Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What happens to un-redeemed redemption cards?

Ever wonder?

I keep my eyes peeled hoping to stumble across one of the #’d to three 2005 Topps Rookie Cup
Relic cards of my favorite player, and I’ve never seen one. All three were redemptions… which expired several months ago.
I’d be willing to bet there are several such relic redemption cards there were never redeemed.

If you happen to buy a box of 3-year-old product today and get a redemption card in it, would you really attempt to redeem
it... even though it’s long expired???

Think there’s any way of contacting someone at Topps and finding out if any of these were NOT redeemed,
and somehow now available for purchase? Odds are, they’re just sitting in a vault/closet/storage bin just collecting dust…

Anybody ever tried to contact Topps/Upper Deck about such unredeemed redemption cards????

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Comments

• Options
    I have no facts, but I assume they wouldnt honor expired ones and the unredeemed ones will be sold thru The Vault in the future.

* Reminds me, I still need to send you the Sabo cards.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    They claim that they destroy all unredeemed cards after the redemption expires
  • Options
    I wonder if I can still get my official baseball ring made of durable metal.

Hey... it's one size fits all!

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    I have received unredeemed redemptions as replacement cards when other redemptions are unavailable.

As for expired redemptions, Donruss/Playoff is actually very good about fulfilling or replacing the card anyway. I think about 75% of the expired redemptions I've sent in have yielded something.

In fact, I ripped some older Playoff product and pulled an expired redemption for a Marty Booker autograph. They sent me a Rex Grossman auto/jersey for it. Both cards are in Beckett at $40, but neither could yield $4 on the open market.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I pulled a 1/1 autograph of michael finley from a box of ud basketball once. The redemption expired like 2 years earlier. I sent it in anyway. I didn't get the 1/1, but I did get a buy back auto of Finley #/20 or something and a jersey card of someone else. I thought it was cool I got anything. There is always hope. I sent a note with it saying it was the first 1/1 I had ever pulled and was disappointed it was a redemption. Always worth a shot.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I just sent an email to the Topps Vault asking for info/help. I bet'cha I don't hear back from them.

Redemption cards suck. I'd rather the card be stuck in a pack somewhere sitting on some retailers shelf,
    that way I KNOW someone will eventually end up with the card, and maybe JUST MAYBE it will become
    available for sale one day.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking through my cards wanting to get rid of some of them the late 80's, 90's and later, and found a Redemption card. The thing that sucks about it is that it was for a 2002 Legenary Dynasties Auto of Derek Jeter.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    If the company is still in business they destroy them...

if they go out of business , like Fleer, they sell them to a thief out the back door (see FAKE PUJOLS THREAD)
  • Options
    I doubt any of them are destroyed, they are more than likely used in later cards or to fulfill later redemptions that they cannot fulfill.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I opened a case of 2004 Finest Baseball last year and pulled (2) Lastings Millede Auto Rookie Redemptions. Both had expired a month or so prior to opening the case, but sent them in anyway with a "sad/pitiful" hand-written letter. The cards arrived within 2 weeks...image...Thanks Topps!!

This one, on the other hand.....

• Options

<< <i>I doubt any of them are destroyed, they are more than likely used in later cards or to fulfill later redemptions that they cannot fulfill. >>

Do not doubt the fandango, he has the power of the Pujols.

That said, I would imagine that any card worth putting in a redemption for has cost the card manufacturer enough money to not destroy it because nobody redeemed it. In fact, a couple months ago, I sent in a redemption from 2003 Absolute Memorabilia Football that expired years ago. They sent me the card I requested!
  • Options
    Great question...better answers
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>I opened a case of 2004 Finest Baseball last year and pulled (2) Lastings Millede Auto Rookie Redemptions. Both had expired a month or so prior to opening the case, but sent them in anyway with a "sad/pitiful" hand-written letter. The cards arrived within 2 weeks...image...Thanks Topps!!

This one, on the other hand.....

image >>

Ouch! image
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I sent in a 3 year old expired redemption card from topps chrome football and received a note back that it was past the deadline and I was SOL. Didn't hurt to try though, at least there are a few success stories here.
  • Options
    With Topps, after a year, the cards for any redemption that are not redeemed are destroyed. This is a fact stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps.

I can't say for sure with Upper Deck, but I have seen some expired redemption cards sent as replacements for other expired redemptions. I guess that makes sense to them, but anyway..
  • Options

<< <i>With Topps, after a year, the cards for any redemption that are not redeemed are destroyed. This is a fact stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps.

I can't say for sure with Upper Deck, but I have seen some expired redemption cards sent as replacements for other expired redemptions. I guess that makes sense to them, but anyway.. >>

I have personally received unredeemed autographed cards (from products 2-4 years old) from Topps on multiple occasions as replacement cards for cards I sent in. This has happened as recently as a few months ago, when I had a redemption in from a 2006 product and received a 2003 Topps autograph. Perhaps the "fact" stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps, was misunderstood. Or maybe he just misremembered. One thing IS a fact, and that is based on my experience, Topps is not destroying all cards that aren't redeemed after a year. Perhaps some. Not all.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With Topps, after a year, the cards for any redemption that are not redeemed are destroyed. This is a fact stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps.

I can't say for sure with Upper Deck, but I have seen some expired redemption cards sent as replacements for other expired redemptions. I guess that makes sense to them, but anyway.. >>

I have personally received unredeemed autographed cards (from products 2-4 years old) from Topps on multiple occasions as replacement cards for cards I sent in. This has happened as recently as a few months ago, when I had a redemption in from a 2006 product and received a 2003 Topps autograph. Perhaps the "fact" stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps, was misunderstood. Or maybe he just misremembered. One thing IS a fact, and that is based on my experience, Topps is not destroying all cards that aren't redeemed after a year. Perhaps some. Not all. >>

Perhaps your an idiot, and perhaps you need to read the November 2007 issue of Beckett Baseball Monthly, and see what Clay stated in an interview Beckett done with him. I did not misunderstand anything, it's in print, just like I repeated it.

You always have to get a punch in, even when there is no need for such, so I will not hold back anymore, either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have personally received unredeemed autographed cards (from products 2-4 years old) from Topps on multiple occasions as replacement cards for cards I sent in. This has happened as recently as a few months ago, when I had a redemption in from a 2006 product and received a 2003 Topps autograph. Perhaps the "fact" stated by Clay Luraschi, the spokesman for Topps, was misunderstood. Or maybe he just misremembered. One thing IS a fact, and that is based on my experience, Topps is not destroying all cards that aren't redeemed after a year. Perhaps some. Not all. >>

Perhaps your an idiot, and perhaps you need to read the November 2007 issue of Beckett Baseball Monthly, and see what Clay stated in an interview Beckett done with him. I did not misunderstand anything, it's in print, just like I repeated it.

You always have to get a punch in, even when there is no need for such, so I will not hold back anymore, either. >>

"Your" probably right. I don't read Beckett's swill, so I'm definitely an idiot. image

Again, that said, my personal experience is the exact opposite of what you say was provided as fact by a marketing person at a baseball card company. They must have reprinted some 2003 Topps autos to ship me for my 2006 redemptions, then. It all makes so much sense now.

Serously, your supposed "facts" are not the same as reality. You're defense is akin to swearing on a bible the Paris Hilton is a man because you read it on the internet. Just because something is said in an interview does NOT make it fact.

And stan, please don't stoop to the infantile level of namecalling you appear to be falling to. It's unbecoming...even for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You always have to get a punch in, even when there is no need for such, so I will not hold back anymore, either. >>

"Your" probably right. I don't read Beckett's swill, so I'm definitely an idiot. image

Again, that said, my personal experience is the exact opposite of what you say was provided as fact by a marketing person at a baseball card company. They must have reprinted some 2003 Topps autos to ship me for my 2006 redemptions, then. It all makes so much sense now.

Serously, your supposed "facts" are not the same as reality. You're defense is akin to swearing on a bible the Paris Hilton is a man because you read it on the internet. Just because something is said in an interview does NOT make it fact.

And stan, please don't stoop to the infantile level of namecalling you appear to be falling to. It's unbecoming...even for you. >>

You just can't resist from trying to stir the pot with me all the time, so no, I will not back off anymore. I will give you all the same you dish at me. I have ask you in the past to leave me be, and stop picking at my posts, and we would have no problem, but you will not stop. Don't stir it up, and we will never even have to speak. It's that simple.

I cannot, and will not, believe your word. Also, you don't work for Topps. I will gladly believe a person from Topps, who knows how things operate.

Topps does keep replacement stock(not expired redemption cards), and they have been known to be sent out to replace expired redemptions in the past. They might still do that, but as far as expired redemption cards, they are destroyed 1 year after, according to the guy at Topps. He should know better that you or I.

• Options
    I will say that most of the time in an interview like that they will say one thing and do another. They will say what they think people want to hear, then do what is best for thir company.
  • Options

<< <i>You just can't resist from trying to stir the pot with me all the time, so no, I will not back off anymore. I will give you all the same you dish at me. I have ask you in the past to leave me be, and stop picking at my posts, and we would have no problem, but you will not stop. Don't stir it up, and we will never even have to speak. It's that simple.

I cannot, and will not, believe your word. Also, you don't work for Topps. I will gladly believe a person from Topps, who knows how things operate.

Topps does keep replacement stock(not expired redemption cards), and they have been known to be sent out to replace expired redemptions in the past. They might still do that, but as far as expired redemption cards, they are destroyed 1 year after, according to the guy at Topps. He should know better that you or I. >>

What you are failing to realize is that a few people stated their opinions and experiences and you replied with what you believe to be facts. I simply shared my personal experiences which are the polar opposite of your facts. I am sorry that you have such a tendency to take comments so personally. I replied on the subject and you called me an idiot. If anyone is stirring the pot here, it's the guy in your mirror.
  • Options
    Gumby,

Everywhere I post, you have to follow in and pop off at me. It's constant. This is you and Allen's little game. You guys do it to fandango all the time, and it's getting old.

I posted facts from print, that a person from Topps stated. Then you suggested that I misunderstood, and you done it in a seemingly innocent way to pop off once again at me. It's always something, but you try and comment in a sly way to make it look as if you are innocent and meant nothing by it. We both know better.

Truly, you just rub me wrong, I rub you wrong, and it's very clear that we don't like each other. I have asked you probably 5-10 times to just go your own way, and I would do the same. You cannot honor this simple request that would prevent us from having any arguements on this forum.

I do my best to never comment on your posts in various threads, since I know that this will just keep things stirred up with animosity. Instead, I go out of my way to not say anything. I refrain, in hopes of this ongoing bitterness between us will subside.

I will ask one last time, please just leave me be, mind your own business, and you will never hear me say one word to you. It's a very simple request, and then the arguements will cease.
  • Options

<< <i>Gumby,

Everywhere I post, you have to follow in and pop off at me. It's constant. This is you and Allen's little game. You guys do it to fandango all the time, and it's getting old.

I posted facts from print, that a person from Topps stated. Then you suggested that I misunderstood, and you done it in a seemingly innocent way to pop off once again at me. It's always something, but you try and comment in a sly way to make it look as if you are innocent and meant nothing by it. We both know better.

Truly, you just rub me wrong, I rub you wrong, and it's very clear that we don't like each other. I have asked you probably 5-10 times to just go your own way, and I would do the same. You cannot honor this simple request that would prevent us from having any arguements on this forum.

I do my best to never comment on your posts in various threads, since I know that this will just keep things stirred up with animosity. Instead, I go out of my way to not say anything. I refrain, in hopes of this ongoing bitterness between us will subside.

I will ask one last time, please just leave me be, mind your own business, and you will never hear me say one word to you. It's a very simple request, and then the arguements will cease. >>

You don't get it. I'll type slowly so you can read it easier.

I replied to the topic, not to you.

I do not follow you around here. I don't mean to be so blunt, but you are insignificant to me. You are a voice in the distance that I really couldn't care less about. I don't know if your antidepressants need a refill or if you need to take a serious personal assessment to see why you take comments on a message board so personally. You read the comments wrong, make your assumptions about the intent of the words and you fire back with namecalling and anger...completely ignoring the actual comments that were written.

I will reply to whatever threads I feel I can contribute to, make a joke in or point out someone else's shortcomings in. The fact that you may or may not post on that same thread has absolutely no bearing on me, my life or my general happiness.

Please, really, talk to someone about your problems. The world is not really out to get you, and neither am I.
  • Options
    Once again, your false accusations of mental problems. What a classless person you are. Same game you play on fandango, so I am not totally surprised.

For the record, I have never smoked, drank, chewed, or done any sort of illegal drugs in my life, and am of a perfectly sane mind.

Nice to go taking unwarranted personal pot shots when it fits your little game. I guess you have to have somewhere to run your smart mouth, because in the real world it could get you in some trouble.
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    We all need to take a group...

See. It is all better now.
  • Options

Thanks Justin!
  • Options

Right now on ebay, well since last year some sellers have been selling a bunch of 1/1 that were redemptions, so it seems they are not destroyed but back-doored
    Like check out seller steelcitysportscards1 he has sold 100's of 1/1, sets of plates never released plus 100's of finest redemptions, with what seems like 100+ 1/1 RC's
    Many player collectors have been mentioning this in other sportscards forums like beckett,etc

check this post

link to thread

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't really know what to think, I own the redemption for the Sergio Rodriguez White Framed Refractor XRC 1/1 that he is selling... >>

Well there goes my thoughts on the whole thing. Of course if you didn't redeem it and it expired then it looks like Topps got rid of them once they expired. Then again there goes the "we destroy all cards" statement they made >>

Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Until I see a photo of them destroying the cards or some other proof I will not believe it especially from some marketing man who is going to say excatly what the public wants to hear.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    those 1/1 plates you refer to are all fakes that came from taiwan....

STAY AWAY FROM 1/1 PLATES
  • Options
    check out the newest post(one of at least 20 I have seen since last year)

link

It would have been nice if Beckett asked Topps, what about all these ebay sellers from Pennsylvania(topps located here aswell), selling all these suppose destroyed cards on ebay, when they claim they destroy them
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Topps uses an third party printing source, I wouldn't be surprised if these cards ended up on the market. I doubt Topps keeps these cards in their New York offices, so how does anyone know if a card is actually destroyed. Too much money to be made just to let them end up in a garbage dump.
    Mike
  • Options

My question on this ... especially for Upper Deck. Where are the 6 unredeemed. /23 Jordan Rookies buybacks? There is no way they destroyed them at $1M+ a pop.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

You know how in 1991 Topps did a big 40th anniversary celebration where they randomly inserted one of every card they ever made, but for the complete sets and for the 1952-56 cards that wouldn't fit inside a pack, they supposedly used redemption cards in their place. I wonder if any of them ever turned up and if so what they look like?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars