Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

is there any coin metal that ANNOYS you

for some reason I just can't stand the feel of an aluminum based coin, no matter what the design.

ironically, I think aluminum bronze is ultra-pretty, but I can't stand the "feel"

just had to get that off my chest.

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I quite agree. Aluminum based coins DO feel crummy. I also dislike most of the modern bimetallic coins, not necessarily for the "feel" factor, but because they just look "cheap", if that makes any sense.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    same
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    White metal. From the time it is minted, it deteriorates to a black crust and it is irreversable.image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Zinc
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    aluminum
  • Options

<< <i>I also dislike most of the modern bimetallic coins, not necessarily for the "feel" factor, but because they just look "cheap", if that makes any sense. >>

I've always thought that as well.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Zinc and steel are the worst in my opinion. Zinc actually can look nice when glossy and new but it almost always corrodes, with white powdery lumps all over the coin - nasty! Steel seems prone to really low relief, poorly struck designs.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the posters above except in the case of bimetallic coins. I love the Canadian two dollar coin.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zinc

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Zinc... to make worst here in Paraguay we have a very humid weather.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Gold. I can't photograph it worth sh*t...
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>Gold. I can't photograph it worth sh*t... >>

Gold sucks to photograph I have a Irish gold proof 20 euros I am not in a hurry to shoot. This is how my gold coins turn out:

As far as what metals annoy me? Aluminum based coins the feel like plastic.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Aluminium (as they say in Britain) and zinc both stink.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    zinc, worst metal for a coin that has ever been used in a coin.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
  • Options
    Copper, Leaves an odor on the fingers.
  • Options
    Anything other than gold. image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aluminum--your are right, they don't feel right--probably because they are too light to seem like real coins. White metal is not great either although i don't know if coins were ever made from it--some medals were.
    Coins made from billon are bad also IMO.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Zinc can be nice. The top two below are zinc coins.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three metals I dislike in coinage. In order:

1. "Pearl Black", the high-zinc alloy the Pobjoy Mint used to make those "penny black" coins for Gibraltar and Isle of Man in 1990. It's supposed to look glossy black, but the stuff has a tendency to turn really nasty in the couple of decades since it's usage.

2. Anodized niobium. It's becoming more and more popular. The mint can make it turn all kinds of funky colours: yellow, green, blue, purple, you name it, you can get it. Talk about tacky. If I wanted pretty colours, I'd collect fluoro highlighters.

3. Zinc. Cheap and nasty, with an emphasis on the nasty if it's left exposed to air for any length of time.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    1. "Pearl Black", the high-zinc alloy the Pobjoy Mint used to make those "penny black" coins for Gibraltar and Isle of Man in 1990. It's supposed to look glossy black, but the stuff has a tendency to turn really nasty in the couple of decades since it's usage.

Yes, I bought a Gibraltar coin partially made out of the so-called "Pearl Black." When I bought the coin, it was very attractive, having a nice design. In short time, though, the black coloring started to literally OOZE [sic]. Picture a woman having a bad mascara day- running and smearing. That's basically what happened all around the rim of my coin.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zinc!

It's OK for collectors but it's horrible for users as well as infants and pets.

Copper plated zinc is nearly worse. (and it might not be at all good for collectors)
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    aluminum is about the only coin metal that i dislike
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take aluminum over zinc or iron anyday.

The Germans produced some horrible zinc and iron coins during both world wars.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    ZINC!!

Do you know how hard it is to find a decent copy of the Netherlands 25 cent "Viking Ship" coin (KM #174) from the 1940's?

I just fell in love with that coin, but my few copies are of such poor quality I could cry!

- - Dave image

link
  • Options
    Zinc here too.

But nickel is also annoying in that it often has weak strikes combined with a dark reflectiveness (not sure how to describe it). Some people are allergic to nickel as well (not I tho).
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile