Home Stamps Forum
Options

Anybody Check Out The Encased Postage In Siegel's Auction?

Link

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    Can't get link to work.
    Zac
  • Options
    I just clicked on it and it came right up.
  • Options
    Still no luck, and no idea why. Guess I could just go to SAN huh?
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Wow.....what a collection.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    OK tried again now it works (for me anyway)
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to own one of these pieces. The crossover between numismatics and philately -- during the Civil War, no less -- is fascinating.

Practical questions...

How does one store and display these items? No one seems to slab them. It would be nice to be view and store them in a clear, stackable container.

What does "original silvering on reverse" refer to? I see that some of the Ayer's Pills lots on the first page appear bright and attractive, but what does "silvering" really mean -- does it refer to the production of the cases? Or to a lack of what looks like oxidation?

How are grades like EF and VF determined? Wear on the reverse? Centering of the stamp in the case? Mica condition?
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    The best way I know is to put the pieces in a plastic flip and affix to a card backing and put in a cardboard box. Nobody slabs them and expertising can be a problem. The coin guys are reasonably good at determining the obvious pried-open pieces and replaced mica but are horrible with spotting stamps that don't originate in the them.

Check Mayer sale on Heritage archive for a clean group - some of the pieces in collection being sold are ex Mayer (and some are ex Frajola even).

The silvering was applied to the brass cases when manufactured. When complete it is really neat. When it deteriorates and looks patchy - not oxidation really - it is real crappy looking. I had a few pieces from the sale out on viewing last week - the pictures are not always accurate represenations of the actual appearance on those silvered pieces.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Richard, I remember you talking about the sale before and looking at the auction. Just some very interesting history with these.