Home Sports Talk

Contest for the future 2008 World Series Champions the Philadelphia Phillies

stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guess the correct day the Phillies clinch the NL East and win $100. All predictions must be in by the end of April. No edits, even if done before the end of April. Contest restricted to those with over 500 CU forum posts as of the day of the prediction, otherwise the prediction is void as far as the contest is concerned. First prediction of the correct day for anyone with over 500 posts is the winner. Remember, it's the day the Phillies clinch, which could be because of another team losing, not necessarily on a day the Phillies play.

The winner can then guess the correct day the Phillies win the NL pennant and the total prize amount will be $250. That prediction needs to be made before the first playoff game.

The winner can then guess the correct day the Phillies win the World Series and the total prize amount will be $500. That prediction needs to be made before the first World Series game.

Winner will be paid through PayPal, no other way - you must have a PayPal account.

Good luck!

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let me be the first to say that the correct answer does not exist...the Phils will not clinch the NL East in 2008
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>let me be the first to say that the correct answer does not exist...the Phils will not clinch the NL East in 2008 >>

With that negative comment about the Phillies, Barndog has been officially barred from the contest.
  • Lets try Sept 28th and October 17th.

It won't matter who wins the NL its Red Sox back to back World series victories anyway.

<< <i>Lets try Sept 28th and October 17th.

It won't matter who wins the NL its Red Sox back to back World series victories anyway. >>

That's okay if the Phillies don't go all the way as far as the contest is concerned. Winnings will be paid after each Phillies championship event - NL East, then NL, then WS.

-
  • august 14th.

you did say eliminated, right?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

Will you be around on September 20, 2018 to pay out? image

Remember, patience is a virtue...said the three little pigs. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Steve,

Will you be around on September 20, 2018 to pay out? image

Remember, patience is a virtue...said the three little pigs. image >>

This will be the best $100 - $500 I ever spent.

Go Phillies!!!!!
  • I guess I'm not eligible to play since I don't have 500 posts, so I'll use this to up my post count.

<< <i>I guess I'm not eligible to play since I don't have 500 posts, so I'll use this to up my post count. >>

Go ahead if you wish - you're okay.
    Contest is hereby amended to 250 CU forum posts for eligibility.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September 21st

Thanks Steve, Im officially rooting for a Red Sox/Phillies World Series now for ya!
  • I would participate, but this thread feels dangerously close to gambling, sort of like one of those unwinnable gambling fuelers, the prop bet. Anyone who wins this will simply give the money to his local bookie over time, or to the rake at online poker (WHICH CAN'T BE BEAT, BY THE WAY).

I hope that he Phillies are out of it for your sake, SteveK - the action from this bet in September might send you into the downward spiral of gambling again, and I'd hate to see you owe your book (or Calvin whoever or whomever else is the latest "bookie scumbag") 10 grand come October...

<< <i>I would participate, but this thread feels dangerously close to gambling, sort of like one of those unwinnable gambling fuelers, the prop bet. Anyone who wins this will simply give the money to his local bookie over time, or to the rake at online poker (WHICH CAN'T BE BEAT, BY THE WAY).

I hope that he Phillies are out of it for your sake, SteveK - the action from this bet in September might send you into the downward spiral of gambling again, and I'd hate to see you owe your book (or Calvin whoever or whomever else is the latest "bookie scumbag") 10 grand come October...

image >>

<<< I'd hate to see you owe your book >>>

Don't worry about it - you won't be seeing it.

<<< this thread feels dangerously close to gambling >>>

To me it's not "gambling" if you can't lose money. I am "offering" money if an event occurs. I am able to do so because I have extra money now, because I don't gamble anymore.

Admittedly, I still like "action" except that I do that now in healthy non-gambling ways such as actively buying & selling on ebay, as well as other business endeavors. Not foolishly losing my money to a Calvin Ayre.

The contest is just a way to have some "action" and have some fun on the board. The $100 part is very winnable for somebody as the bookie odds are only 2 - 1 for the Phillies winning the East, so you're comment "unwinnable gambling fuelers" isn't even close to being right. If the Phillies clinch the East, chances are excellent it would be in the last two weeks of the season so how is picking a 2 - 1 shot with about 14 different days so unwinnable? Yes, the extra money of $150 and $250 more will be much tougher to win, but not "unwinnable" by any means.

So lighten up and make a prediction if you want to, but I doubt if you will, and I couldn't care less if you do or not. I want the Phillies to win a championship so bad, I wouldn't even mind PayPaling $500 to you LOL...but I hope someone like Perkdog wins.

-

• << <i>To me it's not "gambling" if you can't lose money. I am "offering" money if an event occurs >>

Thats gambling dude.
  • Oh, and I took the Phillies over 88 wins this year, so after they win #89 I hope Ryan Howard eats another cheesesteak and explodes...
    Probably a bad bet, but what can I say except that I'm a sucker?

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>To me it's not "gambling" if you can't lose money. I am "offering" money if an event occurs >>

Thats gambling dude. >>

Gambling is when you can lose something or if the house takes juice.

If you think losing valuable time by making a prediction, then I suppose at that point, you could consider it gambling.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • <<

<< To me it's not "gambling" if you can't lose money. I am "offering" money if an event occurs >>

Thats gambling dude. >>

If you think losing valuable time by making a prediction, then I suppose at that point, you could consider it gambling.

So SteveK is gambling here, no?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>To me it's not "gambling" if you can't lose money. I am "offering" money if an event occurs >>

Thats gambling dude. >>

If you think losing valuable time by making a prediction, then I suppose at that point, you could consider it gambling. >>

Stown's got it right along my lines of thinking. Anyone could even consider crossing a busy street a "gamble" - to me that would be considered a "risk" not a gamble. I keep my definition of gambling focused primarily on avoiding foolish behavior of playing games trying to win money whereby there is basically a 100% chance of losing money in the long term...and in my view that includes anything and everything offered by the gambling industry.

-
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never.

PM sent with Paypal info. Thanks. image
  • Congrats to Tom Gordan and his 135.00 ERA

imagey

<< <i>Congrats to Tom Gordan and his 135.00 ERA

image >>

Phillies always start the season slow. I ain't the least bit worried about it.
    Same old story for the Phils - beat the good teams, lose to the bad teams. If we played the Mets and Braves every game, we'd win 120 games.

Way to start the season!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    In early voiting, Santana is in the lead for the Cy Young Award....

And "Flash" Gordon, well, he might get this ERA under a hundred with a couple better outings...

Don't worry, Steve, look at the bright side, you won't have any stress watching the Sillies once they're eliminated by August...

J. Reyes ss 4 1 2 1 0 1 0 .500
    L. Castillo 2b 3 1 1 0 2 0 0 .333
    D. Wright 3b 4 0 2 3 1 0 2 .500
    C. Beltran cf 5 1 2 0 0 1 3 .400

Not a bad start for the first half of the lineup, wouldn't you say Stevey boy??

And with Santana hurling 7 IP, this team will be tough to beat.

Even Kevin has got to realize this by now...

Let's GO METS!!!

<< <i>

image >>

Phillies always start the season slow. I ain't the least bit worried about it. >>

I'm tryin' to tell ya - I ain't the least bit worried about it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Phillies always start the season slow. I ain't the least bit worried about it. >>

I'm tryin' to tell ya - I ain't the least bit worried about it. >>

Yeah, your right, even the 1972 Phillies, er, I mean Steve Carlton, won SOME games.
  • Escobar, Yunel

beware

imagey
    Where'd all dem chirpin' canary Mets fans go? Ah Ha Ha Ha.........
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    September 23rd

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Sept. 14

Santana goes down for the season by August 1.

In a desperate move to boost morale, Pedro brings back the midget.

David Wright learns one Spanish phrase - "no mas, por favor, no mas."
  • Need a flashlight down there?

imagey
    The Philly offense sure is fearsome!! LMAO!!!

Mets win 13-0!!

<< <i>The Philly offense sure is fearsome!! LMAO!!!

Mets win 13-0!! >>

I still ain't the least bit worried about it.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Well one Mets starter down 1 to go.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Good to get a win. But 4 errors...ugg. Phils are playing a little sloppy right now, but again they start slow and will be in first place when it matters...after 162 games.
    NEW PAYMENT OPTION:

If the winner is a Mets fan, he has the option of, in the context of a charitable donation, having the money sent to Willie Randolph's PayPal account because Randolph may need money after he gets fired this season and is unemployed.

No need for Mets fans to thank me for offering this option. I'm happy to do it.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    ill paypal you 5$ tonite if willie is fired right now... that would be to easy for the mets to make that decision. he is a bench coach not a manager. i learn as i go wtf is that?
    Is Davey Johnson still available?

If Chic Anderson was alive today and calling a Phillies game, he would say "The Phillies are moving like a tremendous machine"
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    september 29
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Contest is officially closed.

When the Phillies clinch the NL East, hopefully someone here will be a winner, as not all the dates were taken.

Good Luck!
    This contest is looking good for those who entered. End of May and the Phillies are in first place and looking strong. Again...Good luck to those who entered! image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Steve
    Good for you.
    Still 4 guys with a shot...

perkdog: September 21st

1420sports: September 23rd

mercurynut: Sept 28th

baseballfan: september 29

<< <i>Still 4 guys with a shot...

baseballfan: september 29 >>

And: Connecticoin: Never! image

<< <i>

And: Connecticoin: Never! image >>

If "never" hits then Stalin owes you $100 LOL

<< <i>

<< <i>

And: Connecticoin: Never! image >>

If "never" hits then Stalin owes you $100 LOL >>

Maybe he will give me his shares of Lehman stock.

Well, I would have liked to have seen 1420, a fellow Phillies fan, win this thing, but it was not to be. Mercurynut has a shot, and Baseballfan would need a one game playoff between the Phillies and Mets, with of course a Phillies win.