Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Any of you Lincoln Variety guys need a 1994 DDR FS-801 (formerly FS-039.9)?

$500 or best offer delivered. I'm sure PCGS will re-slab it to make it registry friendly in the variety set:

As a bonus, it is an as yet still unique version of this DDR as per Wiles/CONECA:

See the CONECA site as well: LINK to DDR-002

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has graded a 65 and a 66.
    Doug
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I know Doug. Your 65RD was the coin I made (I think from an NGC 64RD if I recall). If it isn't then there's still a 65RD floating around in a mint error holder.

I think the 66RD was an ANACS 67.

Neither were Die #2 (certainly not the 65RD I made or the ANACS 67RD I'm referring to).

I think that THIS is yours now:

Some other ones I've made below:

• Options
    You are right, that is my MS65. But, I'm confused now. Is the one you are selling a 39.9? If it is a different die, it would not be a 39.9, correct?
    Doug
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Best I can tell is that the difference is so subtle that PCGS treats either as the same FS# but Wiles, as detail oriented as he is, saw enough of a difference that he assigned another die #. They are almost the same:

Die #1: Very strong spread with extra columns in the lower portion of bay #2, 3, 4, and 10 and almost a full extra column in bay #11

Die #2: Very strong spread with light but complete extra columns in bay # 3, 4, 10, and 11

Die 1 has something going on in bay 2 whereas Die 2 does not.
    Die 2 has COMPLETE extra columns in all 4 bays noted whereas Die 1 does not (it only has them in the lower portion of bays 2, 3, & 4 an "almost" complete column in bay 11).

There are some other varieties where CONECA has two (or more) different numbers for that PCGS and the Cherrypickers treat as one variety.

Note also that I discovered this one after the last CPG update (or at least they didn't know about it before the last update went to print).

Frankly, I don't know how many PCGS (or any grading service) has designated FS-039.9 that have been inspected closely enough to determine which die they were. I know all the ones I've handled were not except this one. Seems much rarer than the Die #1.

Rather amazaingly, the 65 & 66 are currently the ONLY 2 in the PCGS pop report for this variety recorded as being graded using PCGS # 38102 so that they can go into the new variety registry sets.

Note that even the bible (i.e. Cherrypickers Guide Fourth Edition Volume One) on the bottom of page 152 describes the doubling on this (i.e. FS-039.9) variety as:

"Doubling is evident as strong extra columns between the last three columns" - i.e. doubling ONLY in bay 10 & 11 as the spaces BETWEEN the last three columns represent only TWO bays - i.e. 10 & 11.

Even THIS is inconsistent (and appears to be yet a third - and inferior - variation of the doubling one might expect to see on this variety) with the explicit CONECA description above in that it doesn't mention the completeness of the doubling (although one might say that it implies complete columns to fit the description and not just partial or almost complete ones - i.e. Die #2 might be considered to fit better with THIS description) AND it doesn't mention doubling in MORE than 2 areas (whereas CONECA clearly lists it in 4-5 areas - ie. Die 1 = 5 & Die 2 = 4) AND it only mentions doubling in the LAST two bays (i.e. 10-11).

Even the image the CPG itself shows is inconsistent: i.e. it DOES NOT show "strong extra columns between the last three columns" but instead shows an apparently full extra column in bay 11 and ONLY a partial one in bay 10. This appears to be yet another "accepted" variation in the pickups for this variety.

My guess is that there are a few minor variations of the doubling and all of them would be considered as falling under the FS-039.9 designation. I've handled about 12 or so (some obtained raw) and all appeared similar except the one pictured above.

I personally think that what is more appropriate is three different die states (i.e. EDS, MDS, LDS, perhaps with stages of each, such as A/B/C, etc.) rather than three different dies (of course with only two documented and noted to date thus far but it seems clear that the coin the CPG describes is yet another IF the CONECA description is accurate - which it is from MY observsations) but I'm not the expert - Wiles is.

To confuse things EVEN FURTHER, Chuck at coppercoins lists FIVE DDR's for the date of which only two appear to match what we've been discussing here - i.e. 1994P-1DR-001 and
    1994P-1DR-003. His #1 is no doubt FS-039.9 but his #3 seems to something else entirely while still similar. He also says that FS-039.9 ONLY has the extra columns inside the LAST TWO bays which is in itself inconsistent with the CONECA description (which says there is doubling in 4-5 bays) AND inconsistent with all specimens I've seen.

Apparently he examined a die state similar to what the CPG authors examined and catalogued in that only the last two bays show doubling but it is well known that "more deserable" versions have doubling in THOSE bays PLUS some others.

Lastly, his DDR-003 is DEFINITELY NOT an FS-039.9 OR the CONECA Die #2 (confused enough yet???) as the "doubling" is only a straight line and NOT extra columns. Perhaps an LDS Stage C++???
  • Options
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
    Doug