Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question re' Ernie Banks signed postcard

Hi. I collected baseball cards as a kid in the 1950's, but know nothing about today's market for that area of collecting.
I was a Cub fan and in 1956, sent for and received two, 2¢ postcards from the Cubs organization. One is autographed by Ernie Banks and the other by Gene Baker. For those who don't know, Baker and Banks were a really great double-play team at that time. Ernie, of course, played shortstop and Baker played second base.

My question is, are these 2¢ autographed postcards worth much (or anything) in today's sports memorabilia market, and if so, how much?
Thanks.
I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
- Jim

Comments

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Roughly $50 for Banks, $10 for Baker...... depending on the type of postcard

I have many of them, but no Banks.

many collectors like the fact the postcards were used and postmarked making it easy to identify the age of the signature

I have a Kaline postmarked 1953 making it one year older than his rookie card.

Kiner example below
    postmarked 1950 "Jacino" PC Ralph Kiner
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks FKW. Mine were just sent on regular off-white, pre-stamped, 2¢ Post Office postcards, not picture postcards like your example. Are they still worth about the same? Is eBay the best place to sell them or where?

I guess photos would help, huh? Here's Ernie's:

- Jim
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Id estimate quite a bit less for the blank "Government Postcard" ($20-$25 for the Banks, $5-$8 for the Baker maybe more). You may want to search eBay completed auctions under "government postcard" to get an idea of what a similar player goes for.

An autograph collector should be very interested in the Banks because the postmark proves it is an early signature (3rd season), its a far nicer example compared to a modern mass produced 1980-now Sharpie signature.

Gene Baker passed away in 1999 so there might be a bit of a premium for his signature, Im not sure how rare it is though. A Cubs or Pirates autograph collector would be the most interested.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great! Thanks for your insight, fkw. I appreciate it.
    - Jim