Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Sede Vacante medal from Regensburg (1763)

I managed to have success with this lot in the Kuenker auction. This medal was issued in 1763 to commemorate the death of Johann Theodor of Bavaria, who was the Bishop of the diocese of Regensburg. The bishop, who was also a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire, was the 61st bishop since the founding of the diocese in 739.

The obverse features St Peter with a key and a fish. St Peter is surrounded by the 15 crests of "cathedral gentlemen" (I am still trying to get a better sense of the true significance of the crests). The reverse features the Cathedral of St Peter in Regensburg, completed around 1520, which is considered to be the most significant gothic style structure in southern Germany.

The medal is 55.5mm in size, and is often called a 1 1/2 taler, although it was never minted for circulation. The medal is identified as Zepernick 248.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is very nice, congratulations. I love a lot of the early medals and commemoratives, but alas, my checkbook requires that I limit myself to just a couple of series to collect.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great addition to your SV collection! image
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    WCG - You never seem to stop Impressing me!

Nice piece.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

A thread topic that would be of interest is hearing what people had to give up/sell in order to purchase their latest new goodies. I recently bought 4 new sede vacante talers and medals (3 are still on the way), but the price I had to pay was some old roubles that I decided to let go on eBay. All things considered, there are way too many collectors in Russian and the republics that value those coins more than I do.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Holy wow, that is a superb looking medal. I bet that looks great in hand.

I didn't win anything from Kunker this time around, though I got a great coin out of the WAG auction