Home Stamps Forum
Options

Opinion on stamp I won from Siegel

I won the following stamp a used #466 graded 95J, lot 1180, in the current Siegel auction (part that ended yesterday).
The link is http://stampauctionnetwork.com/y/y953120.cfm I noticed that the lower left corner perf looks like it is torn or at least bent, and I have not seen the actual cert photo. I'm wondering if I will have to resubmit this to see if it will have the same grade.This is one of the most annoying types of damage.It's obvious someone shoved the stamp too hard into the holder. I see this all the time on ebay, but wouldn't expect it from a big auction firm, IF that's who caused this. Anyway I assume if the remaining corner perf is long enough with no creasing this will retain the same grade. Any opinions, Steve Crippe? Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Hanging perf chad???? Wouldn't it grade the same if you throw away the perf tip?
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Doesn't look like a perf chad to me, looks like an extra long corner perf that has been bent or torn to the side. Thing is if the stamp looks different than the cert photo than condition might be doubted(even if it might grade the same). Make sense?
  • Options
    And that's why I have everything encapsulated now(forgot to add that.)
  • Options
    Yeah..I don't know why anyone would want anything without a slab...it's guaranteed!! Anyway, I think your right, you will have to resumbit because just as you said the image will be different. Personally, I think it would look better with it pulled off anyway and would get the same grade if not higher(98). I get a few used stamps from time to time that are otherwise perfect except for those long bent/torn corner perfs. I gently pull the edge off before sending it to PSE. Here are a couple links to some stamps I pulled the corners off of...shhhhhh!

Stamp1

Stamp2

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't look like a perf chad to me, looks like an extra long corner perf that has been bent or torn to the side. Thing is if the stamp looks different than the cert photo than condition might be doubted(even if it might grade the same). Make sense? >>

Looks like the perf is bent over to me too. Good luck when you get it or try calling them before it ships to verify its not a creased perf.
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    I forgot that you stamp guys use "chad" to mean perf disks - It is certainly the corner perf that is haning on by a thread there, not a perf disc.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    FBS, I think you got lucky on those two stamps for such high grades. I hate to have to resend the stamp to PSE but I usually get stamps encapsulated.Iwill have to contact Siegel about this.
  • Options
    I haven't got "lucky" in a while....A little luck never hurts though. What ever happened to that block of 621's? Did you get the one back from PSE yet?
  • Options
    Well I just got around recently to breaking up the block. I usually wait til I have a few stamps(7-10) worth submitting for ecomomics sake(about 4 so far0. The bottom right (best) stamp seems to have what might be considerd a teeny tiny perf tip thin, but may actually be totally ignored( I'm the super stamp inspector) I'll let everyone know when I get them back.I decided to send the upper right stamp as well since it is comparable to most 98's I've seen. I have a 532 and a 533 used to send as well plus a couple more raw stamps I haven't inspected or received yet.
  • Options
    Well I received this stamp(466 95J USED). The photo on the cert has the corner perf in perfect shape. So it has been damaged since the cert was issued. I have contacted Siegel but will not be able to discuss it with them until I finish moving towards the end of next week. I told them that I should be able to resubmit this since I could not see the cert when I bid on it and it is not in the original state when certified. If I resubmit it and it goes down a grade, I will petition them for a refund. I paid nearly 4 X the current SMQ value for a 95. It would royally suck to get a 90J after paying $535.00! One of the problems is ; if I resubmit it I would want it encapsulated. They may not accept it back that way though, if it were to be downgraded. So I would have to get a paper cert first, then if it receives the same grade, I would have to submit it again for a conversion to a slab( that's the way I collect , no more paper certs) Anyway I can see this will most likely be a real hassle.
  • Options
    If you just send it in for a conversion from paper cert to encapsulation, won't PSE have to verify the grade before they encapsulate because they guarantee the condition once encapsulated? Maybe just send it in for the conversion and see what happens. Definitetly keep Siegel informed though.

Matt
  • Options
    That's true hadn't thought of that except it migh tbe encapsuated at a lower grade.
  • Options
    In that case I'd insist on returning it to Siegel. I'd call Siegel first and see if they would agree to let you do that.

Matt
  • Options
    Well they are blowing me off, been waiting for 2 weeks for a response. Originally received a courteous email saying they would back with me etc. Now no response.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Not good Siegel.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Well have since gotten a reply. Sent back to them so they can decide to resubmit or cancel sale.

GET YOUR GRADED STAMPS ENCAPSULATED PEOPLE!
  • Options

<< <i>I won the following stamp a used #466 graded 95J, lot 1180, in the current Siegel auction (part that ended yesterday).
    The link is http://stampauctionnetwork.com/y/y953120.cfm I noticed that the lower left corner perf looks like it is torn or at least bent, and I have not seen the actual cert photo. I'm wondering if I will have to resubmit this to see if it will have the same grade.This is one of the most annoying types of damage.It's obvious someone shoved the stamp too hard into the holder. I see this all the time on ebay, but wouldn't expect it from a big auction firm, IF that's who caused this. Anyway I assume if the remaining corner perf is long enough with no creasing this will retain the same grade. Any opinions, Steve Crippe? Anyone? >>

Link
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Really an excellent stamp even ifit did not warrant a 98: face free cancel and a contemporary year dateto boot.
  • Options
    Absolute waste of time sending it back to them, They say it's the perf from the next stamp etc . so I told them to just send it back to me and I'll resubmit ti myself. If the grade goes down, I'm going to be P.O'd. (Probably won't go down but I'm concerned when I have to resubmit something because of appearance)
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up on what it's like to deal with Siegel. Sounds like they're giving you really poor customer service. If they were smart they would have gone out of their way to make this right.

• Options
    Yeah I'm pretty unimpressed. They offered to remove the perf for me, gee I think I could do that myself without spending on the insurance and shipping to send it back to them, that wasn't the concern. Not really very polite either for speaking with a customer either. Probably be the last timeI bid in their auctions(at the least on UNencapsulated stuff)