Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help identifying 1792 dated round thing

I don't know anything about the "darkside". A friend sent me these two photos. Can anyone help him identify it? thanks in advance, jerry

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    looks cast to me, but then again these were made under rather crude minting practices
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a counterfeit imitating 8 Escudos from Mexico City (assayer F.M.). How does the edge look on that one? Weight?
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>It's a counterfeit imitating 8 Escudos from Mexico City (assayer F.M.). How does the edge look on that one? Weight? >>

Roman - figured you'd be along soon. Was i right that these are cast (the fakes, that is)? looks like it

• Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    it's a crude fake that bears a slight similarity to an 8 escudos. Looks like the gold wash has seen better days, judging by the photos.

Someone posted a similar type to this in a prior thread
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, Doogy - looks like a cast.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. It looked suspect to me but not knowing what a real one looks like erodes one's confidence.

And who says the darkside board is slow to respond.

--Jerry
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very common cast replica. These were sold in sets in museum souvenir shops and other places.
    td
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.