Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: 1918 Post WWI Satirical

K-213 IN THE FLUSH OF VICTORY (Im Siegestaumel), 1918, Cast Bronze, 58mm, RR, AU.

Obverse: The Gallic coq proudly stands on the flag staffs of his allies, America, England, and Italy. In the background are cracked and burning buildings with a “Viva Foch” inscription. Dated October 1918.

Reverse: The French General Foch is seen leading the embodiment of four preponderant shareholding continents in victory; the African native, Asiatic oriental, Australian aborigine, and the American Indian.

This has been a tough one to acquire. In the five years I've been collecting Goetz I think I've seen two or three times but always in a large collection at auction. I had always had to forego picking this one up because I'd be trying to acquire rarer pieces from the same auction. Anyway, I just picked up another 15-20 pieces from a private U.S. collection and this was one of the pieces. I have always referred to this medal as the "The Village People" medal as it always reminds me of one of their album covers I recall from the 70's. Enjoy.

Comments