Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Michael Jordan Flight School, do you want to send your kid? Which painting would look better signed

If any of you established, trusted board members wants to send your son/daughter to Michael Jordan's Flight School for Kids, in Santa Barbara, CA, then I'll pay you $300.00 of the $610.00 tuition, IF you will get my Michael Jordan original painting signed by Michael with your child's one autograph. Your kid would have a great experience, getting direct instruction and playing with Michael for a few days, pictures with Michael and memories to last a life time, and I would get an Upper Deck authenticated signature for my Michael Jordan painting.

At the flight schools, Michael holds a session where he signs one item per camper, and it is upper deck authenticated right there on the spot with hologram and COA. This is a great opportunity to fulfill one of your kids wishes at a modest price of $310.00 or so, by me paying $300.00 of the tuition.

If the school were in Texas, my son would go.

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    That is an excellent and VERY generous scheme.

I hope somebody knows a ute who can benefit from it.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    If Jordan would do a show I would probably pay $700 for his auto just to get him to sign a Star Rookie. This is a good idea, not sure how you would need to word it, but you could possibly get this on eBay.
  • Options
    "...not sure how you would need to word it, but you could possibly get this on eBay. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The conditional element of the transaction precludes EBAY as an option.

I suspect the BST and this board is a pretty good place to get it done.
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213

<< <i>If Jordan would do a show I would probably pay $700 for his auto just to get him to sign a Star Rookie. This is a good idea, not sure how you would need to word it, but you could possibly get this on eBay. >>

Funny you say this because I think it was Tuff Stuff that had an article on this very subject a few months ago. They were speculating that if Jordan ever did a show his auto would go for around the 2,000 to 3,000 mark a pop. Rationale was that he has such a wide appeal they would be able to artificially limit the number of signature tickets to one or two hundred and would still be able to sell out.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Here's some info for anyone considering my offer. Great oppurtunity for your child to meet and learn from one of their heroes for only $310.00!!! (after my payment)

Eligibility
    Both boys and girls are welcomed. All applicants must be between the ages of 8 to 18 years old. Campers may not be high school graduates. Session (1) boys only. Session (2) boys and girls.

The camp will be conducted on the beautiful and prestigious campus of The University of California, Santa Barbara. Situated on the bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean with spectacular views of the Channel Islands and Santa Ynez coastal range, the campus sits in the midst of one of California’s most beautiful areas.

Facilities
    16 Full Courts (12 Indoor & 4 Outdoor), camp store, modern dormitories, laundry room & recreation room.

Registration
    Due to the volume of mail that we receive, please allow 2-3 weeks for Flight School enrollment confirmation. You may obtain the application online by clicking on the "Register" link, print out, complete and return it with full payment immediately. We operate on a first come first serve basis. Please make sure that you list a 1st and 2nd session choice on your camp application.

Sessions
    The camp will consist of two sessions: July 25 - 29 (Boys Only) & July 30 - August 3 (Boys and Girls). Each session begins with registration at 1:00pm. Dinner will be the only meal served on July 25th and July 30th. Check out begins at 12 noon and concludes at 2:00pm on July 29th and August 3rd. Campers may register for both sessions. Accommodations will be provided for campers who are registered to attend both sessions. This will require an additional fee of $45.00 for room and board.

Transportation
    Transportation is available at no charge for campers traveling to and from the local airport, bus or train stations on the first and last day of each session. Those who are in need of assistance can notify us by completing the transportation form that you will receive with your final information package in the coming months.

• Options
    Not sure how this is a good deal. My sister's kids and my son and step son have been there several times and every kid who attends gets one personal item signed by Jordan. The way we look at it is basically it's a "wash". The parent's hotel/food/kid's tuition bill is "offset" by the value of the signed memorabilia item. The tuition is a fraction of the total cost of the trip. Your offer of $300 represents a steep discount. If you were willing to pay the market price ($1000-$1200 for a throwback jersey, for example), you might get some interest but it still would be a tough sell even at $1200.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure how this is a good deal. My sister's kids and my son and step son have been there several times and every kid who attends gets one personal item signed by Jordan. The way we look at it is basically it's a "wash". The parent's hotel/food/kid's tuition bill is "offset" by the value of the signed memorabilia item. The tuition is a fraction of the total cost of the trip. Your offer of $300 represents a steep discount. If you were willing to pay the market price ($1000-$1200 for a throwback jersey, for example), you might get some interest but it still would be a tough sell even at $1200. >>

It's a good deal if you are local to Santa Barbara, CA and your kid wouldn't get to go without the tuition help. If it was here and I could send my kid for only $310.00, I would do it EVERY chance I got. Your telling me that the fun experience they get at the camp and getting to meet MJ isn't worth $310.00??

I know at the adult flight camps, it cost $17,500 and amongst everything else, that includes 2 sigs. It's not the sigs that make the experience for the kids, it's the chance to go and meet their idol. I'm offering a very cost effective way for a local resident to send their kid without too much of a stress on their budget. Will it be a benefit to me, of course, or I wouldn't even put it out there.

Mike
  • Options
    I still like this concept.

I am thinking that if time runs short, it might be worth
    considering a freebie to an "inner-city" kid whose parents
    do not even have the $310.

Just a thought.

I don't tell folks how to spend their money, unless they
    are in my stores.

• Options

<< <i>I still like this concept.

I am thinking that if time runs short, it might be worth
    considering a freebie to an "inner-city" kid whose parents
    do not even have the $310.

Just a thought.

I don't tell folks how to spend their money, unless they
    are in my stores. >>

Storm888,

That's a good idea, and if no one takes me up on the offer, I MIGHT up it as the event gets closer. I think if I hit the right audience, though, that I will find a taker for the $300.00 deal. Might have to take out a small classified in the Santa Barbara paper, or get the local YMCA to post it on their bulletin board. It's just a question of getting to the right audience. I am also exploring other methods as well as I submitted an offer last night to the James Jordan Foundation, that I would send them a $500.00 donation in exchange for getting my painting signed, but they have not responded yet. I'm not in a rush yet, so I've got time to explore various options, and we'll see who comes through first, a parent, or the Foundation, and who knows, maybe neither. If I was the Foundation, though, I'd definitely take it.

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    My friends son and his 3 buddies have gone several years in a row, they love it.
    I'll send him a link to this thread.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>My friends son and his 3 buddies have gone several years in a row, they love it.
    I'll send him a link to this thread. >>

Griffins,

I appreciate it. Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    Mike, I still like your idea. I think the amount you are offering is very fair, though you might need to up the amount. You can pick up many certified or authenticated Jordan autos for $300 or less. I don't think you should be expected to pony up full fees for parents hotel, food, airfare, etc. I think you will end up finding someone to do this.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    You're totally at the mercy of the kid on this one. I would personally be all about it if I was in the area but it might be really tough convincing the kid that they can't keep the sig.
  • Options
    rip- I thought that too, but I am thinking maybe some of the kids who have been 3 or 4 times as mentioned. They probably have a few items signed already.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>rip- I thought that too, but I am thinking maybe some of the kids who have been 3 or 4 times as mentioned. They probably have a few items signed already. >>

That could be true. Of course you're also going to be at the mercy of the parent as well. I am sure that there are some parents who would put more interest in the value of the sig than the fact that their kid is getting some great instruction.
  • Options
    The $500 donation to the foundation is sounding better and better.
  • Options
    I live in Santa Barbara and The Jordan camp has been going on for years. I have some friends kids that have gone. I was out there 4 years ago and he brings many other players to help out. The coolest thing about the camp is that when he is in town he also is the Bartender at Omalley's during Fiesta. For those of you that do not know what Fiesta is well it is basically about a million people come here from all over the world and they city closes off State St. and it is a huge party for 5 days. Jordan smokes cigars and serves beer behind the bar. In the bar there are pictures of him as well doing it. It is well known here that when he does his camp he will be at Omalley's on that Friday night of Fiesta. Omalley's charges a normal cover to get in but during Fiesta all the bars do. I have seen him for the last 8 years at the same bar and same time .. it is pretty cool. If anyone wants to know any information about Santa Barbara or Fiesta and the camp just e-mail me @ jseidler@cox.net...
    "If someone tells you that money is the root of all evil. They don't have any"
  • Options
    <<<You can pick up many certified or authenticated Jordan autos for $300 or less>>

Not for UD certified throwback jersey's, Air Jordan Shoes, North Carolina Jerseys or other significant memorabilia items. They go for anywhere between $800 and $2000, sometimes higher. The parents are not idiots. They make sure Jordan signs the right item not some brown paper bag. If you've been more than once, you've perfected the system in terms of what you bring. The parents have no problem buying a $200 to $300 pair of shoes for Jordan to sign. The signing session is the highlight for the kids and I doubt anybody would give this memorabilia item up for a measly $300. Sorry, Mike. Good idea but I think you're going to have to up the offer to get any bites.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Also for those of you that have no clue about Santa Barbara it is an extremely wealthy town. The majority of the parents that have their kids go to the camp whatever the cost is that is absolutely nothing. I am not sure what it costs to live other places but You cannot buy something even decent for less than 1.5 mil. Sure you can get a dump with no yard for 900k but 900k is nada here.. I used to live in Il and I know the difference. So the people sending their kids to the camp money is no object whatsoever. As long as their kids are having fun and have an opportunity to hang out at the camp and learn from him and others that is all that matters. A completely different tax bracket the majority of the people here.

Also if anyone from the board is attending and needs a place to crash. If you are respectable and clean you are more than welcome. I have an extra room ( my card room) that you can stay for the camp if you bring your child. It is extremely difficult to find a hotel room that part of the year because they are all booked up for Fiesta!! I live 2 miles from the bars and fiesta and 1 mile from where Jordan's camp is!
    "If someone tells you that money is the root of all evil. They don't have any"
  • Options
    Spoke with my friend- the standing offer from a lot of local stores and non collector fans is well over $300. for auto'd items. As Illini stated it's a very affluent area and $300 really isn't anything to most anyone whose kid wants to attend.

edited to add
    Fiesta is a blast, and SB is only 90 minutes from L.A. so they get a lot of people pouring into town.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Fiesta is a major drinking party at night, but has parades, events and some very good food at the mercados during the day. And, it's an absolute sold out event. No hotels have vacancies unless you are willing to step up to the big spender levels and lots of people come to town for the 3 to 4 day event. Book your hotel now...

If I had a downtown apartment I'd leave town and make a tiddy profit for the week rental.

O'malleys and all the other bars are packed each night. You might see Mike poor a few drinks, but you'll be 4 rows back unless you're 1) there all day; 2) very big; 3) a hot chick (and I mean that in the nicest way).

1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options

<< <i><<<You can pick up many certified or authenticated jordan autos for $300 or less>>

Not for UD certified throwback jersey's, Air jordan Shoes, North Carolina Jerseys or other significant memorabilia items. They go for anywhere between $800 and $2000, sometimes higher. The parents are not idiots. They make sure jordan signs the right item not some brown paper bag. If you've been more than once, you've perfected the system in terms of what you bring. The parents have no problem buying a $200 to $300 pair of shoes for jordan to sign. The signing session is the highlight for the kids and I doubt anybody would give this memorabilia item up for a measly $300. Sorry, Mike. Good idea but I think you're going to have to up the offer to get any bites. >>

I said a certified Jordan auto, not the highest end Jordan certified item such as Jerseys and Shoes. That is the same as me saying that there are some nice cars available for under $20K and your snappy response is, You cannot buy a Porshe for $20K. If you do not understand that logic here ya go.

Jordan UDA 8x10 Auto for $202

Signed card from the Jordan Camp w/ UDA cert and BGS graded $255

Jordan Book UDA Cert Auto $235

New pack pulled Jordan auto $280

Ya Dig?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    You have the link to the camp? My cousin is a high school basketball player who goes to one or two camps each summer. He is within 3 hours of Santa Barbara. Give me the link and I will float the idea by him. Also, PM your best offer of how much you would pay. His family is not real wealthy. Thanks.
  • Options

• Options
    <<<I said a certified Jordan auto, not the highest end Jordan certified item such as Jerseys and Shoes. That is the same as me saying that there are some nice cars available for under $20K and your snappy response is, You cannot buy a Porshe for $20K. If you do not understand that logic here ya go>>>

I would hardly call my response, "snappy". My point is most parents bring the high end items. It's the newbies who may bring the cards and photos, i.e. the $300 items. And, they only make that mistake once. So, if you happen to find one of these people who would jump at getting market value for their auto, you still have to convince them it's a good deal since you're dealing with the sentimental value on top of the retail value. That's hard to overcome, Allen.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    My experience is that the item I have seen the most with Jordan Camp UDA certs are 1996 and 1997 SPx cards. I have often wondered if UD gave these out at the signings.
  • Options
    Here are two of the Jordan paintings I have, the storage shed has taken a toll on these two some. A third was really bad. One of these is just a little dirty (the portrait), the flying one has a mouse hole just to the right of my daughter's head, I'll get it fixed before I get them signed.

Which one would you get signed if you could only get one? The colors on both are brilliant, my camera phone won't display a quality picture well so the photos look bad. Once my wife gets home with the digital camera, I'll take some better shots. If they were yours, which would you get signed? My daughter is in the shot for size perspective.

Mike

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are two of the Jordan paintings I have, the storage shed has taken a toll on these two some. A third was really bad. One of these is just a little dirty (the portrait), the flying one has a mouse hole just to the right of my daughter's head, I'll get it fixed before I get them signed.

Which one would you get signed if you could only get one? The colors on both are brilliant, my camera phone won't display a quality picture well so the photos look bad. Once my wife gets home with the digital camera, I'll take some better shots. If they were yours, which would you get signed? My daughter is in the shot for size perspective.

Mike

image >>

I like the flying one best.

Jake
  • Options
    I would get the bust signed, first.

(The one without the mouse bite.)
  • Options
    Better pics