Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Check out this Chipper Jones Tiffany Rookie I got back from BGS

I had 2 of these and both had the gloss stop a little before the edge. I thought they might have all been like that so I went ahead and submitted it. There are only 15 BGS 9.5s and this one just missed. I thought it was cool that they put the sticker they usually use for rejects to explain why the surface got hammered. The subgrades are 9.5/9.5/9.5 and 6 on the surface. They drew the line to show what held it back. I am guessing PSA would also lower the grade for this? I am not sure, but I am guessing the Chipper was on the top of the sheet and the gloss came up a bit short of covering all the cards completly.

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That is really cool. I think they are reacting to one of the biggest complaints about PSA, which is not providing any feedback on why a card was downgraded. You have nothing to lose by cracking it and giving it a shot with PSA because it is actually worth more raw than in a 7 slab.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    ex post facto my friend....

way too late for lucy to do any 'xplanin'

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    That's a great policy by Beckett, it helps customers make better decisions with future submissions by giving insight as to why a card was graded as it was. I am frankly surprised Beckett didn't opt to keep people in the dark though in hopes an uneducated consumer is more inclined to send in lower quality cards they believe will grade higher than they will.

I wonder if Beckett treats refractor lines equally as harsh. I have seen many Refractors with horribly detracting lines in Gem Mint slabs and never understood why.

Snorto~
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think refractor lines usually put it in 8 range for surface. That is just from my experience. They don't send you the post it for the refractor lines though.
  • Options
    That's a beautiful card. It's a shame that the gloss doesn't go that extra 1/8th of an inch or so.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    get some clear coat and spray it evenly. That'll fix the problem.