Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1951 Proof Crown

Text

what do you think?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    So what's that like? PCGS MS63 - seems a little scuffed for a 64 (though those marks could be on the holder).

It's not a proof though, those '51 crowns all look like that (the proof has a frosted relief).
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Looks like bad pics of a scuffed up holder. It looks like there are some frosty devices. But, then again, it is a 64. -dan
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a proof. Probably came out of a 1950 Proof Set. I have seen quite a few of these. Probably looks much nicer in person.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    looks like the bright light is reflecting every scuff on the slab. i'll bet the coin looks much better "in hand".

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    The 1951s are "proof-like," not proof. The coin could have come from a '51 proof set or may have come from the Festival of Britain box. If it was a real proof, it would be worth $600-$2,000, depending on the type of proof it was.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Wybrit, I have a 1951 Crown in an NGC PF-64 holder and it came out of a FOB box, it is not a proof.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>I agree with Wybrit, I have a 1951 Crown in an NGC PF-64 holder and it came out of a FOB box, it is not a proof. >>

I have three of these, a PCGS PF64 and PF65 and an NGC PF65. they are identical to this, so if they are merely PL and not true proofs, then the TPGs need to catch onto this fact.
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    The actual proofs are frosted and are quite scarce. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the coins from the '51 proof set or the FOB box have been misattributed. I agree that the TPGs need to get this distinction down, because a lot of people are going to end up with slabbed pieces they feel are far more valuable than they actually are.

I came across a '51 crown in Boulder years ago that was labeled as "VIP proof" by the shop owner (it turns out that it was not). Later, at a Denver show, the dealer was there and so was a major TPG. I asked to take the crown over for an evaluation, and the dealer rep agreed. The TPG rep couldn't tell me if it was VIP or not.

BTW that piece in the link is probably already overpriced. Spink price is $24.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

<< <i>The actual proofs are frosted and are quite scarce. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the coins from the '51 proof set or the FOB box have been misattributed. I agree that the TPGs need to get this distinction down, because a lot of people are going to end up with slabbed pieces they feel are far more valuable than they actually are.

I came across a '51 crown in Boulder years ago that was labeled as "VIP proof" by the shop owner (it turns out that it was not). Later, at a Denver show, the dealer was there and so was a major TPG. I asked to take the crown over for an evaluation, and the dealer rep agreed. The TPG rep couldn't tell me if it was VIP or not.

BTW that piece in the link is probably already overpriced. Spink price is $24. >>

Good info Wybrit! i'm not surprised by what i have; i paid under 35 bucks each for them and never thought i'd gotten any kind of deal.
  • The 1951s are "proof-like," not proof. The coin could have come from a '51 proof set or may have come from the Festival of Britain box. If it was a real proof, it would be worth $600-$2,000, depending on the type of proof it was.

I have a PCGS PL65 which came from a Festival of Britain Box.

I have just gone through about a dozen similar boxes and bought the best three at £5 each ( US$10 ). I will see what these grade at.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wybrit gets the gold star... he is right across the board. The coin is not a Proof... merely PL and is not worth $44.

NGC should know better

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK guys. I should have looked at the auction closer before opening my big mouth. The auction title said 1950 but the coin is a 1951 Festival Crown, as stated on the holder.

It is, of couse, not a proof but a proof-like. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this coin could be a proof, just not the VIP proof. Proofs come with frosted and unfrosted devices, the former if done in the proper fashion and not just a first strike entity are quite attractive and decisively less common than the ordinary type out of the 1951 proof set or the one sold separately. The PL uncs. have a different appearance although prooflike and are readily separated from the ordinary proofs.

Hope that helps as well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.