Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1914 Germany Saxony 5 Marks

Picked this one up today at the coin shop. It appears to POSSIBLY be uncirculated but I do see a rim ding or two. I'll let you guys give me a grade and approximate value (what you think it is worth, I know what Krause says). I'll then tell ya what I paid for it image.
Todd

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I cannot tell how well the obverse is. Can you take another pic at a different angle? -Dan
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It's at least AU details, but I can't tell if it's been cleaned or not...
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭

<< <i>It's at least AU details, but I can't tell if it's been cleaned or not... >>

I agree with coinpictures, it looks like a pretty nice AU, but it looks to have an old cleaning to me image but it is in much better shape than the one I have, mine is VF and highly polished image

Having said that I would gladly add it to my date set anywaym nice pick up!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    When I looked at the coin I saw it was in the half price bin. I asked Richard (the owner) if he realized it was in the bin. He told me he did and that I could have it at a great price. I wish I could get better pictures of the dang thing. Imma have to make a stand or something to get better pics. Ok, so let's say it is cleaned. Should I sell it, keep it, or try to get it holdered... Maybe it isn't cleaned and it's just my crappy pics!! (Hey I can dream can't I!) I do like the coin but again the right person may want it more than me... I actually spent WAY more than I had anticipated at the shop today. Sunday we are going to a show and I wanted to save for it. Oh well.... So again, any thoughts on what to do with it? (Would any company holder this coin?)
    Todd
  • Options
    Sorry for jumping in (I don't have an opinion on the coin being discussed other than that I really find the design appealing). My question is more general: as someone who is brand new (as in has literally only been reading about them in catalogs for a few days), I'm wondering whether a show like Baltimore would have (m)any foreign coin dealers, especially German States and early 20th century; I'm fluent in German and have always been interested in German culture so this sounded like a perfect focus for my world coin collecting. I've been to the last two Balmer shows, but I didn't even notice any world coin dealers. But I may have been so focused on U.S. coin dealers that I tuned everything else (currency, tokens, world,etc.) out. Second question: do most brick and mortar stores sell both US and World coins? Or is it more common for world coin dealers to specialize only in world stuff (other than buying/selling junk silver/bullion? Thanks for helping to educate a newcomer
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant to say that I am brand new to collecting world coins. have collected US for about two years.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    For some reason, a lot of the larger silver German states coins have been cleaned or messed with. This one has a low mintage, but it has been wiped and has hairlines on the obverse (not counting the obvious receding hairline).

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    It looks cleaned to me, but if you like the coin, why worry about ? It's a great piece!
    I would keep it.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I've also seen quite a lot of British coins for sale from Germany which have been cleaned.

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    The first picture makes it look cleaned because of the toning around the outside and nothing in the middle. The second picture says cleaned because of the fine scratches on the fields. All and all--still a nice coin that I would add to my collection anyday.image
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Any thoughts on a reasonable price for this coin?
    Todd