Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for MPL collectors.

I am currently attempting to complete my MPL collection, and I am more than half way throught the journey. I have asked myself, what will I collect next after I'm done with my MPL (except for the 1909 VDB). Proof three cent nickels have been calling my attention lately, and I think that I will start collecting them once I'm done with the MPL.

Question is... for those who are MPL collectors, what proof issue would you collect once you feel your MPL is as complete as it could be?
-Gabe

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I have considered either Matte Proof Buffalos, or 19th Century Proof coins. Barbers, Morgans, Indian Cents, 2 and 3 cents, 20 cents, Seated coins are all very good value IMO. Low mintage stuff at very affordable prices.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Paul. In fact I have started on the Proof Buffs, although of the three I have acquired only one is a matte. Hopefully more to come.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bad of a Lincoln bug do you have? 1936-1942 in cameo is the next progression in the Lincoln series .... if you truly have the bug.
    Doug
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Aside from a set of Flying Eagles, I am slowly working on a nice set of proof IHCs in RB.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    I'll second Doug's suggestion about 30's and 40's. DCAM designation to the earliest possible date, including the major varieties (79T2, 81T2, 90 noS, 70SD and 60SD). Add as many DCAMs from the 50's as possible and CAMs for the others. I haven't seen enough of the 50's varieties to know how difficult they are to locate in CAM. There may be quite a few already holdered. CAM on the other varieties (both 71S, and all 3 60's). Locating some of these 60-90 varieties in DCAM is darn near impossible and an upgrade I haven't complete yet. I'm glad I made a few of these myself years ago.

David
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    While I am a Lincoln cent collector I suggest you collect the 3 cent nickel proofs BECAUSE that appears to be what interests YOU. I am a firm believer in that you should collect what YOU like. Doug and others are correct that in the Lincoln proof series, the next grouping would be 1936 to 1942 and those coins would look lots different that the MPL's. They may or may not appeal to you and getting them in CAMEO is not cheap. So, again I say collect next what YOU really think you will enjoy. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof Mercury dimes or Proof Roosevelt dimes..........image

Ken
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gabe,

I have asked myself the same and am currently working on a toned set fof Lincoln proofs from 36 on. It is also hard to stay away from proof IHCs.

Also thinking of starting a set of Capped Bust Half dimes. Nice short series.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that over time I will be upgrading my Mattes. There are two MS66RD's that Im on the lookout for to upgrade my 1909 Cent collection, a 1909 S IHC and the 1909 S/'horizonal S

Other series, Only certain high grade examples bought mostly as an investment. The Cameo proof buffalo nickel is a stunning coin, if another pops up.....I may go for it.

Sort of outside the normal realm of collecting, but the Civil War storecards and merchant tokens are interesting, as well as amazingly affordable.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my plot is a box of 20 cents which matty's minus the vdb fill 8 slots.
    the 36 to 42 fill another 7 slots as both examples of the 36 just aren't a priority.
    the 1965-1967 sms in cameo fill another 3 slots.
    09 proof injun and mid grade unc 1857 flyer ices that box of 20 done
    then a box of 20 nickels starts with matte buff's of course......;-)
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to warn you I used that term you used on the 09 Indian head cent on another message board and got the most royal reaming out since it appears that term is very racial and considered a slur. (just passing the info along bro)
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reason, I have been assembling a collection of raw proof and SMS Lincolns from 1936 to 1970, trying my best to find Cameo and DCAM examples. I started out seeking 1950-70 coins and a few years back started on the 1936-42 issues.

I have been at it for about 9 years. The 1950-1970 coins (23 if you include the 1960 and 1970 large and small date varieties) are completed (though I look for upgrades). In the 1936-42 era I have a 1936 brilliant, a 1940 brilliant and a 1942 with some frost in the devices.

I do not know how many of the 1950-70 coins would CAM or DCAM if slabbed, but there is no doubt that the coins have the "Cameo" look to them. Quite attractive.

It is surprising how tough it is to find these coins raw. I did lots of digging and cherry picking to find them. However, when you do find them, you can pick them up for much less than what a slabbed coin would run you.