Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question for the Mexican Coin Experts

I have three coins from the San Luis Potosi mint dated between 1849 - 1856. An 8R, a 1R, and a 1/2R. All three coins have a medal die alignment. At first I thought the 1R might be a fake, but with three of them it is now a pattern (Also the 8R is slabbed by NGC). I did not see mention of this in Dunigan and Parker's book. I also have an early Durango Cap and Rays 8R that is in medal alignment, but Dunigan and Parker do mention that. Just curious if anyone knows if and when Potosi began aligning their dies in a normal coin alignment.
This space intentionally left blank.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go through my notes once I get home, if you don't receive an answer by then.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my notes, Potosi switched from medal to coin alignment in 1854. There are both varieties available for that year.
  • Thanks for the info Roman. I think there was an inaccuracy in my original post. My 1849 1R has a medal alignment and the 1853 8R does also. I couldn't find the 1856 1/2R (it's in the SDB at the bank). I suspect I was incorrect and it has a "normal" coin alignment. I'll check it when I get a chance. Thanks again.
    This space intentionally left blank.