Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Value of 1975 miniatures

I thought that the miniature versions were produced in much smaller numbers than their full sized versions. I wonder why their values don't seem to reflect this. In many cases you can find the minis for the same or lower price than the full sized cards. I'm working on a complete set of the minis just because I find them to be an interesting oddball item. I'm not complaining about it, I just wonder what the reason is. Maybe they just aren't popular with collectors. Oh well, I can complete my set at a lower price.

On a side note, has anyone ever seen album pages made for this size? I'd like to put my set in an album and I think it would look much better in pages that had smaller pockets.

Comments

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Popularity is the reason. Many less minis were produced (Michigan and West Coast distribution, I think), but collectors seem to shy away from the minis. I personally love the set. That's all we could get in Seattle, at least at the 7-11 where I bought my packs.

I used to have pages for them, but they were the old, thick ones that turned pinkish over time. I house mine in 9-pocket Ultra Pros. Not the best solution, but as long as the bottom edge of the card hits the bottom of the pocket squarely, then I think they are ok.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of interesting.

I remember when the mini's brought about 1.5X book.

The Ryan is still my favorite.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I ran across a stash of them at a small show a few weeks back. This dealer's prices were about 15-20% higher for the minis than the regular 1975s, but he told me several times that everything was negotiable. I wasn't really interested, but the 1975 is a pretty set, in full or 2/3 scale. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm more the anti-mini. That is, I love the 1975 set but I want the big cards. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    i've been wondering that too in recent years. i also wonder if the decline in value of the 1975T set (either version) has been attributed not only to the internet, but people seeing the minis now as just a surplus. Too bad really because i thought that was a cool little one-off gimmick. Those minis really commanded premium value 10-15 years ago and now they seem to be unfairly shat on. I will say tho, not a day goes by that i don't dream of ways to amass 25k to get Steve's sealed case of them!!! Shat on or not, that's an item sure to increase in value!
  • Options
    It's good to see that there are some other people that liked them as well. I have two of the 1986 and 87 Fleer miniatures which I liked as well. I still like to look at those sets occasionally even though they have practically no value. I bought them as a child and they just bring back some happy memories for me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 75 mini buyers are even more fanatic than the 75 regular collectors, though, IMO. If you have a low pop common, a 1/1 or 1/2, the mini will usually command the higher price.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shameless showing off - but it's one of my favorite cards. I apologize.

I can't believe I was lucky enough to get it for a trade - I shared half my table at a Sunday show for it - it was ungraded.

The set's way too big for me to even consider doing in graded form.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Rumor has it that there is a huge stash of unopened cases (We're talking palets and palets) in Michigan that has been slowly dripped into the market over the last 15 years. While the production run is much lower than 75 topps, there are many more high grade minis comparitively. Think about it: How many unopened boxes of the minis have you seen vs. the regular?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Rumor has it that there is a huge stash of unopened cases (We're talking palets and palets) in Michigan that has been slowly dripped into the market over the last 15 years. While the production run is much lower than 75 topps, there are many more high grade minis comparitively. Think about it: How many unopened boxes of the minis have you seen vs. the regular? >>

That stash, from what I've heard, is actually on Edison St. in Ann Arbor-- which is about 1.5 miles away from my house.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    hmmmm interesting and i wouldn't doubt it, being that michigan seemed to be a test market dumping ground for topps. even doing a search on ebay for unopened 75s and the ratio of mini:regular is usually 10:1. there just may be enough 'unopened' out there to cover thousands of bars in wrappers, if you get me drift......
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    75 minis are being affected by economic crunch as well.

psa 9 aarons, brett & yount rc have all been selling lately WELL below smr or e-bay smr, which is a first in quite a while.

buyer's market all the way

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rumor has it that there is a huge stash of unopened cases (We're talking palets and palets) in Michigan that has been slowly dripped into the market over the last 15 years. While the production run is much lower than 75 topps, there are many more high grade minis comparitively. Think about it: How many unopened boxes of the minis have you seen vs. the regular? >>

That stash, from what I've heard, is actually on Edison St. in Ann Arbor-- which is about 1.5 miles away from my house. >>

Boo,

Is that the house of the guy who advertises (with small ads) in the SCD for T206's and other vintage stuff (thought he might be in Ypsi though, can't remember his name).

In any case, let me know when you want to go visit Edison St. I'll be the lookout guy and the driver. I have two Pontiac Montanas that we can use as the getaway cars.

-Tom
  • Options
    So plifter, I take it you're staying w/ raw instead of graded? If it's slabbed and not a 9 or 10, you're spent too much...
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That stash, from what I've heard, is actually on Edison St. in Ann Arbor-- which is about 1.5 miles away from my house. >>

Boo,

Is that the house of the guy who advertises (with small ads) in the SCD for T206's and other vintage stuff (thought he might be in Ypsi though, can't remember his name).

In any case, let me know when you want to go visit Edison St. I'll be the lookout guy and the driver. I have two Pontiac Montanas that we can use as the getaway cars.

-Tom >>

I'm not sure if it's that guy or not. The guy I'm thinking of puts full page advertisements in the front of one of the annual price guides-- or at least he did in 2003 (that's the last year I have). I can't remember why I think this guy is sitting on pallets of '75 Minis, although I'm sure I must have heard it at Gibraltar from somebody.

In any case (pardon the lame pun), I agree that we're going to have to take this guy out. I'll head up to your place, we'll fire up those Montanas, and then we'll ransack this greedy bloosucker's stash. Once we've got the mufflers dragging on the minivans we'll head back to my place for a night of Hungry Howies and serious wax ripping.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<In any case (pardon the lame pun), I agree that we're going to have to take this guy out. I'll head up to your place, we'll fire up those Montanas, and then we'll ransack this greedy bloosucker's stash. Once we've got the mufflers dragging on the minivans we'll head back to my place for a night of Hungry Howies and serious wax ripping.>>

Make it Cottage Inn, and we have ourselves a deal. After the way my freaking Spartans played last night, I'm ready for some wax rips. And when we're done opening the packs, we can redo your bar with the wrappers. Or organize a 75 mini group rip on these boards. Whichever makes more sense.
  • Options

<< <i><<In any case (pardon the lame pun), I agree that we're going to have to take this guy out. I'll head up to your place, we'll fire up those Montanas, and then we'll ransack this greedy bloosucker's stash. Once we've got the mufflers dragging on the minivans we'll head back to my place for a night of Hungry Howies and serious wax ripping.>>

Make it Cottage Inn, and we have ourselves a deal. After the way my freaking Spartans played last night, I'm ready for some wax rips. And when we're done opening the packs, we can redo your bar with the wrappers. Or organize a 75 mini group rip on these boards. Whichever makes more sense. >>

Enough on the Spartans. Last night was a tragedy; all we can do is wait for next year, and pray that Lucas ends up as good as advertised.

Nice to see your on board with 'Operation Daggett'. I'll get the logistics over to you shortly.
  • Options

<< <i>So plifter, I take it you're staying w/ raw instead of graded? If it's slabbed and not a 9 or 10, you're spent too much... >>

Yes, I'm specifically going for raw cards. I don't really have an interest in slabbed sets. It just costs too much.