir sets since the mintages were so low.

Their problem is that the coins aren't mint set quality and there's little demand for most dates. They are the almost the sole source of some dates that aren't of mint set quality. Unfortunately they don't have any true varieties in the rgular souvenir sets.

Those '79 3 pc sets sometimes have the near date though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Does 1968-1976 mean you received 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1976 MINT sets? Or does that mean a 1968 and a 1976 Mint Sets?

And does 1977-81 mean 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, and 1981? Or does that mean a 1977 and a 1981 Mint Sets?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Yes at total of 29 sets I paid less than face value of the coins, the clerk looked at the first couple of sets and figured each set had .91 cents face so he multiplied the face times the number of sets.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Can never go wrong getting free money.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes at total of 29 sets I paid less than face value of the coins, the clerk looked at the first couple of sets and figured each set had .91 cents face so he multiplied the face times the number of sets. >>

Holy smokes!!!

In that number of sets the odds of a gem are very high. If there's ever any demand for the souvenir sets they alone should get you your money back.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Wow,
    I want to know where you shopped at?
    Great score!
  • Options
    I got them in south Denver I will let you know more next week as he is holding another batch of proof sets 9 total and 12 more mint sets for me there are 6 ikes in brown boxes and 6 common morgan silver dollars that all come out next week.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    How often does anyone get a deal that's better than finding something good in change? You don't get change for less than face! Great pickup.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Very nice Score there !
    You did great
    congrats

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file