Home Sports Talk
Options

Illitch opens his wallet - Tigers now among the big spending baseball teams

There was a time not long ago when the Tigers’ unofficial logo was a ratty-looking wallet with moths hovering. It was symbolic of how whenever owner Mike Ilitch took a dollar from that wallet, George Washington’s picture bore sunglasses because the bill hadn’t seen the light of day in years.

The Tigers were an example of what was wrong with baseball, a century-old franchise rich in tradition unable to compete in a game of mega revenues dominated by large-market teams from New York, Boston, Los Angeles and Chicago.

The Tigers were the overmatched $40-million payroll weakling, but they’re flexing more than their offensive muscles this season.

They’re now a fiscal power, boasting a $130-million-plus payroll that should rank among the top five in baseball.

The perception has changed.

During a recent national radio interview, I found it interesting when the host described the team’s off-season activity to me as “the Tigers dipping into their deep pockets” to lure Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from Florida.

The Tigers and “deep pockets” in the same sentence?

When did that change?

“You’ve got to mention us now in the same breath as the Yankees, Red Sox and the Mets,” said designated hitter Gary Sheffield, “because we’re showing that we’re not afraid to spend the money on what you need to win a championship. There aren’t many teams willing to do that.”

Commissioner Bud Selig once referred to the Tigers’ competitive and financial resurgence as one of his favorite baseball story lines of his tenure; he believed it validated the revenue-sharing system that grew from the rancorous labor dispute that killed the 1994 World Series.

But the key is that Ilitch reinvested in the team rather than merely pocketing the money to offset fiscal losses like other so-called “low-revenue” owners. Ilitch understood that growing the product correctly would grow interest and, as a result, grow revenues.

The Tigers’ 2007 attendance was 3,047,139, and early 2008 season-ticket sales were so brisk that sales of 81-game packages were temporarily suspended. The Tigers are possibly looking at sellouts for all 81 home games.

According to 2007 Opening Day payrolls obtained by USA Today, the Tigers had the ninth-highest payroll ($95,180,369). Three years earlier, they had the seventh-lowest payroll in the majors, barely eclipsing $46 million.

They should exceed $130 million provided they do not trade Brandon Inge ($6.2 million salary in 2008) to shore up their bullpen. The early loss of Curtis Granderson to a fractured finger likely precludes such a move because Inge becomes the starting centerfielder in Granderson’s absence.

The Dodgers had the third-highest 2007 payroll adjusted for acquired salaries during the season and performance bonuses. According to MLB.com, the Dodgers’ adjusted 2007 payroll was $125.6 million.

“There has to be a commitment from everybody at every level if the ultimate objective is a championship,” Granderson said. “There’s definitely a ripple effect that goes through the clubhouse when you see management making those kind of moves. It tells you that they’re serious about developing and maintaining talent. That’s always been the right formula for winning.”

The Tigers no longer complain about the Yankees and Red Sox and their obvious revenue advantages. They’re fighting them on their own turf and not backing down.
A perfect example was the Tigers drafting high school pitching prospect Rick Porcello last summer, arguably the highest-rated prep prospect since Josh Beckett. Porcello plummeted through the first round because his contractual demands proved too daunting for most teams.

The Yankees and Red Sox thought he would fall to them, like many other high-priced prospects in the past.

But Ilitch told general manager Dave Dombrowski: Draft Porcello at 27th and sign him.

The payroll numbers will only get higher in the coming years. The Tigers signed Cabrera to a seven-year, $141-million contract extension that will bump his annual take to $20 million in 2009. They’re another year away from inking Justin Verlander to a contract worthy of his performance — likely in the $15-million-a-year neighborhood.

But Ilitch isn’t backing down.

Nobody’s laughing at the Tigers anymore.

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Soon, the $5 Little Ceasar's Hot-N-Ready's will be the $8 Little Ceasar's Hot-N-Ready's.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    spending freely doesn't guarantee WS-winning teams, as the Sox, Angels, and Yankees know too well.

I wish the Tigers plenty of luck, as long as they lose in the playoffs! GO SOX!
  • Options
    Nice to see an owner who wants to win. Everytime someone starts talking about a salary cap in baseball I always respond, "Only if it comes with a salary floor." It's a shame owners of teams like the Royals, Pirates, Twins etc...don't seem to care at all how their teams perform on the field.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It surely doesnt garuntee anything but unless you spend the money your limiting your teams chances...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Spending money on good players puts butts in the seats and increases sales of novelties, caps, jerseys, photos, programs, etc.

You may think these owners are crazy with the money they spend but because of who they sign to put on their jerseys brings them some huge income.

How much in one year do you think Jeter, ARod, Ortiz, Griffey Jr, etc etc generates in those sales? Rest assured, its a lot more cash than Jose Guillen.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Not at bad turn around; third worst team in baseball history in 2003 (only the 1899 Cleveland Spiders and 1962 Mets were worse) then World Series bound just three years later! I guess the Tigers are no longer the laughing stock in baseball, that's for sure. Looks like Illitch is making sure they get the last laugh instead. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Not at bad turn around; third worst team in baseball history in 2003 (only the 1899 Cleveland Spiders and 1962 Mets were worse) then World Series bound just three years later! I guess the Tigers are no longer the laughing stock in baseball, that's for sure. Looks like Illitch is making sure they get the last laugh instead. image >>

There is no guarantee of a world series payoff but it has gotten people excited and hopeful about this season. It is a nice diversion
    from the economic doom and gloom attitude around here, something to look forward to.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i went to law school in detroit, and illitch was the owner of the tiger and redwings and he was a great owner, i remember going to the opening day season ticket holders party for the away game. and he's always spent on the redwings. if either team is good and has a shot to win he does the deal. classy guy classy organizations. A+. bought the tigers just so someone would not buy them and move them out of town.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Mike Illitch is a much nicer owner and more fan friendly than the previous owner Tom Monahan, many people were glad to see the
    change in ownership of the team.

They both made their fortunes in pizza but interestingly enough never met face to face in working out the deal for the sale
    of the team, it was all done by lawyers.