Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In the spirit of Coin Uno... The Dating Game!

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Does this help you alongimage
  • Options
    The 1790s-

US Presidents:
    George Washington
    John Adams

Points of interest:
    French Revolution
    Coinage Act passed (1792)

• Options
    Man, barely got that one in before the 1780simage

Oh, and what's this about John Hanson?image

(looked it up, hadn't heard that)image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Hanson, the First President of the United States (this is part of the stuff they DIDNT teach you in school)

http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Very interesting article!

Linkified
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    games getting tougher now that the US mint hasnt been founded image

Good time for colonials, Ive got a 1787 NJ cent ready....
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Ok, I'll cheat, I don't own this.

• Options
    My icon....

• Options
  • Options
    Beat ya' image
  • Options

<< <i>Beat ya' image >>

image Calling AMBRO!!! This is your date!!!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    home for lunch...
  • Options
    bump for night crew need 1786

should be another NJ cent out there....
  • Options

The 1780s-

US Presidents:
    John Hanson (President of the United States in Congress Assembled, or pre-constitutional United States)

<< <i>Linkified >>

George Washington

Thanks for the info on John Hanson, Ambro51! Always nice to learn something new and interesting. image

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bump for night crew need 1786

should be another NJ cent out there.... >>

So does that mean 1jester's "17A86" darksider doesn't count? Whatever that is that he posted, isn't a "Thaler" a precursor to our own dollar? Or isn't that darksider a real coin? I've seen some medals garner mettle here on this thread. So what is next 1786 or 1785?

Edited" methinks that jester has had me with his April Fools joke! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    youre right 85 image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>bump for night crew need 1786

should be another NJ cent out there.... >>

So does that mean 1jester's "17A86" darksider doesn't count? Whatever that is that he posted, isn't a "Thaler" a precursor to our own dollar? Or isn't that darksider a real coin? I've seen some medals garner mettle here on this thread. So what is next 1786 or 1785?

Edited" methinks that jester has had me with his April Fools joke! image >>

I'm welcoming darksiders to post here!image If we're gonna make a run of this, we'll definitely need their help! (Plus they have some SWEET coins that we'd otherwise miss out on!image)

Edited to add: I can't remember when I've seen such a collection of quality coins and good mix of denominations in one place! image 'preciate it guys!

Keep 'em comin', I'm joining back in around the Dark Ages image

Oh, and 1785 is up.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Wow I thought this would have gotten to 1776 by now; things have realy slowed down image
  • Options
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow I thought this would have gotten to 1776 by now; things have realy slowed down image >>

I got left behind at the station after 1795.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    The joke's on me, folks, since I didn't realize you wouldn't accept a genuine 1786 Thaler from Berlin...image Sorry about the lack of the obverse; something's amiss with CU's archives.

imageimageimage

PS: Happy April, Fools!!
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, this one's nasty, but it has a readable 1781 date. 1781 is where we're s'posed to be, right? (I can't view most everybody else's pix on this server at work, 'cause of the Photobucket block).

It's a Spanish Colonial (Mexico City) half-real piece.

I dug it in the roadbed of the Old Sunbury Road in Liberty County, Georgia, while out metal detecting. A really nasty early Indian cent and an equally nasty unknown "mystery" colonial copper (French 2-sous, I suspect) were also found, as was a small Civil War "Eagle I" cuff button. The CW button was relatively near this coin, while the other coins and relics were in different parts of the old road. The Old Sunbury Road was unchanged for something like 250 years- just a straight dirt path through the piney woods. It ended at the old dead town of Sunbury, which once rivaled Savannah as a port but declined after the War of 1812, and pretty much evaporated by the mid-1800s.

Only in the last decade has the dead town begun to reawaken, with new construction. Now the old road is closed off and posted NO TRESPASSING, so there went a couple of miles of interesting treasure hunting. Oh, well. (It was tough as heck to hunt, though, because of the millions of pulltabs, cans, and shotgun shells scattered by modern hunters. Very trashy, but with the occasional colonial goodie mixed in amongst the trash.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    C'mon now this should be an easy move. Whos got a Maria Thersa Thaler, 1780 is called
  • Options
    1780 8 Reales, Potosi mint. Surely standard fare in the early United States:

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

This is getting very interesting! Here are coins that you just don't see every day, keep 'em comin'!!image

The 1770s-

Points of interest:

The Declaration of Independence, ratified by the Continental Congress (July 4, 1776), marked the beginning of the revolutionary war.

British Captain James Cook discovers Hawaii, which he names the Sandwich Islands after his benefactor, the Earl of Sandwich. Cook goes on to explore an Alaskan estuary, now called Cook's Inlet, in hopes that it might be the Northwest Passage, and sails along the Northwest seacoast, where he trades the Indians pennies for sea otter pelts that will fetch $100 in China.

LINK to find some historic facts, as found above.
  • Options
    You should start naming British, French, Spanish and Austrian monarchs decade by decade.

Here's a Dutch East India Co. piece

• Options

<< <i>You should start naming British, French, Spanish and Austrian monarchs decade by decade. >>

I just may!image It would be interesting to research, the British monarchy in particular. Hmm.....

Besides, I've been wondering what to do until we hit the dark ages. image

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm out until 1772 or so image
  • Options
    Really cool coins- I am enjoying this "darkside" stuff way more than I'd have thought. Unfortunately, I ran out of coins to post after 1829 passed.
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    You can only go back to 1484, I believe.

• Options
    Actually, there was a Danish coin dated 1234, but they're hard to come by and we'd never be able to post it due to the 250 year time frame between those two. Civitas has also posted a coin with Roman numerals on the Darkside oldest dated thread; it's kind of cool looking!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Here's a bit of info from Wikipedia on events of the 1760s and 1770s, pertinent to the time period we are now entering.

(I'll add info as I get the time.)

King George III (1760-1820)

During the 1760s and 1770s, relations between the Thirteen Colonies and Britain became increasingly strained, primarily because of resentment of the British Parliament's attempts to govern tax American colonists without their consent. Disagreement over the American colonist's guaranteed Rights as Englishmen turned to violence and, in 1775, the American Revolutionary War began. The following year, the colonists declared the independence of the United States and, with economic and naval assistance from France, would go on to win the war in 1783.

Events in America influenced British policy in Canada, which had seen a large influx of loyalists during the Revolutionary War. The Constitutional Act of 1791 created the provinces of Upper Canada (mainly English-speaking) and Lower Canada (mainly French-speaking) to defuse tensions between the two communities, and implemented governmental systems similar to those employed in Britain, with the intention of asserting imperial authority and not allowing the sort of popular control of government that was perceived to have led to the American Revolution. The future of British North America was briefly threatened during the War of 1812 resulting in large part from British attempts to forcibly control Atlantic shipping and trade, and in which the United States unsuccessfully took the opportunity to extend its border northwards. This was the last time that Britain and America went to war. The last major territorial dispute between the two countries, the Oregon boundary dispute, was settled peacefully in 1846.

• Options
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that I am jumping the gun, but I am going to be busy today:

imageimage

1776 M PJ Spain 1/2 Escudo VF35 [PCGS] from the RYK Collection of Colonial US Coins for the Masses image
  • Options
    I used to own this....

• Options
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    1774 up next. (edit thought it was 1777 but that one came in slower than the rest) What an amazing thread!

Wasn't there a time when the calendar itself was changed? How far _can_ this go?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's going to be a long time before I can post my old Roman coin dated 122 B.C. image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's going to be a long time before I can post my old Roman coin dated 122 B.C. image >>

Don't hold your breath!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    500!! Wow, that was fast!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file