Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Info Needed... 1963 Proof Cameo Padre Junipero Serra Commem.? or Medal?

My business partner was one of the key players for the beatification of Father Junipero Serra. To make a long story short, I noticed he had a plaque on his office wall with a silver commemorative (or medal) of the 250 year anniversary of Serra's birth. According to the info on the plaque, the coin was minted according to an act of Congress in 1963 and was authorized by President John F. Kennedy. I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he said, "No", but that he had some others and he would just give me one.... image

Well, I recieved one today. The one in the plaque on his wall isn't even half as nice as this one! image Anyway, I don't know anything about this coin, medal?, commemorative?, and couldn't find it in the Redbook...... Does anybody have any information about this one??? It's the size of a half dollar, and, needless to say, it's beautiful!!

Thanks,

Rick

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the medal shown was designed by Frank Gasparro and struck at the US Mint as authorized by an Act of Congress in 1963. Howard Turner catalogued the US Mint Medals in articles run in the Numismatist magazine beginning in June 1968, again in September 1977 and finally in November 1985. my understanding is that the medals he listed filled the gap from the end of the "Classic" commemoratives and the beginning of the "Modern" commemoratives in 1982. there are many interesting and worthy designs/dedications included, each assigned a Turner number, this one being T-9.

according to the information i have there were 10,000 struck in 90% Silver and 2,000 struck in Bronze. they can be on eBay from time to time but your's is easily the most lovely example i've seen. it tops mine easily. i know that NGC will holder these and it might be a good alternative for protection and long term strorage. if that's an option you want to pursue and aren't sure what to do, feel free to PM and i'll help if i can.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Keets!!

PM sent.

Rick

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file