Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Value of 1959 AL All-Star signed ball....

Without looking it up on ebay, I'd like for you to guesstimate what you think this ball is worth. I think I got it for a good price, but as someone who doesn't collect autos I only bought it because the seller sold me some other stuff at a good price to help out with medical bills resulting from an illness his wife has been stricken with.

It is a PSA/DNA certified Official AL ball (Harridge) and is signed by many of the guys on the '59 AL All Star team:

Mantle, Willaims, Kaline, Minoso, Berra, Fox, Aparicio, Wynn, Skowron, Woodling, McDougald, Sievers, Malzone, Runnels, Daley, O'Dell, and some others that are very faded and hard to make out. The Williams is faded but legible and the Mantle is one of the strongest sigs on the ball. If you had this and were listing it on ebay, what would be your asking price? (The pictures aren't so good, but it's all I have for now)

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea but its a very nice item.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    $2800
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I see Casey Stengel too.

I recently saw a 73 being offered for 2850.00 so I would assume this is at least that or more.

It would depend on what I have into it too.

My guess is it is worth 3k?

Nice item

Steve
    Good for you.
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I'll go lower partly basing on the psa/dna being an auction loa and not full psa/dna....I'll say 900-1,000. I had a 61' all star ball with clemente and maris (many others but those were the bigger names) on it and that went for $800
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    I'll say 2k
  • airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    I would say around $800....
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    with a few faded signatures, Its worth $250-$500.

again, here are examples

1947 AS Ball

1963 AS Ball

PS. That 1973 ball where the seller is asking $2800 is 10X too much
    I recently saw a 73 being offered for 2850.00 so I would assume this is at least that or more.

To the guy selling the 73 at least.

In all honesty Items like this are hard to value.

I should have said an amount that I'd be willing to pay.

Just because 2 such balls sold recently for 250-500 also
    does not make a market.

I agree the 73 is overpriced but I am not willing to say it is overpriced by 10x.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    All Star Balls are not as rare as you think.....

Ive been following autographed balls, postcards, and cards for 30 years.

The 2 examples I posted above are average prices and what the item is worth in the "real world"

Sure you might get more for one of these balls, but thats usually only because 2 bidders want it real bad and overbid.
  • $1,000
    Allstar balls are not scarce I know.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee

This was just discussed recently with another AS ball and I was disappointed to find out that my more recent catalog by Krause doesn't have them listed.

I do have them in the Complete Guide to Baseball Memorabilia - Krause - 1996.

The AL AS ball is listed: in 1959 there were 2 AS games.

The first AS game ball is listed at $400-600.

The second AS game ball is listed at $475-725 - why more? My guess Maris should be on this ball and may not have been on the first; just a guess?

Of course condition will have to be considered since one can't see the sigs really well.

Good luck if you plan to sell it.
    mike
    Mike
    IMO these things are too thinly traded to be able to say with any certainty
    what they are worth.

I guess it all comes down to what they are worth to each individual?

Guides are ok and they are useful as a starting point.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • fkw is pretty close with his estimate. I'd say about $500, perhaps a little more. With the exception of the premium teams (i.e., the Yankees), demand for 1950s baseballs in less than "near mint" (7/10) condition is pretty soft.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
    Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I was going to say $500-$1,000 but I don't know squat about autographs. Maybe I should say, I would pay $500 without blinking if I wanted that top of item. Above that I would do research. What did you pay?
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    $500. I thought it my head it could bring $800-$1000.
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Oops never mind

Jake
  • I would list at at 1300.00 and see what kind of offers came through .

That is a nice baseball !

Sigs from Williams /Mantles playing days are always going to be in demand , also Mantles sig on that baseball should be different looking than what we are more used to seeing .

Very plain looking letters tight together .

Plus it is on a Harridge OAL ball in pretty good shape .

The ink used back then was horrible and not too many are in great condition , My 58 looks similar , quite faded .

I think that is a great pick up Lee .
    Thanks for all the good info everybody. I'm thinking I might list it at $900 and see what happens. I certainly don't mind keeping it if it doesn't sell.

Also, would it be a good idea to trace over the faded autos with a new pen? Just kidding.
  • I wonder if Maris is on the baseball just faded ?

All of those great players on one baseball even if Maris isn't on it make it a highly desirable item in my opinion .

I also wonder if it was used in the game ?

Any signs of use ?
    There is a little scuffing but I'm certainly no expert. No dirt really, so it probably wasn't game used. There are 3 sigs that are faded to the point where you can't tell who they are. Any tips on figuring out whose autos they are? You can't tell with the naked eye or through a loupe.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    IWDMBII

Sorry, had to be done.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • I have had some luck with taking a picture of all the panels of the baseball and then using my image software to enhance lighting , or color , or gama or even looking at the image in it's negative form to find very faint sigs ,