Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do you handle a bad cert number?

planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 1936-S Merc in MS66FB. I've tried entering in the PCGS number in the label -- 21868059 -- on a couple of occasions now, and while I have no problem with other coins, this one keeps coming up no good. "Unknown cert number" in My Inventory, and "not available for display" at the Cert Verification off the home page.

What gives?

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You verified that dyslexia (sic?) didn't come into account here? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Did this coin come from China?
    There is nothing like an uncirculated set of washington quarters!!!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst case scenario, I would say, take a picture of the coin and send email to PCGS (maybe BJ since you are probably trying to put it in the registry and she runs the PCGS registry.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    The return message should give you contact information to have PCGS look at the problem, use it or contact Carol. This has happened to me a couple of times in the past with Vars.

Or you might have gotten a hold of a counterfiet slab image which if you did I am sure PCGS would want to know about it.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Contact PCGS. I've had that happen a few times and BJ's team is super. Even when the issue isn't a "Registry" problem they will help you get to the right people to get it fixed and quickly. With that said I think they have done a GREAT job on the new Registry.
  • Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    I ran into a similar situation when I was entering the serial numbers around coins I owned, to get a flavor for the original submission. There's a distinction between "not available for display" and "there is no certificate matching that number." My guess is that it might be possible to privatize one's certificates. image
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "With that said I think they have done a GREAT job on the new Registry. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

Probably one of the greatest assemblies of coins for viewing on the planet.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You verified that dyslexia (sic?) didn't come into account here? image >>

That's what I was wondering at first. Nope -- I've even held up the slab next to the entry field on my monitor.

The 1936-S 10c isn't terribly rare in MS66FB wih a CU value of $145, and my coin is an attractive piece with a justified grade, so I don't suspect foul play. (Source was a Heritage Internet auction about one year ago.) I'll contact BJ Searls and keep you posted if something interesting happens.
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    It happened to me once before on a coin I own. I contacted customer service about it and included images and after a few back and forth emails the rep said the coin would have to be sent in to be verified before the database could be corrected. They also offered me a free grading for the hassle, but in the end I opted out since it wasn't that expensive of a coin and it wasn't too important to me.
    aka Dan
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    When a similar issue happened to me, I emailed Cosetta Robbins at CRobbins@collectors.com and the issue was promptly taken care of.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, make sure to send either scans or pics of the full slab and coin, both obverse and reverse.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gents... I took care of this a few weeks ago. It turned out that the PCGS Registry dept could not correct the problem directly, but they immediately forwarded my request to Customer Service. The cert was updated within days and now shows in the database. Thanks go to Jaye Woodward of the Registry, as well as Diana Bolivar and Teresa Roushar.

Here's the coin!

imageimage
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats.

Had a similar problem recently and the dealer who sold the coin to me took care of all the administrative stuff with PCGS and fixed the problem in two business days.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

I just had this problem and thought that others might also benefit from reading this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file