Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Last 20 cards or so bought on ebay have been damaged in some way. Anybody else???

Hey guys, i've noticed maybe about the last 20 cards or so i've purchased on ebay have been damaged in some way, even when the pics on the auction haven't shown anything wrong with the card. Also, the sellers state card is Mint and it probably wouldn't even come back an 8.

Has this been happening to anybody else? Maybe the last 15 to 20 cards i've gotten have been damaged in many different areas. How do these sellers get away with keep selling cards that are dinged or damaged any other way? I'm sure i'm not the first person to get damaged cards, but they seem to not have any negs about any damaged cards, how?

Giovanni

Comments

• Options
    I have not had any damaged cards, but have had alot of packages take forever to reach their destination.
  • Options

<< <i>I have not had any damaged cards, but have had alot of packages take forever to reach their destination. >>

Your very lucky! image

I'm mainly talking about autographed Basketball HOF new stuff, they seem to always come damaged image

Yeah, I know what you mean about packages coming late sometimes. For the first time ever, i'm waiting for a package for about a month and a half now, never happened like this before, maybe a week or two or three tops, but its gotta happen at some point I guess. This guy dosen't answer emails, i've sent him about 3 emails.

Giovanni
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I damaged a bunch of cards trying to open them. Used scissors, a knife, a torch and the eventually ended up cut in half and burned after 45 minutes. I expect the seller to replace them or I will neg him.
  • Options

<< <i>I damaged a bunch of cards trying to open them. Used scissors, a knife, a torch and the eventually ended up cut in half and burned after 45 minutes. I expect the seller to replace them or I will neg him. >>

Oh yeah, I know what your talking about image When they make it impossible to open, I hate that. I think you can pack a card very safe and still not wrap it to where you can't open it without damaging a card. I'm not even talking about that kind of damage, i'm just talking about the card being dammaged without me doing it to open it, just already damaged when the description and scan both show different than what I see in front of me.

Giovanni
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Last 15-20 cards?

yikes.
  • Options

<< <i>Last 15-20 cards?

yikes. >>

I'd say more like 15 because probably 5 of them cam eback Mint or better. Not like I care to much because I collect autographs, and when I pick a card I look at the autograph and make sure its 100%. If the auto is not perfect then I wouldn't pick the card anyway, but if a seller states Mint or better in the description and the card looks mint in the scan, and then when it comes its not as described in both descripton and scan, then that pisses me off a bit that they think there always gona get away with it, not that I care to much about the condition of the card, I am not a vintage condition collector, if I was then there would be a big problem.

Giovanni
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had much luck lately either....I've bought a bunch of late 60s/ early 70s singles that look like potential 8s in the scans, and show up as 6s, maybe 6.5s.

the easiest way to help combat it is to state the card was overgraded in the feedback (while still giving a positive to avoid the retalitory neg). Every raw card I buy I will state if the card was over/under/properly graded in the feedback.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they were damaged because someone did a sportsitup on them.
  • Options
    KikoKiko Posts: 93 ✭✭
    that's just par for the course when buying raw from Ebay. If the description says NM, you can bet it's EX. Unfortunately, overgrading is the norm. Too bad that there are so many dishonest people out there. I just won't buy a high dollar raw card off Ebay anymore.
    Working on these raw sets:
    54 & 55 Bowman
    55, 56, 58, & 60 Topps.
    Have lots of cards, including some PSAs, 53-58 to trade.
    Also, have Football 55-57 to trade for BB cards.

YOU DON'T RUN ON ROBERTO CLEMENTE!!!
  • Options

<< <i>that's just par for the course when buying raw from Ebay. If the description says NM, you can bet it's EX. Unfortunately, overgrading is the norm. Too bad that there are so many dishonest people out there. I just won't buy a high dollar raw card off Ebay anymore. >>

Yeah, I hear ya man. I just love those guys that say "This card is in Excellent condition", yeah so what does that mean? PSA 5 or whatever?

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe they were damaged because someone did a sportsitup on them. >>

Yeah, maybe you do that for some of your customers right? I hate dishonest people!

Giovanni
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    All grading is subjective.

If the sellers says "NRMT"....... think its EX. If he says EX.... think VG/EX

If your guessing its going to be an 8 from a scan, your basically crossing your fingers and hoping.
    Not much difference in eye appeal between a 6 and an 8 (except the 8 will cost you 2X more for basically the same card).

But if a seller says "No creases" and you find a crease then thats a misleading description. I dont know about cheaper under $25 cards, but for more expensive cards (with blurry or small scans) I will sometimes ask questions and ask for closeup scans front and back before I bid.
  • Options
    Yeah it's no secret that most sellers of raw material over grade. I think they get away with because right now they know if they get a neg they'll just neg you back. That's why a lot of guys here have two different ebay IDs, one for buying and one for selling.