Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

"Opening day..." article in the Oregonian today

There's a great read in today's Oregonian newspaper by Larry Colton about how Opening Day isn't quite as much fun as it used to be:

"A Whole New Ballgame" by Larry Colton

Here's Larry's baseball bio...

Comments

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I read the story first before making my comment here.

Yes, times have changed. You can thank Bill Gates for that.Our kids now sit in their bedroom for hours on end (not mine) playing Guitar Hero instead of sports. We have all had that moment (hopefully) of experiencing the first game we went to and all the vivid colors that went with it.

I can't imagine growing up now with the computer age "gone wild". I remember in the summer of 69' as a kid we had baseball games that started around 9 am in the neighborhood and then we would break for lunch and dinner!! And if it wasn't that, it was down at the Covina Plunge(Covina,CA) swimming all afternoon (for a quarter). They would close it down for an hour to clean. That gave us time to run home,get dinner, and come back for night swimming (for a quarter).

As for the "crazy" little league managers, they were around when i grew up. Nothin' like having a manager talk and spit chew on ya at the same time!! Aaaaaaaaaah memories......

My attendence has dwindled down to a couple a games a year due to the prices. I'd just rather sit in my comfy chair at home and watch it on the sports channel with my $1.50 beer vs. $6.50 beer. In 04' before leaving CA, the tickets i purchased for Anaheim were $35 ea. Those same seats are now $55. I went to Seattle last season and spent $85 ea for some real good seats. Those same seats this year are going for $115. And you wonder why it's not fun anymore..................

I'll leave the egos and steriods alone. It needs no explanation.
  • further proof that we NEED baseball here in Portland!!!!!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote

• << <i>further proof that we NEED baseball here in Portland!!!!! >>

And that PGE park is THE perfect venue for it.....

It will be a long time before we dont have to travel 3 hours north to catch a pro baseball game. Portland barely sells out minor league games (which i love to go to) what would tempt a pro team to come here? The metro tax?