Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps and centering

I recently opened a few 1980 topps vending boxes (no hendersons :-()

However, I did pull many cards that are 50/50 centering on the front with 4 sharp corners. The problem is that they are all about 90/10 centering on the back. If the cards would grade Gem Mint based off of the fronts, how hard would they be hit for the centering on the back? Anyone have any idea?
Blessings,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I am just curious as if you bought these vending boxes from New England Sports Cards on eBay? Did the vending boxes have the factory ridges to them when you opened these? Seems odd to open a few of these, find no Hendersons, and have such centering issues.

Snorto~
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    slight chipping EVERYWHERE & gnarly centering problems make this set so much fun collecting!

IMHO unless you got:
    1- jim "jockey posterboy" palmer
    2- rickey "quicky von quick quick" henderson
    or
    3- nolan ryan

don't sweat the technique.

psa 10's are no longer offered by psa anymore,
    i got the memo!

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    NESC is a clearing house for Four Sharp Corners. IMO, I am not surprised that no Henderson's were found.

If there is ever a question about NESC and their association with 4SC, right click on any picture in any NESC auction...the properties of the picture will show that it is supported by the 4SC web site.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chipping is the main issue with this set, as noted. I have found that PSA is pretty lenient when it comes to centering on the back. As long as the centering is 60/40 or better on front, you should be in the ballpark for Mint 9s (and 10s), if the card is otherwise flawless. Unless it's one of the cards Julen mentioned, or a very low pop, you should only bother submitting cards that you feel are gem mint, as a mint 9 grade won't usually be worth even the $5 special grading fee. The good thing about this set, though, is that it is still comparatively inexpensive for unopened product when you compare it to any other pre-1980 set. Rack and wax are usually the best bet for finding high grade cards, but Topps wrapped cellos loosely in 1980, so even those are sources, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I bought 2 boxes from one seller and one from another. Neither of them were New England Sportscards.

From the first two boxes I believe that I got one or two cards that will grade a 10. Centering was really tough. I pulled one Ryan that I think may go a 9, but it's questionable. I pulled a Gaylord Perry and a Rollie Fingers that may go 10 as well as a Niekro. I pulled a Pete Rose that is a solid 9, but won't go a 10.

From the third box, I pulled at least 100 cards with great front centering, definitely better then 60/40. The backs were my only concern.

I'll send in a couple to see how PSA treats the centering before I send them all in.

Blessings,

Steve
    Blessings,

Steve
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Steve,

I'm looking to put together a set of the All-Star cards. Please let me know if you have any you're willing to move. They need not be PSA 10 quality. Just some nicely presentable raw cards.

Thanks,

Drew
  • Options
    I can pull some together. I'd prefer to trade for Baltimore players. Orioles, Colts or Ravens. If you could let me know the specific players you are looking for I can get them together.

Blessings,

Steve
    Blessings,

Steve
  • Options
    Don't mean to hijack....but

Is 4SC bad?

I buy my Roses from him/them mostly? Any insight would be appreciate.

Also, if someone knows who a really good, friendly, reputable Pete Rose graded (moder & vintage) seller is on Ebay, please let me know. I'll make the switch if need be.

Jay
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    if bad as in "rapper's good"

then hell yea their bad!

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>if bad as in "rapper's good"

then hell yea their bad!

j >>

lol

I thought I might have misunderstood. I just thought I seemed to read a few remarks against 4SC that were negative towards them. I've never had a problem buying from them. I always got what I paid for.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recently opened a few 1980 topps vending boxes (no hendersons :-()

However, I did pull many cards that are 50/50 centering on the front with 4 sharp corners. The problem is that they are all about 90/10 centering on the back. If the cards would grade Gem Mint based off of the fronts, how hard would they be hit for the centering on the back? Anyone have any idea? >>

Just check the grading standards on their web:

A PSA Gem Mint 10 card is a virtually perfect card. Attributes include four perfectly sharp corners, sharp focus and full original gloss. A PSA Gem Mint 10 card must be free of staining of any kind, but an allowance may be made for a slight printing imperfection, if it doesn't impair the overall appeal of the card. The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse.

The 90/10 on the back does fall in the 9 range tho.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    theoriolestheorioles Posts: 180 ✭✭
    Steve.....I am trying to complete a 1980 Orioles team set on the registry...If you can spare a #706 Tippy Martinez in raw or graded form....you'd have a very happy trading partner....Did you see any Tippy cards when you opened these boxes?

Thanks!
    gordmott144@gmail.com
    Collecting PSA Graded Orioles From 1954 to 1980
  • Options
    I do have Tippy in the raw. You can PM me and we'll make arrangements to get it to you.
    Blessings,

Steve
  • Options
    Clobber you........make them all 7's.
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    PeteRose - NESC is the same as 4SC. Just about all of the raw stuff that NESC sells is an 8 at best, otherwise they would submit themselves and sell the card slabbed as 4SC.

There is nothing wrong with 4SC, but I do I feel like 4SC's auctions go for slightly more than those from unrecognizable sellers. Their selection is great, but because of that, more people bid on their cards, driving the price up some.
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation jdip9.

Jay