Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does anyone ship to unconfirmed paypal addreses?

I have a buyer who just purchased 2 cards totaling $154 on Ebay. They appear to be a solid ebayer, but their mailing address is unconfirmed. Should I ship or require a different method of payment or that they clear up address with paypal?

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    NO!

go into your paypal preferences and set them to NOT accept those payments in the future.

You have no protection from paypal if you ship and something happens or allegedly does.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I don't either. However, isn't there a change where Paypal will still cover you?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't either. However, isn't there a change where Paypal will still cover you? >>

I believe that only applies to Powerscrewers and most likely only up to a certain dollar amount.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Goose is right, don't do it. Don't let them talk you into it either.

Losing $154 in sales is not as bad as losing $154 in cards!
  • Options

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully, the buyer will clear things up.
  • Options

<< <i>NO!

go into your paypal preferences and set them to NOT accept those payments in the future.

You have no protection from paypal if you ship and something happens or allegedly does. >>

I didnt know you could block unconfirmed. Just fixed that !! Thanks.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Since you don't know the person, I would not do it.

I often ship to UCon-Addys, for folks who are traveling,
    and for folks who want a gift sent to a friend/relative.
    BUT, ONLY if I have had satisfactory transactions with
    the buyer in the past. (Sometimes, I will do it for a new
    customer buying a cheap item, IF I chat with them and
    the hair on my polygraph-neck does not bristle.)

The new EBAY/PP scheme will protect PSers who ship
    "as requested." BUT, there will be ALOT of hoops to jump
    through in order to resolve problems in the circumstance.

An honest buyer can usually fix their addy with PP, in just
    a few minutes.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a buyer who just purchased 2 cards totaling $154 on Ebay. They appear to be a solid ebayer, but their mailing address is unconfirmed. Should I ship or require a different method of payment or that they clear up address with paypal? >>

You yourself say that he is a solid ebayer, why penalize him? Is there a history of him scamming people out of cards?
    Not everyone has a credit card to confirm their address. I myself look at there overall experience on e-bay, feedback from sellers.
    Each situation is different.
    Not having a confirmed address does not mean the person is not honest, it usually means they don't have a credit card to link to their account.
  • Options
    "Not having a confirmed address does not mean the person is not honest, it usually means they don't have a credit card to link to their account. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It really is not about "honest."

It is about chargebacks that come after "unauthorized use" PayPal claims.
    Most such claims are made by "honest" folks whose accounts were used
    without their authorization.

Hijacked accounts are a MAJOR problem, currently.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with most of the posters' comments.

DO NOT DO IT!

If the potential buyer backs out, at least you can put the cards back up.

If this is a scam, say good bye to the cards and have zero protection.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Where on the site can I change my preference to block unconfirmed addresses?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Options
    "Where on the site can I change my preference to block unconfirmed addresses?

Thanks in advance for the help."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PayPal - Your Account - "Preferences"
  • Options
    forget it, I found it.

Thanks
  • Options
    I have shipped to unconfirmed addresses a million with no problem ever.

Whats the whole big deal of shipping to them? What, can they say they never got the item or something like that? If so, maybe I had to never worry because every single package I have ever shipped out as had signature confirmation or at worst delivery confirmation.

I never ever shipped a card or any other item with no kind of tracking, I don't trust it without any kind of tracking.

If you use tracking like I do, then ship away to anybody you want, unless of course theres something I don't know? Is there something else other than a person saying they never received their package?

Giovanni
  • Options
    "If you use tracking like I do, then ship away to anybody you want, unless of course theres something I don't know? Is there something else other than a person saying they never received their package?"

////////////////////////////////////////

Non-PSers are NOT covered under the new PayPal scheme.

A non-PSer who ships anything to a non-con-addy, will lose
    both a PP claim and a credit-card chargeback. It does NOT
    matter what kind of "confirmation/tracking" you get.

An "unauthorized-use" claim may/may not succeed against
    PSers, if the CC cvompany is handling the deal. BUT, PP would
    protect the PSer's funds.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Gio, I think if I ship to your unconfirmed address, even with delivery confirmation, you can file a paypal chargeback. All I can prove is that I shipped it SOMEWHERE, not necessarily to you. I can prove that SOMEBODY received it, but if you say it wasn't you then I'll lose every time.

It's just that there's so many paypal chargebacks, you have to follow every paypal rule, except as Storm said above, if you know the buyer. If you don't know the buyer and you ship without confirmation or to an unconfirmed address you're taking a chance that you're sending the card free.

Like he said about unauthorized use - if somebody gets your paypal acct and orders something, there's no way they're having it shipped to your house. They have it shipped to an unconfirmed address.
  • Options
    Gio,

you'll do that until you get burnt one time.

• Options

<< <i>Gio, I think if I ship to your unconfirmed address, even with delivery confirmation, you can file a paypal chargeback. All I can prove is that I shipped it SOMEWHERE, not necessarily to you. I can prove that SOMEBODY received it, but if you say it wasn't you then I'll lose every time.

It's just that there's so many paypal chargebacks, you have to follow every paypal rule, except as Storm said above, if you know the buyer. If you don't know the buyer and you ship without confirmation or to an unconfirmed address you're taking a chance that you're sending the card free.

Like he said about unauthorized use - if somebody gets your paypal acct and orders something, there's no way they're having it shipped to your house. They have it shipped to an unconfirmed address. >>

WOW guys, thats some pretty scary stuff!!!!

I just might go into my account and change those settings image

Thanks for the info and you too Storm.

I guess the reason I always ship with tracking is becausae I got scammed for $2500 before. I'll try to make the story short.

This was back in 2003 I think. I was selling a 1997(I belive that was the year) Chevy Blazer 4 door, leather seats and all that, very nice car. It finaly sold for $2500 and when it came time for the payment, they paid by paypal, and I couldn't be happy enough because it was fast so that was great, I was just new to the whole paypal thing.

I received I think 3 payments from like 3 different credit cards, but I thought nothing of it because I was new and had no clue, lol. I the the payments were like this, the first for $1500, then $500 and another $500. I did ask why were they all separate payments with different names, and they said because they were borrowing their sisters card and brother or something like that.

I thought they were going to pay for shipping the car, but they later said that they were gona be in New York so they would pick it up. Ok, so they pick it up, I give them some ice tea and snack or whatever, the use the bathroom and so on, then their on their way. About a month later or whatever the time was, I get a charge back for each payment at a time, can't remember exactly how it happened in what order.

Then I call them and they say, oh, its my sister, she didn't want me to use her card so she's the one who did the chanrge back, that they had no idea she did that and why. Finaly the emails go back and forth for however long it was, until the number wasen't good anymore and that was that.

Lost $2500 so that was my lesson, and thats why I use tracking on everything or I will not ship. I remember one time and one time only a person asked that they didn't want Signature Confirmation because they wouldn't be home or whatever, and you should have seen me, I was thinking a million things in my mind, so I told him theres no way I can ship without signature, then he said can't you use delivery conf. so I said ok, and thats when I started to do delivery confirmation too, before that it was only signature, but I was waiting for that package to arrive and get feedback from him, lol.

Alright guy, thanks again for the info, I didn't know that!

Giovanni
  • Options
    I have never had an issue shipping to an unconfirmed address, its always been confirmed ones where issues try to pop up.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have shipped to unconfirmed addresses a million with no problem ever. >>

Me too. And I don't wait for checks to clear, either. I've never been burned by a buyer (other than a handful who never sent payment), and I've been doing this for 9 years.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    I always offer to help get them confirmed so the payment will be protected. Its a simple process that many new users have not done...but are willing, they just need help getting confirmed.

You might spend an hour and a couple emails to point them to the right set of steps, but I always offer to help them get confirmed.

Reject the payment, get them confirmed, then resend payment.....works everytime.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    If you don't want to ship to an unconfirmed address, that's fine, but you should state that in your auction.
  • Options
    "If you don't want to ship to an unconfirmed address, that's fine, but you should state that in your auction. "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

It can save alot of trouble.

Many folks will email and ask how to do it. You can help them
    follow the directions and they will buy the item immediately
    after they are confirmed. If all is OK, the process only takes a few
    minutes.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've shipped many items to unconfirmed addresses over the years and never had a problem. The way Paypal is set up these days, even shipping to a confirmed address is no guarantee against scammers, especially when you consider there are those that will wait for that "free" package that the mailman forgot to scan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I've shipped many items to unconfirmed addresses over the years and never had a problem. The way Paypal is set up these days, even shipping to a confirmed address is no guarantee against scammers, especially when you consider there are those that will wait for that "free" package that the mailman forgot to scan. >>

You are right there.. There is a way a buyer can enter a "gift" address into Paypal and Paypal will confirm it since the main address is already confirmed.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way ebay and PayPal would have "okayed" shipping to unconfirmed addresses for PowerSellers if it was a rampant problem. Yes, be careful and a lot of good advice given here, but I've had over 2,000 transactions on ebay, perhaps about 25%? were unconfirmed addresses, and I never had a problem with a scam. A few times I had an order from a low feedback buyer on a large ticket item, and I promptly refunded their payment, and asked them to get their address confirmed by PayPal - most did and the ones that couldn't paid with a money order. None canceled their order.

I think passing on unconfirmed addresses is a bad idea, a costly idea, if you want to maximize your profits on ebay. Just use common sense and be smart and you've got little to worry about - that's all my opinion...it's up to you whether or not to take the risk.

-
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I do mail to them, but just decide how much the item is worth 1st.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    "There's no way ebay and PayPal would have "okayed" shipping to unconfirmed addresses for PowerSellers if it was a rampant problem."

//////////////////////////////////////

Three-years ago, EBAY stopped being a "growth company."

Their USA customer population is shrinking rapidly.

The cheapest way for EBAY to allow sellers to capture new
    customers is to encourage international buyers. The new
    scheme is designed SOLELY to accomplish that.

Paying for the huge losses that will come via fraud is simply
    an expense EBAY is now willing to pay. The scheme will result
    in a net gain for EBAY and for many sellers.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i do all the time, i dont care if u are in iceland or the north pole, you got $, not a prob,ive been burrned a few times with bad check ,but very few ,i fugure if u are a chitty enuff and dishonest person to send me bad check,itll come bad at ya sooner or later, sometimes its the banks fault,not the person image
  • Options
    I also do it all the time, just make sure you get insurance and dc, then you are covered if they are in the US. Any outside of the US can get dicey no matter what.
  • Options
    I do all the time as well. Never had a problem. I always checked though to make sure they have great feedback.
  • Options
    "... just make sure you get insurance and dc, then you are covered if they are in the US... "

///////////////////////////////////////////////

DC will NOT save non-PowerSellers from a PP claim or a CC chargeback,
    if the item was shipped to a non-confirmed addy.

Insurance has ZERO to do with protecting the seller from buyer-fraud,
    or chargebacks.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"There's no way ebay and PayPal would have "okayed" shipping to unconfirmed addresses for PowerSellers if it was a rampant problem."

//////////////////////////////////////

Three-years ago, EBAY stopped being a "growth company."

Their USA customer population is shrinking rapidly.

The cheapest way for EBAY to allow sellers to capture new
    customers is to encourage international buyers. The new
    scheme is designed SOLELY to accomplish that.

Paying for the huge losses that will come via fraud is simply
    an expense EBAY is now willing to pay. The scheme will result
    in a net gain for EBAY and for many sellers. >>

I think I get your meaning here. I always laugh when I see the conniving CEO's of some car companies like GM, handing out these long warranties such as ten years, etc., with all these promises. Of course when the cars start breaking down, and the added cost of these warranties begins taking effect, these CEO's will have long ago been fired or quit, and grabbed their golden parachute for many millions of dollars, so they really don't care about the long term health of the company - just short term results to line their own pockets.

Could be the same type of thinking at ebay & PayPal with regards to short term profits, although ebay of course can react to situations much quicker than a car company. Ebay & PayPal could within a day send out an e-mail to PowerSellers and require confirmed addresses again. A GM can't cancel warranties without losing all credability.

Certainly the hard-core scammers of the world have taken notice to these ebay & PayPal changes and are planning their scams accordingly. How long ebay & PayPal will allow PowerSellers to ship to unconfirmed addresses remains to be seen.

In any event, we'll see what happens...and like the world of business in general, the sellers who succeed will make the right adjustments in an ever changing marketplace.

-
  • Options
    Could be wrong but not sure. Some people have their CC statements mailed to the office and want cards sent to there home, wouldn't that make it a uncomfirmed shipping/mailing address??
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    ping - yes.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i dont care if u are in iceland or the north pole, you got $, not a prob >>

Now there's a businessman!

<< <i>Could be wrong but not sure. Some people have their CC statements mailed to the office and want cards sent to there home, wouldn't that make it a uncomfirmed shipping/mailing address?? >>

More often I've found it's the other way around. There's nobody home to sign or they don't want cards left on the step, so they have the cards sent to their office.
  • Options

<< <i>Could be wrong but not sure. Some people have their CC statements mailed to the office and want cards sent to there home, wouldn't that make it a uncomfirmed shipping/mailing address?? >>

Actually it won't make it unconfirmed if they use it as a gift address. A buyer on Ebay that has a confirmed address can add a gift address and it be automatically confirmed. I have done it before and I have seen it done dozens of times.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    just happened to me on about a $1400 sale. my settings were already set not to accept from unconfirmed, but it still came through. i am sitting tight until i can get the buyer to confirm the addy with paypal. this is not the first time that an unconfirmed payment somehow got past the settings. you have to double check to be sure.