Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Swiss pocket change

Well, I arrived in Basel yesterday from Denmark. Every time I'm in Switzerland I'm amazed at the quality of the coinage.

Either their coins do not circulate much or they truely do wear well. My change so far includes a 1996 5 Franc in mid-AU with lots of lustre, still with a bit of cameo effect, a 1982 5Fr in low AU, a 2001 1/2Fr AU58++ Cameo and a 2007 DCAM 10 Rappen.

In fact I have found in my trips here that you really never receive coins in less than AU condition that are less than 15 years old.

I wish the same could be said for the Euro coinage. image
R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
Collecting:
Conder tokens
19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact I have found in my trips here that you really never receive coins in less than AU condition that are less than 15 years old.

Interesting observation. Then again, is it much different in the US?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Point taken - however, Swiss coins seem to retain a PL appearance to their fields and devices much longer then US coins.

Just received a 1934 10 Rappen at McDonalds tonight in my change. Nice solid EF with a touch of wear to the hair in the portrait and the leaves on the reverse. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiss coins seem to retain a PL appearance to their fields and devices much longer then US coins.

US coins made for circulation very rarely have PL surfaces to begin with.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I was just adding the coins I returned from Europe with to my spreadsheet and noticed that for my 1934B 10 Rappen I mentioned I received from McDonalds that Krause notes that the 10 Rappen coins from 1932-39 were retired from legal tender status on January 1, 2004 and removed from circulation. Apparently because of their composition of Nickel instead of the usual Cu-Ni.

The 20 Rappen of 1901-1938 have the same note.

I got stiffed a 10 Rappen! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. I was just adding the coins I returned from Europe with to my spreadsheet and noticed that for my 1934B 10 Rappen I mentioned I received from McDonalds that Krause notes that the 10 Rappen coins from 1932-39 were retired from legal tender status on January 1, 2004 and removed from circulation. Apparently because of their composition of Nickel instead of the usual Cu-Ni.

The 20 Rappen of 1901-1938 have the same note.

I got stiffed a 10 Rappen! image >>

Yeah, thos McD's kids are smart ones.....

About 3 years ago one tried to slip me a 1933 1/10 Balboa in change instead of a Roosie clad dime. image

In addition, I received the usual 2 Wash. quarters to round out the 60 cents change. When I question the sly lad about the Foreign junk he admitted someone had slipped those into the til, and he was worried he'd get into trouble. I said, "No problemo!! The are cool, have any more. image To which he replies, "Yeah, these are about the same size as a quarter; do you want to trade them for those quarters I just gave you?" So, I helped the kid out of his problems with the manager, and gave him back the two clad quarters for two 1/4 Balboas (both were dated 1930) image

No need to thank me, I was just doing my part to help to math and currency challenged youth in America. image

Oh yeah, all 3 coins were nice, lightly toned sliders.