Home Sports Talk
Options

Canseco's new book.

Did anyone else see his interview on Nightline last night? In his latest book, which releases today, he attacks more major leaguers in an attempt to tear MLB apart. The two big names in this one......A-Rod and Magglio Ordonez. He also took 2 polygraph tests from 2 different agencies on the Ordonez situation and passed every single question. And we thought it was the end of this stuff?!

Comments

• Options
    Henry Hill Canseco.

Someone needs to take a louisville slugger to his kneecaps.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    He just keeps on saving tidbits to put himself back in the limelight. Personally, Im getting bored with him.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I bought a signed copy of his last book fairly cheap and was surprised it was a pretty good read. 95% of it being Canseco's impression of the players and coaches around him and little controversy.

I do understand the book/books is/are Canseco's view and likely bias, but it seems to me the sports media has been way to hard on the first one. Almost every time it is mentioned, they question the truth or make a small statement at such aim. But I can't actually recall anything mentioned in his book that was proven not to be true.

Canseco may be a lot of things, and coming clean to get back at the end does not make you a saint, but it does not appear to me that Canseco is lying on any account.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I agree that on most counts, what we have found out havent been lies but he is doing all this for himself, not for baseball. Saving info to keep himself in the limelight. He was even mad that he wasnt invited to Mitchell conference.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that on most counts, what we have found out havent been lies but he is doing all this for himself, not for baseball. Saving info to keep himself in the limelight. He was even mad that he wasnt invited to Mitchell conference. >>

He flat out says in the interview that he is doing all of this to get back at baseball.
  • Options
    I think one also has to consider, or at least with this second book, the sales of the first. It was a New York Times best seller for like 7 weeks. That would make your publisher come to you and wave a little money.

Mind you Canseco isn't technically writing the books. He is giving interviews and statements to a ghost writer.

In other words, I don't blame Canseco for taking I imagine 3-4 million (plus possible bonuses) for doing a couple dozen interviews.

In the interview last night, Canseco was quite visually mad. I imagine the thing he repeated the most was, "Let them call me a liar now." He also defended Roger Clemens, noting the party story was not true.

I transcribed all the Rogers Clemens reference in his first book a few weeks ago, so if you search this forum with "Canseco Clemens Juiced" it should bring it up if this interests anyone.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I would guess that A-Rod (and Pujols, and for that matter just about all of the rest of them) are on HGH or some other performance enhancer. Not that I can blame them-- the money is just too good not to do it. I'd shoot turkey basters full of chemicals into my butt if it would make me 25 mill a year, and that doesn't even include the fan adoration, etc.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Canseco is the modern day Hal Chase, a completely despicable rogue.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    what better way to promote his book than to accuse big name players. it gets boring. i would love to see a defamation suit come up against him.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Baseball needs more Canseco if they want to clean up. He seems to me to be the most trustworthy of anyone in this affair. You won't see any defamation cases because I'm sure there is plenty of truth in his stories and players don't want to go down the road of proving exactly what they are and aren't using.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "He seems to me to be the most trustworthy of anyone in this affair. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

I agree.

It is important to note that JC has NOT said A-Rod has broken the rules.

JC put forward a story - which seems credible - regarding some circumstances
    surrounding one or more meetings between JC, A-Rod, and third-parties known
    to have procured illegal drugs for others. That is a long way from an allegation
    that A-Rod "used illegal drugs."
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Maybe Canseco bribed Clemens and Clemens actually paid him off, unlike Ordonez
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    were both of these players named in the mitchell report?
  • Options

<< <i>were both of these players named in the mitchell report? >>

Which two?

A-Rod? No
    Clemens? Yes
    Canseco? Sort of
    Ordonez? No
    Goot? No
    Yankeeno7? Sort of

Jk on later two of course.