Home Sports Talk
Options

Best 1-4 starting pitchers in baseball??

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
look everyone knows im a mets fan.. but not even being a homer pick here.. my picks below. but what is espn talking about the braves having the best depth at pitching. and phillies have no pitching.

santana could easily win 20
pedro if healthy and even if they baby him all year 12-15 tops.
ollie perez in the 3 hole instead of 2 hole last year weaker pitchers. won 15 last year. I see another 15 in a free agent year
john maine has looked awesome in spring slated for 4th spot. won 15 in 3rd spot last year. i can see john maine in the 18-20 win cy young talk with him santana peavy hamels etc..

espn says braves have the best 1-4

are they nuts? glavine??? we had him last year he is down grading every year closer to 10-10 pitcher. hampton will he be healthy? smoltz healthy?

hudson is solid.

i dont no what phillies have outside of hamels. i no myers is a 2 or 3 starting pitcher. but he might get sent to pen. plus you cant honestly say hes a #2 for at least another 10 starts.

braves lineup is stacked. but mets and phillies lineups stacked as well. mets probably having the weakest linup of the 3 when alou is down. but i think our starting pitching this year can get alot of 8 ip games. maybe 7-10 complete games. glad the season started. were all chasing the nationals that should end in 3 days though i think!

this should be a fun race with the standings looking like this

mets 92-70
phillies90-72 wild card
braves 89-73 just miss
nationals 82-80
marlins 74-88

Comments

• Options
    One thing's for sure, John Maine won't be getting CY Young talk even if he does win 15+. If you aren't close to being the best pitcher on your TEAM you sure as hell aren't the best in the league. Unless you can point out a 4 spot winning the CY in years past, that's my way of thinking because I assume that they take into account the weaker pitching opponents, etc. when considering those guys with gaudy win totals.

As far as the Braves go......

Smoltz is our version of Pedro but probably healthier even though he's starting on the DL. If you put Pedro down for 12-15 what does that do for Smoltz? 20?....I doubt it, but count on him for 15.

Hudson was absolutely FILTHY tonight. Yes, it was agains the Nationals but it was the same Nationals team that he'll get at least 2-3 more starts against this year. We should get 15+ wins out of him as well.

Glavine will probably do similar or better than what he did for you guys in NY. I honestly believe that him being in NY had an effect on his performance. He went there for money, didn't really like it (heard it myself in O-town last month), and if you aren't comfortable in your surroundings or the people around you, how effective can you be? I can see 12 wins and an ERA in the high 3s or low 4s.

Hampton's health could literally determine this division. If he goes back to '03 or '04 form (14-8 3.8 ERA, 13-9 4.3) then that will be HUGE. I don't thik he'll make it through the whole season, but I do think we'll get about a half of a season from him with a few stints on the 15 day DL.

Can't wait to watch Chipp welcome Santana to The House that Chip Built aka Shea Stadium! image

Who's better? I don't even know how you could assess that right now, ask me in a month image. What I do know is that this year will be a hell of a race in the East and should be a ton of fun!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I too can see Maine garnering some Cy votes if he has the season i anticipate from him.

Not all Cy Young Award winners have been number 1 starters. They may have begun the season
    as number 2 or 3 but as the season progressed they became the number 1.

Guidry in 78 for one, And Sutcliffe did not even start the season with the team
    he won his award with 83? Valenzuela too?

I am not sure that the voters regard who a pitcher opposes I think they look at the bottom line.

I see Maine winning 20 games this year.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I too can see Maine garnering some Cy votes if he has the season i anticipate from him.

Not all Cy Young Award winners have been number 1 starters.

I see Maine winning 20 games this year.

Steve >>

I dont think goot meant he wont get consederation becasue he isnt his team's number 1 starter.

I think he meant in maine's case, Santana is his team's number one and it will be hard to do better than him.

The second best pitcher on a team will not have a chance at the cy young.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tell that to Steve Stone who was the 3rd best in 1980 on his team.

I agree I doubt that maine will beat out Santana.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I should add, that by-

The second best pitcher on a team will not have a chance at the cy young.

i meant at the end of the season, not the pre-season best.

If Maine has a fantastic year, and it happens to be better than Santana's, then he will have a great shot at the Cy Young.

imagey
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    What about the Indians 1-4.....CC, Fausto, Westbrook and either Byrd or Lee. I think Lee is going to have a comeback year after last years fiasco. No matter what rotation you pick I think injuries will play a big part...like it has been said about the Mets, what if Pedro doesn't come back...just about any team would be disaster if one of the starters go down. Luckily the Indians have some depth, which is why I think they still will win the Central this year.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the Mets but have to agree that TODAY they have the best 1-4 staff in MLB. A blister, a twinge of pain, minor stiffness, etc -- that can change it all in a second.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    1) Roy Oswalt
    2) Roy Oswalt
    3) Roy Oswalt
    4) Roy Oswalt

Oh, I forgot you can't pitch every day.

Nevermind.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Indians and then the Angels a close second

Angels 1-4
    Escobar
    Lackey
    Weaver
    Garland

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    I'm not going to take a stab at which team has the best 1-4, but it all doesn't really matter nowadays, like
    it did back in the 70's.

Innings 6-8, and then 9 are getting as much attention as innings 1 to 6, that it doesn't matter if you're the best
    in 1 through 6, but also who is the best at 6 through 8, and then 9.
  • Options
    This was supposed to be a NL East only thread....image
  • Options
    angels

Angels 1-4
    Escobar Hurt, possibly done for the season
    Lackey on the Dl.
    Weaver
    Garland

hmmm....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mets 1-4 will be tough to beat. Perez has even more upside than Maine, IMO, and I'm looking for him to have a big season if he can stay consistent. His stuff is electric when he's on. The key will be keeping everyone healthy. The only question mark is Pedro. Can he hold up over a full season?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me the Padres 1-4
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    And I'll take the Jays anyday.
    Jay
  • Options
    jays have a decent staff this year image as long as they stay healthy.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If Pedro is healthy I cant see anyone being better than the Mets 1-4. Oliver Perez could turn back into a pumpkin and Maine have a sophmore slump and Pedro goes back on the DL are all possibilities.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Not sure who has the best 1-4, but I like the Angels and the Red Sox staff.

I agree that middle relief is as important nowadays.

As far as the Phillies and the Mets, I call it pretty close. Santana is a beast, and Maine will be. Pedro and Perez - nah. For the Phillies, Hamels will be a 20 game winner one day, and Myers will once again be a very effective starter. Moyer will eat innings, and I am one of the few that sees Kendrick as a ML pitcher.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>Give me the Padres 1-4 >>

My supervisor's nephew was just named the 5th starter for the padres..

5th

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Pedro looks sharp..........

imagey
  • Options
    Well, I have to chime in with the M's rotation here. Obviously, their 1-2 are among the best with Bedard & Felix, but I think their 1-4 are right up there as well. One thing's for sure, barring a complete blow up by Washburn tomorrow, their 1-4 have had the best performance of any team in baseball the first time through. So far, their 1-3 have pitched 19 innings and allowed only 3 runs (2 earned), for a microscopic ERA of .95! Certainly that won't hold, but I think they've got a real good shot at having the best staff this year. Time will tell.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Down goes Pedro..........
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The year Bob Welch won 27 games and the Cy Young award he was not the number #1 starter. Dave Stewart was. To win the Cy Young you have to have the numbers. Who cares about what number starter you are. Don Sutton is in the hall and he was basically never a 1 or 2 on some of the teams he was on. Just my 2 cents.
    Mickey71image
  • Options
    There aren't any. No starting pitcher has pitched 5 games yet. LOL

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    jays have a decent staff this year as long as they stay healthy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree, they looked really good against the Yankees , they did hold them down pretty well , matter of fact they should have never lost the 3rd game , I feel that was a coaching error .

• Options

<< <i>The year Bob Welch won 27 games and the Cy Young award he was not the number #1 starter. Dave Stewart was. To win the Cy Young you have to have the numbers. Who cares about what number starter you are. Don Sutton is in the hall and he was basically never a 1 or 2 on some of the teams he was on. Just my 2 cents.
    Mickey71image >>

Thats the point i was trying to make, but with Santana on the staff, i dont think he will have better numbers at the end of the year. If Santana was on another team and had a great year but his team sucked, Maine (or whoever) could win the Cy Young if he was on a great team but had slightly worse numbers. There is no chance for that when they are on the same team.

imagey
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Royals 1-3 looks good...

So far. Come on John Bale!!!
    Travis
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    jays staff looks nasty....this could be 3-team race in the division.
  • Options
    Padres.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Pedro is healthy I cant see anyone being better than the Mets 1-4. Oliver Perez could turn back into a pumpkin and Maine have a sophmore slump and Pedro goes back on the DL are all possibilities. >>

Pedro is toast. Met will be lucky to get 10 wins and a 4.50 ERA out of him, which is like a 5.40 ERA in the AL. Hell, Kyle Sndyer can get you 10 wins if you give him 25 starts.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the Indians 1-4.....CC, Fausto, Westbrook and either Byrd or Lee. I think Lee is going to have a comeback year after last years fiasco. No matter what rotation you pick I think injuries will play a big part...like it has been said about the Mets, what if Pedro doesn't come back...just about any team would be disaster if one of the starters go down. Luckily the Indians have some depth, which is why I think they still will win the Central this year. >>

Didn't mean to jinx Pedro but heard he's out already...but it's like I said, injuries can change everything...and woo hoo, Cliff Lee sure looked good today for Clevelandimage