Home Stamps Forum
Options

I must be crazy!!

Pickings have been slim lately on ebay. I saw this auction and could not resist. I hate random lots..yuck, but this guy says money back if I don't like it. Anyway, he says he's got a ton more of old U.S. stuff and I can't afford it all, so thought maybe someone on here might be interested. I saw some nice pictorials and columbians and mentioned some of those would be nice to have. Man..I hope this isn't some bait and switch..I'll be freak'in out for the next 5-7 days!!

Comments

• Options
    Good luck with that, hope you get something decent.
  • Options
    The material in the pictures looks good.

I hope it looks as good up close and personal.

Tell us what you find when you get it.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when they don't show you what you're getting it a big gamble, breaking it into ten lots means
    we keep the good stuff and you get well the #@$%
  • Options
    And unfortunately that is the rule rather than the exception. Occasionally though you can run into a decent deal.
  • Options
    You're probably right. I've bought large bulk items from estates with success but never from a dealer. This person is certainly a dealer, so we will see. No risk no reward though, right? I'll post images either way. If the items stink, they will be going back.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Actually, it looks utterly bait and switch to me. Upon first glance at the pictures I thought "Wow! What a cool lot of items. The guy got a steal!" until I read the actual text and realized that all you are not getting the entire lot; all you are getting are 10 album pages or stock pages, and are NOT guaranteed to get anything in the pictures...
  • Options
    Well let us know anyway, sometimes you can get a decent DEAL from a dealer.
  • Options
    This turned out to be pretty brutal after all. I can't believe this guy didn't think I would not return it. It was 90% post 1920's and the few that were early mint looked to be fakes/reprints. They make not be fakes, but I'm not taking any chances. It was no way near close to $4,000 SCV. Ebay is starting to really become a challenge..at times anyway. Here is a link ,that hopefully works, to a few photos.

Stamps
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    That #2 doesn't look right, but I'm by no means an expert.

Sorry to say that my initial gut feeling was right. image
  • Options
    The #2 is a forgery and the 10c green 1855 is a proof.

Hard to have much sympathy really ..... sorry. I never quite understand why people don't stick to buying from reputable dealers and paying what something is worth.

PS - How are the 1c covers?
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Yeah but sometimes it's hard determine if the price offered by a dealer is what it's worth. I find prices are usually more than what the item is worth. Just getting a refund back from an APS member etc blah blah after returning the item and emailing for 2 months, had to leave - feedback AND threaten to contact APS.
  • Options
    Wasn't looking for sympathy and I mostly do buy from sellers I have done business with in the past, but even then it's no guarantee.
  • Options
    Amen