Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Leif Ericson Icelandic coin

Does anyone know if PCGS has slabbed (they must have) the Leif Ericson Icelandic coin minted with the commeorative coin a couple of years ago? What is the PCGS #? I want to submit mine, but can't find a number.

Mansco

Comments

• Options
    PCGS does certify the Islandic Leif Ericson coin.
    The series# is OPR and the PCGS #is 89785 for the
    PRDCAM.
    Regards,
    Bob Lecce
    Robert B. Lecce
    President: Robert B. Lecce, Numismatist, Inc. Est. 1955.
    WWW.RAREUSGOLD.COM
    Modern Commems. 1982 to Date. PCGS MS69/70 and PR69/70DCAM.
    PF. Gold and Silver Eagles. Rare Gold 1795-1933. Cal. Fractional Gold. Email your needs.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    PCGS does not list CAM/DCAM for the Islandic version of this coin - only the US version. PCGS does not list CAM/DCAM for any proof foreign coin.
  • Options
    I have an Iceland Leif Ericson graded PR69DCAM by PCGS, so they obviously do grade (this coin anyway) DCAM on foreign coins.

Series 0PR, coin #89785
    Morgan

Collecting modern and vintage commems, indian cents, and modern type.
  • Options
    I currently have 5 Icy coins in stock and they
    are all graded 69DCAM.
    Bob
    Robert B. Lecce
    President: Robert B. Lecce, Numismatist, Inc. Est. 1955.
    WWW.RAREUSGOLD.COM
    Modern Commems. 1982 to Date. PCGS MS69/70 and PR69/70DCAM.
    PF. Gold and Silver Eagles. Rare Gold 1795-1933. Cal. Fractional Gold. Email your needs.
  • Options
    Are you sure you guys don't have the US version of the coins? The mint made a US and an Islandic version. PCGS lists CAM/DCAM for the US version, but not the Islandic version. At least the ones that I have are this way.
  • Options
    I sent in one of my two sets and both coins came back PR68 only image so I never tried again. I can clearly see nice cameo on the US coin if not full cameo. I looked but I can't find the Icelandic coin right now to see. I remeber when I sent mine in I could only find a number for the US coin and had to leave the number blank for the other.

Larry
    Dabigkahunimage
  • Options
    gmarguli,

I think (but may be incorrect) that the reason for this coin getting the dcam designation is that it was minted by the US Mint and not a foreign Mint.

UPDATE---
    I got out my set and looked at the certificate that came with it. The US Mint did mint the Icelandic coin as well didn't it? The certificate is not so clear on that issue.

madmike
  • Options
    Here are how 4 that I submitted graded. They were submitted in this order. The US coins got the DCAM designation while the Islandic coins did not.

• Options
    Sorry Greg, I still don't believe you. image

Did you submit yours soon after they were issued?

My guess would be PCGS got some flack from submitters when their coins didn't come back "DCAM", so they changed their labelling scheme. Better $ubmit yours for reholdering. image

Same thing happened a couple years back with modern commem and eagle proofs. And, believe it or not, I had returns from several customers because they didn't say "DCAM" on the label. I even offered to pay the $5 reholdering fees for one larger order to no avail. In this case, apparently, a word is worth more than a thousand pictures.

Hmm... come to think of it, your cameo is looking a little weak too...
  • Options
    Supercoin, these coins were submitted shortly after they were released from the mint. I was actually surprised that they didn't come back with a DCAM designation.

Good news is that I can re$ubmit these coins under the "Designation Review" service which is $10 (or $5 depending on who you talk to). That's OK, I'm going to sell them on eBay as the rare early version PCGS slabbed coins. And we all know that PCGS was stricter on coins they slabbed earlier. Maybe these could grade PR70 on regrade and be worth $5000 each? I'll have to let the eBay bidders decide.