Home Sports Talk
Options

Totally OT: I am embarking on a major challenge today.

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
I'm eliminating all processed sugars and alcohol from my diet. For 60 days. The next time I have alcohol or anything with artificial sweeteners in it will be May 27. Natural sugars in fruit, etc. are fine. No high fructose corn syrup either.

I'm not doing it to lose weight, but rather to see if I have more energy, increase my metabolism, etc. I'm sure I'll drop a few pounds along the way.

Wish me luck, it's not going to be easy.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Ron image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    good luck hope it goes good.

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the record, I will increase my sugar and alcohol intake to ensure the universe stays balanced.

good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm eliminating all processed sugars and alcohol from my diet. For 60 days. The next time I have alcohol or anything with artificial sweeteners in it will be May 27. Natural sugars in fruit, etc. are fine. No high fructose corn syrup either.

I'm not doing it to lose weight, but rather to see if I have more energy, increase my metabolism, etc. I'm sure I'll drop a few pounds along the way.

Wish me luck, it's not going to be easy.

Ron >>

YOU CAN DO IT!!! image

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually fats in our diet is much worse than processed sugars. That being said, it is a good idea to reduce processed sugars as well. Although elimination of processed sugars in my opinion isn't practical or necessary for good health. Most people if not virtually everybody doesn't want to exist on a bland diet - and there's no need to have to have a bland diet for good health.

You are spot on when it comes to artificial sweeteners and also artificial coloring - that crap is long term poison in my opinion, and can be removed from our diets and our food and drink can still be enjoyable.

-
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Don't do it.
  • Options
    I think it will be challenging but not impossible. I know of people who swear off alcohol at the start of the year, every year, to clean out their system. This is kinda like that. I've also done a detoxification diet before which was much harder.

The big test will be a 36 hour stay in Vegas in a few weeks. If I can avoid alcohol there, I'll have it made.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Be sure to take some tylenol in case you get some headaches (sugar withdrawal).

The first time I went off caffeine in my early twenties I got headaches, so I took the tylenol and what
    a difference it made for me.

I would recommend taking the tylenol for four days. After that, the sugar withdrawal (if any) should be gone.

GOOD LUCK !
  • Options
    Now I'm really confused. You are going to Vegas soon and you choose now to give up alcohol? Please don't stay sober in Vegas. Nothing good can come from that. If you don't drink it's likely that you'll feel better about your gambling and next thing you know you'll end up like that degenerate CDsNuts guy. Seriously, this is one instance where booze will be good for your long term health.
  • Options
    <<< The big test will be a 36 hour stay in Vegas in a few weeks >>>

That'll kill ya a lot quicker than the sugar and the alcohol. LOL
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Good luck, I am sure you'll feel better. Exercise does wonders too. I usually workout at least every day, sometimes twice. I always have plenty of energy and can go on less sleep. I have had hardly any alcohol since August, but I might have a few in Vegas in June.
  • Options
    Wow, this is going to be harder than I thought. I just went to lunch and was about to buy a couple slices of glazed pork loin, then it hit me that the glaze part is full of sugar. So I settled for a piece of salmon instead.

Oh yeah, exercise is part of it too. That's partly why I'm doing this, to stay light on the tennis court.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I did just about the same thing, cut out my M. Dew and beer for about a month or so, quite snacking on junk stuff and had something healthy, stop eating after 8:00 p.m. I have lost almost 20 pounds and am at a weight that I am happy with. Best of luck it can be tough for the first week.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toughest part of any extreme diet modification is eating meals out of the house. I follow the Atkins plan pretty closely - easy at home, tough out of the house. Don't be shy about keeping some healthy food at hand. Good luck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I just recently started diet modification. I have not completely cut out carbs/processed sugars but they are greatly reduced. I bought plenty of fish, chicken(white meat, skinless, boneless), fruit, veggies (what I have a real hard time with), and nuts such as almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds.

3-4 snacks of veggies or nuts and 1 meal in a day. It may sound a bit strange but you should have seen the crap I was eating before.

I also cut out soda even though I drink diet. The artificial sweeteners still make our bodies react the same way as sugar would so unless you are diabetic, diet soda doesnt really do a whole lot for those of us who aren't. And I agree that artificial sweeteners are poison...but I believe that EVERYTHING in soda is poison. Its pretty much all chemical except for that tiny bit of citrus.

I have added a new excercise regime. One morning session and one evening session consisting of both cardio and weights.

Ive done this for only 2 weeks and have already dropped 12 lbs. Man, I need to shed more than I want to admit...seems to be working so we'll see how my body continues to react.

Oh, I also take some vitamins which really help with energy and how I feel. I take B complex, C, D, E, Fish oil, and fiber...yes, fiber...keep nice and regular to keep those pipes clean and moving!
  • Options

<< <i>for the record, I will increase my sugar and alcohol intake to ensure the universe stays balanced.

good luck! >>

I'm eating Twizzlers right now myself.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit the White Flower intake as well, that is a killer as far as weight loss is concerned. Also be aware that unless it says 100% Whole Wheat-its not.

50% diet / 50% excersise Ya need to do BOTH to stay in shape! Good luck. Also Good Luck in Vegas!
  • Options
    Good point Paul. I am not eating any breads or pasta...which is tough!! I love both!! My carbs are coming mostly from a small baked potato with either the fish or chicken meal.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who wants pizza?? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good luck... I go on my special eating restrictions that start rough but after about the 4th day it gets alittle easier

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Go for the trifecta and give up white flour for whole grains.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I just recently started diet modification. I have not completely cut out carbs/processed sugars but they are greatly reduced. I bought plenty of fish, chicken(white meat, skinless, boneless), fruit, veggies (what I have a real hard time with), and nuts such as almonds, cashews, and sunflower seeds.

3-4 snacks of veggies or nuts and 1 meal in a day. It may sound a bit strange but you should have seen the crap I was eating before.

I also cut out soda even though I drink diet. The artificial sweeteners still make our bodies react the same way as sugar would so unless you are diabetic, diet soda doesnt really do a whole lot for those of us who aren't. And I agree that artificial sweeteners are poison...but I believe that EVERYTHING in soda is poison. Its pretty much all chemical except for that tiny bit of citrus.

I have added a new excercise regime. One morning session and one evening session consisting of both cardio and weights.

Ive done this for only 2 weeks and have already dropped 12 lbs. Man, I need to shed more than I want to admit...seems to be working so we'll see how my body continues to react.

Oh, I also take some vitamins which really help with energy and how I feel. I take B complex, C, D, E, Fish oil, and fiber...yes, fiber...keep nice and regular to keep those pipes clean and moving! >>

Just be careful with the fat soluable vitamins such as D and E - you can actually overdose on those. Too much vitamin D is a known factor in those prone to kidney stones - my dad went through kidney stone surgery and I sure don't want that.

-
  • Options
    I do a low dose of E....good for prostate health. There is a history in my family.

As far as D goes, most people are very deficient in D unless they work outside and get lots of sun. Most people should have 2000-4000 IU. I know some people can have problems with D depending on their health.
  • Options

<< <i>I do a low dose of E....good for prostate health. There is a history in my family.

As far as D goes, most people are very deficient in D unless they work outside and get lots of sun. Most people should have 2000-4000 IU. I know some people can have problems with D depending on their health. >>

You've got a good handle on nutrition. I tell people that one of the best things they can do for themselves is read some good books on nutrition - a very wise thing to do.

-
  • Options
    Oh, if I had a good handle on nutrition then I wouldnt be on a diet and workout regime! hahaha

I have read alot over the past 5 or 6 months then chose what I thought was best for me. I just want to do what is right for myself.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    not an easy task, we are here for supprt!

• Options

<< <i>Oh, if I had a good handle on nutrition then I wouldnt be on a diet and workout regime! hahaha

I have read alot over the past 5 or 6 months then chose what I thought was best for me. I just want to do what is right for myself. >>

Well, having the knowledge to do something and doing it are two different things, but having the knowledge certainly has to help. But I always found it interesting that doctors have a higher rate of smoking than the average population, and of course nobody knows better than doctors how harmful it is to smoke.

Eating disorders/problems are the toughest in my opinion. I mean we don't have to smoke, drink alcohol, gamble, etc., to survive but we have to eat. It's tough sometimes going past the shopping isle and not placing that "little" container of Haagan-Daas or other goodies in the shopping cart - LOL. It takes discipline, and determination and resolve to stick to a proper diet...and it's of course easier said than done...I know because I definitely need to lose some weight myself.

-
  • Options
    nothing wrong with a little extra fiber image
    p.s.
    "I do a low dose of E....good for prostate health. There is a history in my family"

I'd suggest combining your vitamin E with Selenium; in our clinic we have several folks doing that as part of a long running medical trial. All the participants are at risk or have family history of the disease. It's called the SELECT study.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "The big test will be a 36 hour stay in Vegas in a few weeks. If I can avoid alcohol there, I'll have it made."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am a tea-totaler, but I go to bars and the folks are all nice to me.
    Nobody tries to make me drink alcohol, or even comments on my
    sodas. I get LOTS of invites for free chow, AND requests to be the
    designated driver.

LV is plenty of fun without alcohol.

GL on the dieting. I am not too good at that.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I would defintely take the Vegas trip off diet and enjoy yourself!

I have noticed that some people benefit from low carb diets, some from low fat diets, etc.... One of my friends eats a bagel and seems to put on weight as he eats. I can eat carbs all day no problem but I stay away from fats. Anyway, I would try different things to see what works best for you. I also would give yourself a reward once in a while. Back in 1994 I went on an extremely low fat diet for about 6 months and cut my weight by about 15%. Once a week I would go out for pizza, burger, whatever as my reward. The diet worked wonders and now, 14 years later, I have kept the weight off with lots of exercise and more moderate eating habits. Also, booze is a great way to keep the weight off.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Ok boys, here's an update. I'm about 3 weeks in and so far it's not been that hard. I don't want sugary stuff and I don't miss alcohol at all. I haven't weighed myself but I know I've lost a few pounds. And I feel better.....more energy, not as sluggish, etc. Another 6 weeks and this is a done deal.

Ron

PS. Vegas won't even be an issue. The only question there is whether to drink anything, and as I said I don't even miss it a little.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    You can always drink rum and diet coke if you're trying to avoid the extra carbs.

Edited to add: Congratulations on your success so far!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ron no beer? OMG

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Hey look, we found another thing stevek knows everything about! The waiting list must be huge for his services as a life coach.....

Nice job on the diet Ron. Not drinking in Vegas shouldn't be that hard because there's about a billion things there to keep you occupied. It's the times when you are home and have nothing to do that are tough, especially when a buddy calls and wants to meet up for drinks. I decided that if/when my wife gets pregnant I'm going to quit alcohol for 9 months to show my supports, which seems completely ridiculous to anyone who knows me (including my wife). I figure it'll be a good chance to recalibrate my body after years and years of liver abuse. Although, I will say I have a friend who is a functional alcoholic (steady stream of wine throughout the day/night), but eats right and works out 5 days a week and is in incredible shape. I don't know how he does it but he does. They should really do a study on him.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hey look, we found another thing stevek knows everything about!

Funny but I thought the same thing.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Vegas trip done. Still intact, no drinks out there though I ate a little more than desired. 29 days to go and I'm feelin' fine. image

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice job on the diet Ron. Not drinking in Vegas shouldn't be that hard because there's about a billion things there to keep you occupied. It's the times when you are home and have nothing to do that are tough, especially when a buddy calls and wants to meet up for drinks. I decided that if/when my wife gets pregnant I'm going to quit alcohol for 9 months to show my supports, which seems completely ridiculous to anyone who knows me (including my wife). I figure it'll be a good chance to recalibrate my body after years and years of liver abuse. Although, I will say I have a friend who is a functional alcoholic (steady stream of wine throughout the day/night), but eats right and works out 5 days a week and is in incredible shape. I don't know how he does it but he does. They should really do a study on him. >>

Lee - I apologize in advance, but ARE YOU CRAZY? Nine months WITH a designated driver and you're going to quit drinking? Madness I say, madness.

Oh - BTW - way to go Ron.
  • Options
    I just lost 50 pounds on the Krispy Kreme diet!

Scene from Bruce Almighty
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi