Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Online Dealers - Raw Coins

I like collecting unslabbed coins rather than slabbed - especially Barber Quarters and Halves and Standing Liberty Quarters. JJ Teaparty is a good site and I was wondering if you guys can recommend other sites like this? Thanks. image

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want raw coins, why not buy slabbed coins and just crack them out? Frequently raw coins are overpriced since they can be overgraded or have problems that aren't obvious to the average collector.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe JJ Teaparty switched over to nearly all PCGS-certified coins a few months ago.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I believe JJ Teaparty switched over to nearly all PCGS-certified coins a few months ago.

Yep. Even common date Shield 5c in grades down to VF-20.
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    If you ever get into bust material, then you have to stop by Dick Osbornes site. RCNH use to carry alot of raw material, though, it's been a while since I checked out their site.

Ron
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    There are 13 ways to deal with raw coins

Baked
    Broiled
    Steamed
    Boiled
    BBQ
    Braised
    Fried
    Sashimii
    Poached
    Roasted
    Potted
    Pickeled
    Smoked

Served with a mixed salad of Green Backs
    and a tall, cold glass of Kool-Ade.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear, it is of some concern to me that you settled on the number 13 and listed all the possible ways to prepare fish. You are a Bear, I understand the fish thing but is the use of the number 13 a hidden message that we should give special attention and be aware of? Respectfully, John Curlis...not that I am paranoid or anything...
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flatbread wrap with muenster. image

Here's a dealer with raw coins. Also, good images to help you choose.
    Harlan J. Berk

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Definately Dick osburn.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The age of raw coins is over. They are still raw for a reason.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The age of raw coins is over. They are still raw for a reason. >>

I disagree.

All of my coins are raw, and I have some real beauties in my type set. image
    Zach
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The age of raw coins is over. They are still raw for a reason. >>

I disagree.

All of my coins are raw, and I have some real beauties in my type set. image >>

I saw a display of raw coins at the FUN Show (Jan 08) that was unbelievable. Raw, extremely high grade examples of the earliest of early copper, a 1792 half disme, and more coins that most of us could only dream of owning -- the owner prefers the coins that way.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Sorry about the blank post. Anyway, I second the Dick Osburn nomination.

Dick Osburn
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The age of raw coins is over. They are still raw for a reason.

I have to disagree also, There are still nice, raw ones to be found. I stumbled across this coin raw, well, it was in a plastic flip. It's now in a PCGS AU-58 holder.

imageimage

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's official...CharlotteDude SUCKS!

Nice coin!!!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack Beymer is another source for quality raw coins (and some certified ones also). He maintains a huge selection of dates and grades of most series, but coin for coin, his prices are among the highest in the country.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I don't think he has the ones you specifically mentioned (at least on the web), but I have had great luck with Ray Komka out of Webster, NY. Ray Komka Coins
    He has a good section for single coins and I find the prices to be very good, and the coins I've received are high grade MS and Proof just like it says. Only thing for me is I've purchased moderns from him (mostly silver Roosie's). But they've all been gorgeous, definitely a bunch that should qualify for FB someday too! I've decided that's where I'm going to stock up on my Washies, Roosies, Jeffs, Ikes etc. All the modern stuff that I need to fill my Danscos with.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jack Beymer is another source for quality raw coins (and some certified ones also). He maintains a huge selection of dates and grades of most series, but coin for coin, his prices are among the highest in the country. >>

Do you have a link to his inventory? Google only gives maps to "Coddingtown Center when I do a search for his name. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want raw coins, why not buy slabbed coins and just crack them out? Frequently raw coins are overpriced since they can be overgraded or have problems that aren't obvious to the average collector. >>

yes, it's true. slabed coins are never overpriced.

K S
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Jack B.'s inventory - I still don't think they do much with the internet, but he runs full page ads in CoinWorld every week, and he sends out a monthly price list. You could call their number and they would send you a copy. And they set up at all major shows.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Look for the Smythe table at any large show, and ask for Nirat. He has those series raw.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file