Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

'75 Seychelles... pics

I picked this up the other day (along with 8 other world coins that I'm not really familiar with) because the shape caught my eye & I thought the reverse was cool: "Grow More Food"!!! image

Then I had to go learn some new geography (the greatest thing about world coins)... and found out that this coin was produced the year prior to independence ~

I didn't find any additional info in the forum archives... and none to 'compare value' with on eBay... so, any ideas or info??

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I have no access to my Krause books (seeing that I am currently in Basel) but with the legend "Grow More Food" I have to assume that this is an F.A.O. coin.

I've always thought that a collection of FAO coins would be interesting to build. You can find FAO folders on eBay often with the coins included but I think it would be fun to build the collection from "circulated" coins.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KM18 1975 Seychelles 5 Cents, Aluminum, XF=.10, Unc=.25

The whole Krause entry is:

Aluminum, 18.5mm, SERIES: FAO, Obv: Young bust right OBV Designer: Arnold Machin REV: Cabbage head. Shape: Scalloped, Mintage 1,200,000

Here is the Krause Seychelles write-up:

"The Republic of Seychelles, an archipelago of 85 granite and coral islands situated in the Indian Ocean 600 miles (965 km.) northeast of Madagascar, has an area of 156 sq. mi. (455 sq. km.) and a population of 70,000. Among these islands are the Aldabra Islands, the Farquahar Group, and Ile Desroches, which the United Kindom ceded to the Seychelles upon its independence. Capital: Victoria, on Mahe. The economy is based on fishing, a plantation system of agriculture, and tourism. Copra, cinnamon and vanilla are exported.

Although the Seychelles is marked on Portuguese charts of the early 16th century, the first recorded visit to the islands, by an English ship, occurred in 1609. The Seychelles were annexed to France by Captain Lazare Picault in 1743 and permanently settled in 1768, with the intention of establishing spice plantations to compete with the Dutch monopoly of the spice trade. British troops seized the islands in 1810, during the Napoleonic Wars; the Treaty of Paris, 1814, formally ceded them to Britain. The Seychelles was a dependency of Mauritius until Aug 31, 1903, when they became a separate British Crown Colony. The colony was granted limited internal self-government in 1970, and attained independence on June 28, 1976, becoming Britain's last African possession to do so. Seychelles is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. The president is the Head of State and of Government."

When I get bulk lots or world coins in general, both my son and I enjoy reading the Krause write-ups and learning new countries. I've been tempted to take some of the smaller countries/entries I've never heard of and see if I can complete a run of coins. Seychelles is sort of large by comparison, but take the next entry in Krause: Sharjah... 9 coins, low mintages, but big price tags. Might be fun to try someday.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty common in unc.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>It's pretty common in unc. >>

Too bad I didn't find an UNC... image