Home Sports Talk

Sox/Tribe Game

Never seen so much idiocy in umpiring before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos

Comments

• fill me in, i just got in from work!
    i was hoping it would be on TV....alas. i got the cubs/brewers and the giants/dodgers..

silly NL teams! lol
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    From MLB.com

>>The game was tied at 7.

That's when it got interesting.

In the eighth, the Sox were in the enviable position of having the bases loaded with none out. Joe Crede and Juan Uribe had notched consecutive doubles off Rafael Betancourt, who then intentionally walked Nick Swisher. Surely, it seemed, the go-ahead run would come across, particularly when Orlando Cabrera hit a grounder to short and Jhonny Peralta's throw home to backup catcher Kelly Shoppach was high.

Somehow, though, Shoppach came down with the ball and, allegedly, applied a tag to Crede's jersey. The replay evidence was far from conclusive on that matter, but home-plate umpire Gerry Davis called Crede out.

"The ball was there in time, it was just a little high," Shoppach said. "You just have to be heavy enough to come back to the earth quick enough. And maybe I was."

The weight was still on Betancourt's shoulders, because the bases remained loaded with one out. Thome sent a slow roller to second that, again, seemed destined to bring home a run. The Indians had little chance of turning the double play. But as Cabrera was forced out at second, he swiped Peralta's leg with his right arm. Interference was called, and a double play it was.
    How does one describe an inning in which a team gets back-to-back doubles, loads the bases with none out and comes out empty-handed?

"That," Blake said, "was pretty bizarre." <<

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • aright. Indians magic! image

Thome hit 2 dingers... which is good image the sox lost which is better... and the Tribe won! woohoo!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Replay looked clear to me, he missed him by half a foot and you could tell by Crede's reaction ( a low key guy) that he missed him. Terrible call and there were others too but that's the current state of baseball. The ump was out of postion to even call it. You win some and lose some but this one unfortunately affected the outcome of the game.