Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1950 Vatican

Hi guys.
First venture over here to the darkside. No nothing. image
Can you please tell me what I have? Mint Set, maybe?
Pretty sure it's 1950. It's light weight. I'm assuming aluminum.
Ballpark value or online guide for such things?
Thanks - Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Hey Sparky,
    I've seen those before. That is Pope Pius XII on the coins, they are aluminum and are 1,2,5, and 10 Lire denominations probably BU.
    I've seen the 3 coin set from the early 50's for sale at Joels coins for about 5 bucks- so maybe a little more?
    I think you are correct that MCML is 1950...
    My parents got a set like that in the 1960's when they visited Rome and they are nice to have as a keepsake, but I don't think they are extremely valuable.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If it is in fact a 1950 Vatican City Mint Set, it catalogs in Krause for around $265.00 for the set. You have a 1, 2, 5, and 10 Lire coins there. Seperately they catalog as follows:
    1 Lire - Unc - $3.50
    2 Lire Unc - $4.00
    5 Lire Unc - 10.00
    10 Lire Unc - 8.00

I was only able to find a 1950 in the mint sets, and if that is what it is then it appears to be of value (I couldn't tell you what one of their mint sets looks like). Others with more experience can eleborate. Nice coins!
    Todd
  • Here's your set, they want $55 US for it...

1950 Vatican Coin set
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, these can with and without a gold coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I've learned a bunch already.
    Maybe a gold coin was in the empty hole on the one JimK linked?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    The motifs on the coins in this set commemorate the Holy Year (or Jubilee Year) of 1950. On the obverses, standard Vatican coins will have the regnal year of the current pontiff. On these coins, the obverse features abbreviations such as "AN IVB", which stands for "ANNO IVBILAEI". The reverses of three of them reference a Holy Door, which is ceremoniously opened at the beginning of the Holy Year and sealed back up at the end.

Gold coins were also made for this year, and were slightly smaller than the 1 Lire coin; the spot in the set that JimK linked looks to be the correct size. For reference, here's a picture of a 100 Lire denomination gold coin from that year which is currently for sale at Steinberg's (it shows the Pope opening the Holy Door with a hammer):