Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Registry Sets & Satin Finish Coins

Somone please pull this knife out of my back....
Since the Roosevelt FB Basic circulation strike Set did not change back to a Roosevelt FB basic circulation strike set, meaning it still has the STUPID SATIN FINISH COINS in it. I must now buy the STUPID SATIN FINISH COINS so I can list my CIRCULATION STRIKE COINS in A VARIETY SET.
I wonder If any dealer has decided to take advantage of this problem, and put together a set of 69FB's in a package deal, at a savings to the buyer of course. image
Well I need to save a few bucks you know. For I'm off to Wal-Mart to buy some pins. Then to Hastings to buy a book on black magic.
I need the book to learn about making a Voo Doo Doll. Yeah you got it, thats where the pins come in. Satin Finish my #%$&*@...
Dan

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan60,

Can you tell us how you really feel....? image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Somone please pull this knife out of my back....
    Since the Roosevelt FB Basic circulation strike Set did not change back to a Roosevelt FB basic circulation strike set, meaning it still has the STUPID SATIN FINISH COINS in it. I must now buy the STUPID SATIN FINISH COINS so I can list my CIRCULATION STRIKE COINS in A VARIETY SET.
    I wonder If any dealer has decided to take advantage of this problem, and put together a set of 69FB's in a package deal, at a savings to the buyer of course. image
    Well I need to save a few bucks you know. For I'm off to Wal-Mart to buy some pins. Then to Hastings to buy a book on black magic.
    I need the book to learn about making a Voo Doo Doll. Yeah you got it, thats where the pins come in. Satin Finish my #%$&*@... >>

Dan,

Let me see if I understand this? You are one of the many collectors of a modern set on the "circulation strike" side of the Registry that would like a set in the Registry to be only "circulation strikes"(without satin finish coinage). Sounds reasonable to me, what I don't understand is that PCGS does this for the Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1999-2008) but NOT for any other series. Guess someone in the "Statehood" Quarters knows someone high in the "food chain"image
  • Options
    I totally agree with Dan60, they need to remove all SF from the original basic 1965-Date w/FB set, and make another set with both, of which they already have done. So, all PCGS has to do is the above statement and Dan will be thrilled...along with Dimeman and actually myself too.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    And here is my take, guys. PCGS will EVENTUALLY separate the satin finish mint set coins from the circulation strike regular roll coins. Remember, we are talking ONLY 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 at this point. Coin collecting is about history and once the separation between the modern satin finish mint set coins and the regular circulation coins with separate characteristics gets inbedded in the hobby, PCGS will have the Set Registries just the way collectos want them. In the meantime, just be patient. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>And here is my take, guys. PCGS will EVENTUALLY separate the satin finish mint set coins from the circulation strike regular roll coins. Remember, we are talking ONLY 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 at this point. Coin collecting is about history and once the separation between the modern satin finish mint set coins and the regular circulation coins with separate characteristics gets inbedded in the hobby, PCGS will have the Set Registries just the way collectos want them. In the meantime, just be patient. Steveimage >>

Steve,

"In the meantime, just be patient." The sad part is that the Collectors have been asking from "day one" for the seperation between Satin Finish vs Business Strike. Instead of PCGS changing this down the road, why didn't they just do it in the beginning! Like I mention earlier, why do they let the "Statehood Quarters" have a circulation strike set without any satin finish coins but not the other denominations?image

Fair is Fair! Treat all of the series the same! Just my two cents worthimage
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Somone please pull this knife out of my back....
    I need the book to learn about making a Voo Doo Doll. Yeah you got it, thats where the pins come in. Satin Finish my #%$&*@... >>

Send emails to BJ, She can fix it.
    Give here the other sets as examples.
    She is VERY fast at getting modifications done.

Make your case & email it on over....Be nice.
    It will go far.

BJ Searls - PCGS Registry
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan50,

I know how you feel but only in reverse. I was collecting Statehood Quarters. Since I like to make my own coins I always pulled them from Mint Sets. Then in 2005 Satin Finish coins came along and since you could put either/or in the Statehood Quarter Set I continued pulling quarters from Mint Sets and of course they were higher grade than the circulation strike counter-parts and since I only wanted one example P & D coins I never bothered getting the circulation strikes from 2005 on. Fast forward to late 2007,,,,,,Life was good,,,,,,, only one more year and my Statehood Quarters will be complete. THEN,,,,,,,out of nowhere I was blindsided,,,,,suddenly I had to buy 40 more coins if I wanted to have a complete registry set that was all together in one listing. I e-mailed BJ and made my case but alas, to no avail. BJ was very nice and it wasn't she who couldn't do as I wanted it was "The POWERS THAT BE" at PCGS that would not grant my request and keep a Statehood Quarters Set as it was,,,,, as it had been all along.

That is/was a set,,,,one set from 1999 - 2007 & 2008 that I could list all my coins in and have a complete set in one listing. I can't do that now and I didn't want to spend any more money on buying the circulation strike quarters as the whole series is pretty much a money loser so I just quit! I deleted my Statehood Quarter Set and while I will complete it in my own way I no longer have a registry set of Statehood Quarters.

For the record if anyone reads who cares,,,,, I want the original set back. 1999-2004 Circulation Strikes of course and 2005 - 2008 either / or but not both required.

As has been said before WHY are some sets treated one way and others another? Jefferson Nickels for example. They just added a Major Varieties Set that requires SF & BS coins. However they left the original sets they way they were. 2005-2008 can have either / or SF or BS. That is what I would still like for Statehood Quarters.

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Grandam said! Only Dimes!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Dan50,

I know how you feel but only in reverse. I was collecting Statehood Quarters. Since I like to make my own coins I always pulled them from Mint Sets. Then in 2005 Satin Finish coins came along and since you could put either/or in the Statehood Quarter Set I continued pulling quarters from Mint Sets and of course they were higher grade than the circulation strike counter-parts and since I only wanted one example P & D coins I never bothered getting the circulation strikes from 2005 on. Fast forward to late 2007,,,,,,Life was good,,,,,,, only one more year and my Statehood Quarters will be complete. THEN,,,,,,,out of nowhere I was blindsided,,,,,suddenly I had to buy 40 more coins if I wanted to have a complete registry set that was all together in one listing. I e-mailed BJ and made my case but alas, to no avail. BJ was very nice and it wasn't she who couldn't do as I wanted it was "The POWERS THAT BE" at PCGS that would not grant my request and keep a Statehood Quarters Set as it was,,,,, as it had been all along.

That is/was a set,,,,one set from 1999 - 2007 & 2008 that I could list all my coins in and have a complete set in one listing. I can't do that now and I didn't want to spend any more money on buying the circulation strike quarters as the whole series is pretty much a money loser so I just quit! I deleted my Statehood Quarter Set and while I will complete it in my own way I no longer have a registry set of Statehood Quarters.

For the record if anyone reads this who cares,,,,, I want the original set back. 1999-2004 Circulation Strikes of course and 2005 - 2008 either / or but not both required.

As has been said before WHY are some sets treated one way and others another? Jefferson Nickels for example. They just added a Major Varieties Set that requires SF & BS coins. However they left the original sets they way they were. 2005-2008 can have either / or SF or BS. That is what I would still like for Statehood Quarters.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

GrandAm,

I don’t necessarily like to point fingers but what is the problem and who created it? The problem started from my viewpoint in 2005 when PCGS established the “either / or” policy concerning the placement of the “satin finish” and “business strike” coins.

Personally for my son and myself, we would like to see just the “business strike” coins only in the Basic Set of the Registry but I understand your viewpoint too. I had an idea back in 2005 that some Collectors would be upset later on which ever way PCGS decided to go.

Can the problem be fixed? Yes, where PCGS was a major contributor in creating the problem by starting the “either / or” policy, they can fix it by having two Basic Sets for each denomination of coins. The first Basic Set for “business strike” coins only and the second set for the “either / or” policy they started back in 2005. This way the Collector can assemble their collection the way they want to and still utilize the Registry. I think that I heard it some where that the Registry was for the Collectors and there is merit in assembling a collection both ways.

If PCGS would use the two “Basic Set” idea would this be a solution? The Collector would have a choice on how they grouped their collection and the collections could be compared to other equally grouped sets, sort of comparing “apples to apples” and not “apples to oranges”.

Just a thought image
  • Options

<< <i>The problem started from my viewpoint in 2005 when PCGS established the “either / or” policy concerning the placement of the “satin finish” and “business strike” coins. >>

I never thought that this was fair. That someone could at anytime just add this or that to their sets. There should be only 1 coin per designated slot per set.

As far as designations...well thats just a different topic all together.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I have stated my opinion till I'm blue in the face, sent BJ a letter ( thanks Tim ), I have all but gave up that we will ever get a true BS set again. Ether - Or was not the way to go ( In my OPINION ). I will keep on going ====for now adding BS coin's to my set with coin's that have a pop of 58 in 67 and none higher only to see set's with dime a dozen 69's getting rated higher then mine. At the least they need to change the value of the SF coin's to half of the BS coin's that would give some credit back to the BS coin.

Proud Member of PHFOBSC - Proper Home for Orfan Bussiness Strike Coins.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure glad I did not get into dimes bad enouph having this problem with quarters, and half dollars, and dollars the Sacs and the Prez.
  • Options

<< <i>GrandAm, >>

<< <i> I don’t necessarily like to point fingers but what is the problem and who created it? >>

The problem is that from 2005-2006-2007 the set was one way. Either / OR,,,, so I chose to use Satin Finish Coins. That was the rule,,,, I didn't make it but I was playing by it. THE PROBLEM is that 3 yrs later all of a sudden I have to buy (10) 2005 BS coins, (10) 2006 BS coins, (10) 2007 BS coins & now (10) 2008 BS coins. (BS may or may not mean BUSINESS STRIKE) That is 40 coins I would have to buy to get my set back to where it was,,,,,,100% complete with a P & D Mint coin from ea State. Since the Staehood Quarters haven't exactly been a money maker I don't want to buy (40) more LOSER Coins. Can I afford to? Yes, that ain't the problem I just don't want to. image

<< <i>If PCGS would use the two “Basic Set” idea would this be a solution? >>

YES!!!! in fact I lobbied hard for this after the changes. In fact here is the decision from "The Powers That Be" at PCGS. This was from Jan, 24, 2008

Hi Gary,

The coin experts on the Registry committee have decided not to add a basic set which will allow either a circulation strike or satin finish coin. There will be no other basic set additions to the ones that are online now. I’m sorry the decision was not in your favor.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager

I would like to state "For the Record" that BJ is not at fault over this. She tried hard to get done what I asked for but in the end it was not her decision. Furthermore BJ has ALWAYS been VERY HELPFUL whenever I have asked her to check something out,,,,,, even if I didn't deserve it!!! image

I hate incomplete sets and don't plan to keep a set registered unless I intend to complete it. I'm not going to buy 40 BS Statehood Quarters that I don't want so I chose to delete my set. That was my decision and I doubt if it really matters to anyone including myself! I have no problem with anyone having a complete BS only set. I just don't feel that the rules should have been changed in such a dramatic way 3 years later.

WHY aren't all sets treated the same????? I'm not going to check all the demonations because at this point I don't care anymore BUT,,,, (and there always is a but),,,, I know that Jefferson Nickels and SAC Dollars are STILL EITHER / OR as I have both of these sets so WHY are ONLY STATEHOOD QUARTERS treated differently???

JMHO, GrandAm image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GrandAm, >>

<< <i> I don’t necessarily like to point fingers but what is the problem and who created it? >>

The problem is that from 2005-2006-2007 the set was one way. Either / OR,,,, so I chose to use Satin Finish Coins. That was the rule,,,, I didn't make it but I was playing by it. THE PROBLEM is that 3 yrs later all of a sudden I have to buy (10) 2005 BS coins, (10) 2006 BS coins, (10) 2007 BS coins & now (10) 2008 BS coins. (BS may or may not mean BUSINESS STRIKE) That is 40 coins I would have to buy to get my set back to where it was,,,,,,100% complete with a P & D Mint coin from ea State. Since the Staehood Quarters haven't exactly been a money maker I don't want to buy (40) more LOSER Coins. Can I afford to? Yes, that ain't the problem I just don't want to. image

<< <i>If PCGS would use the two “Basic Set” idea would this be a solution? >>

YES!!!! in fact I lobbied hard for this after the changes. In fact here is the decision from "The Powers That Be" at PCGS. This was from Jan, 24, 2008

Hi Gary,

The coin experts on the Registry committee have decided not to add a basic set which will allow either a circulation strike or satin finish coin. There will be no other basic set additions to the ones that are online now. I’m sorry the decision was not in your favor.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager

I would like to state "For the Record" that BJ is not at fault over this. She tried hard to get done what I asked for but in the end it was not her decision. Furthermore BJ has ALWAYS been VERY HELPFUL whenever I have asked her to check something out,,,,,, even if I didn't deserve it!!! image

I hate incomplete sets and don't plan to keep a set registered unless I intend to complete it. I'm not going to buy 40 BS Statehood Quarters that I don't want so I chose to delete my set. That was my decision and I doubt if it really matters to anyone including myself! I have no problem with anyone having a complete BS only set. I just don't feel that the rules should have been changed in such a dramatic way 3 years later.

WHY aren't all sets treated the same????? I'm not going to check all the demonations because at this point I don't care anymore BUT,,,, (and there always is a but),,,, I know that Jefferson Nickels and SAC Dollars are STILL EITHER / OR as I have both of these sets so WHY are ONLY STATEHOOD QUARTERS treated differently???

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Good question. Still looking for a few more state quarters to replace the satin coins, but my Jefferson sets (which have all been revamped) can have either.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Gary,

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager >>

GrandAm,

First, thanks for sharing the above email. It shines a “light” on the issue!

Second, I could not agree more with your assessment of BJ. When ever I have dealt with her before, she has always been polite and her assistance overwhelming.

I have to admit that I find it funny how the “powers to be” treat each series different in the Registry without any “logic or consistence” in the thought process. The sad part is that David Hall has stated at more then one of PCGS’ “Luncheons” that the Registry is there for the Collectors and the Collectors should collect the way they want to.

PCGS has made the Registry a place for Collectors to compete with others; to bad it doesn’t have the sense of “fair play” or an “even playing field”. One set of rules for one series and a second set of rules for another.

Has anyone found out who is on this “Registry Committee of Coin Experts”?image
  • Options
    When this issue first came about in Mid-January it was stated on this Forum by someone "in the know" (I'll let him chime in if he wants to) that current registry sets were supposed to remain as they were,,, meaning either / or for coins from 2005 - Date. New sets WERE supposed to be created that were for Circulation Strike Coins only. I don't see how anyone could have been upset if this happened but for whatever reason it did not happen??? image

Who are "The Experts"????

I have no idea?

PCGS has about a BILLION different Sets now,,,,, I don't see what the BIG DEAL would be to bring back "The Original Statehood Quarter Set" A set with Either /OR for coins from 2005 - 2008.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Dan
  • Options
    Here is my opinion towards the collectors.

If you collect a certain coin (For me its the Roosies) then why is it that some of you collectors have been collecting just the BS and not the SF, or the SF and not the BS, when you KNOW THESE ARE DIFFERENT COINS, and that PCGS may or may not be adding them to new sets. No one is in the dark here fellas, as you knew back in 2005 that there was/is a difference in the new mint sets and that you would have to now search (Like I did) for BS coins in bags & rolls.

I guess I am just trying to understand why you just wouldn't want both.

I also do understand the IMPORTANCE of having a BUSINESS STRIKE ONLY set that includes just these coins and no SF coins. Like Dan60 and GrandAm, and a few others I too have been an activice in including just the BS coins to the sets only. This is the reason why I included just BS coins only to my set. It cost me 13 points in the GPA to include just BS vs. SF. I didn't care, because to me it was about the purity of BS coins in my set.

Like I said above, I don't understand why you wouldn't collect both to begin with?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    You look around on eBay for the SF Roosies for 06 P-D/07 P-D in 69FB, and the prices are all over the place.
    Some are priced right, for the knowing collector I guess.
    And some are trolling with HIGH PRICES, I guess thats for the guy who just fell off the turnip truck...
    Dan
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    As a collector of what I consider a COMPLETE Lincoln cent collection of circulation strike and proof strike Lincoln cents, I determined a couple of years ago that I needed to collect BOTH the BS and the SF versions of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, etc and 2005D, 2006D, 2007D, 2008D, etc for my collection. Unless the mint changes its ways of making the BS and SF coins, that's is the way it will be into the future. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Dan
  • Options
    I hate to admit it, but I broke down and bought a Satin Finish coin last night.
    A 2007-D MS69FB, one down and three to go.... imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to admit it, but I broke down and bought a Satin Finish coin last night.
    A 2007-D MS69FB, one down and three to go.... imageimageimageimageimageimage >>

Even the article in the new issue of PCGS's monthly magizine stated that collectors collect both ways so why doesn't PCGS have "two" basic sets in the Registry, one for "regular Strikes" and the other for "satin finish" coins. Wouldn't this be a better "either / or" policy for all concerned? image
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    You dimeys need to wait your turn. The Sacs are next! They did the Presidents (???) so by all rights it's Sacs next! image
  • Options
    This registry stuff is confusing me.
    I guess I will see If there is a chapter in my favorite coin book on this matter.
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>This registry stuff is confusing me.
    I guess I will see If there is a chapter in my favorite coin book on this matter.
    image >>

Jim...is there a chapter in that book that tells what years SMS coins were issued?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This registry stuff is confusing me.
    image >>

Jim...is there a chapter in that book that tells what years SMS coins were issued? >>

Let's be nice! image

EDITED TO ADD: Maybe the picture above is the all "NEW" reference book that PCGS gets their list of "varieties" from?image
  • Options
    No, but Susan Headley has a definition of SMS.....

"SMS Coin Defined - What is an SMS Coin?"
    From Susan Headley,
    Your Guide to Coins.
    Stay up to date!
    Definition: An SMS coin is a coin that was in a U.S. Mint Set issued during the years 1965, 1966, and 1967. The U.S. Mint didn't strike Proof coins during these three years, so they issued Special Mint Sets (SMS sets) instead. SMS sets contain higher than normal quality coins which can be told apart from regular Uncirculated coins of the same year. SMS set coins are often sold individually, but they are not particularly rare, despite the fancy name. Mintages of the SMS coins are as follows:

1965 SMS coins - 2,360,000
    1966 SMS coins - 2,261,583
    1967 SMS coins - 1,863,344

Even eBay has a SMS guide.

eBay SMS coin Guide
  • Options

<< <i>No, but Susan Headley has a definition of SMS.....

"SMS Coin Defined - What is an SMS Coin?"
    From Susan Headley,
    Your Guide to Coins.
    Stay up to date!
    Definition: An SMS coin is a coin that was in a U.S. Mint Set issued during the years 1965, 1966, and 1967. The U.S. Mint didn't strike Proof coins during these three years, so they issued Special Mint Sets (SMS sets) instead. SMS sets contain higher than normal quality coins which can be told apart from regular Uncirculated coins of the same year. SMS set coins are often sold individually, but they are not particularly rare, despite the fancy name. Mintages of the SMS coins are as follows:

1965 SMS coins - 2,360,000
    1966 SMS coins - 2,261,583
    1967 SMS coins - 1,863,344

Even eBay has a SMS guide.

eBay SMS coin Guide >>

Jim,

Does the 1964 SMS (Specimens) have a mintage in the book, or are they even mentioned?image
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    When are people just going to collect coins that they WANT to collect???? Dan50, you my friend are a VICTIM of the good ol' registry hype that has been taking hundreds of prisoners for the past few years (and I used to be one of them myself!). You didn't (and still don't) give a rats a$$ about satin finish dimes...but here you go buying them JUST to "keep up with the Jones's"...which in the end will only put more money in PCGS's pocket.

I hope you don't take this post personally...but this is what's happening to way too so many in the hobby. I sold off every single PCGS slabbed coin I owned (over 400 at one time) and the only one I now own is a bust half dollar that grandfather gave me a month before he passed away (and the 8 SAE's that I am selling on the BST right now). After that, all I will own is a bunch of albums with raw coins that I am putting into Dansco's or Airtites! I AM DONE WITH THE REGISTRY GAME!

COLLECT ONLY WHAT YOU WANT TO COLLECT...AND GET OVER THE FACT THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE AS MANY POINTS AS THE GUY ABOVE YOU WHO LIKES TO COLLECT THE BS AND SF COINS. IT'S AMAZING HOW COLLECTORS OF THIS DAY AND AGE SHAPE WHAT IS IN THEIR COLLECTION BY WHATEVER PCGS DECIDES TO REQUIRE IN A GIVEN REGISTRY SET!

• Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Ellewood, very good point.

Dan50, I am sure you will enjoy the coin even if it is SF, though I don't think you should buy it if you only want it for the registry.

Honestly, this is exactly why I went to the darkside. Many world collectors are more interested in the coins than the holder or grade on the holder and don't give a hoot about PCGS or their registry.
    I am sure that there are lots of US collectors who are the same but they tend to fall under the spell of the registry easier. Also, collecting registry coins is fine and makes you no better or worse than others, but is just a different way to collect coins. Just my opinion.