Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2006 proof britannia question

Was looking thru ebay auctions and on a lark bid on a 2006 proof britannia , got out bid at 100 and watched it shoot to $280
I was a little surprised how high it went! Checked previous auctions and saw another that when for $375
Are they that scarce or is it just shill bidding? These were availible just a few months ago for $80 from the royal mint for heaven's sake.
Anyhoo seeing that made me stop dragging my feet and buy the '07 proof britannia while the royal mint is still offering them.

Comments

• Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    I was watching it also. Seems like all the prices for the proofs have been going up. Even from other sellers.
  • Options

<< <i>Was looking thru ebay auctions and on a lark bid on a 2006 proof britannia , got out bid at 100 and watched it shoot to $280
    I was a little surprised how high it went! Checked previous auctions and saw another that when for $375
    Are they that scarce or is it just shill bidding? These were availible just a few months ago for $80 from the royal mint for heaven's sake.
    Anyhoo seeing that made me stop dragging my feet and buy the '07 proof britannia while the royal mint is still offering them. >>

Seems a tad excessive to me, in that money range I would rather have my money in cased set (two 97 sets sold recently for that kind of money). With that said, I still think Proof Britannias are a bargian with their minisucle mintages.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. The 2007 in NGC PF69 barely sells for the cost of slabbing and shipping. I think these will go up in time.

EDIT: I originally said MS69, rather than PF69.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, the post was about proofs, not "cuurency" uncs., and slabbed British coins do not always have the cache they may have with US. So I would not necessarily get as excited about the latter. I think the proof prices may go on a ride and come down just as the piefort 1983 silver pounds did....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember, the post was about proofs, not "cuurency" uncs., and slabbed British coins do not always have the cache they may have with US. So I would not necessarily get as excited about the latter. I think the proof prices may go on a ride and come down just as the piefort 1983 silver pounds did.... >>

I mistyped: I meant to write PF69 rather than MS69 (previous post corrected). I've seen a couple NGC PF68 and PF69 2007 britannias go for around $100-$115, which is roughly the cost of the coin + slabbing + shipping to and fro.

Most of the uncircs are also fairly close to cost plus slabbing for MS69s.