Home Sports Talk

Who can beat the Phillies in 08?

joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
I was sitting there looking at all the major league teams and I was sitting scratching my head, wondering......

who can beat the Phils in 08? I just don't see a team out there. This is going to be sick!

JS

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The New York Metropolitans for one...

MVP: David Wright

Cy Young: Santana

And we won't get swept in the first round either. The NL East title returns to Queens!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Mets spend 10 times the money the Phils do and what do the have to show for it...one title in 22 years? We already know that
    the Mets can't touch Hamels, but now this guy Kendrick is going to be a Met killa.....better wheel out Pedro and hopes he regains
    some of that 80's magic back!

not

js
  • Phillies are very very beatable.
    I just find it hilarious that Kevin is a Phillies "fan" since he ridicules the Philadelphia Eagles every chance he gets, LOL! At least SteveK is consistent with the Philly thing...but what can you expect from a bandwagon fan like Stalin? Not much!

Oh, and that payroll thing? Just another tired excuse as old as the hills, and guess what? Philly's payroll for 2008 is their highest ever, at over 106 million, so you guys aren't too far behind anyway in that department!

Get used to being shutout by the best pitcher in baseball: JOHAN!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw where the books made the Phillies 2 - 1 to win the NL East, and the Mets are 2 - 5 which is a decent favorite but not overwhelming by any means. Those 2- 5 horses at Belmont and Aqueduct lose on a regular basis.

So while the Mets are the bookies favorite on paper, the determination and resolve of the Phillies players, helped along by a loyal and hungry base of great fans, wlll urge and root the Phillies to another NL East championship, the NL pennant, and ultimately a World Series triumph over the Yankees or Red Sox.
    Steve, if nothing else, I admire your imagination!

Secretariat was a 2-5 favorite, too, and just like him, the Mets will go wire to wire in '08!!

• silly people
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    29 of 'em last time I counted.

<< <i>Steve, if nothing else, I admire your imagination!

Secretariat was a 2-5 favorite, too, and just like him, the Mets will go wire to wire in '08!! >>

The Phillies are gonna be like a Secretariat this season, the Mets are a "Sham" image

Although I don't think the Phillies will win the NL East by "31" games. LOL

Also if you remember, Onion beat Secretariat in a race ran a few months after the Belmont Stakes, and Secretariat was odds of 1 - 10 that day.

And the Phillies at 2 - 1 certainly is no longshot by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, it'll be a joy watching a fantastic parade down Broad Street this year for the Phillies. Any NY fans want to drive down and enjoy our parade, the drinks are on me. I'll even pay for a few lap dances for ya! LOL

-
    OOOOOOOOk, so by my tally, these are the teams that can beat the Phillies:

JS

<< <i>OOOOOOOOk, so by my tally, these are the teams that can beat the Phillies:

JS >>

Hell, your beloved FSU Criminoles could probably beat the Phillies.
    you all paid Dice K Matsusucka how much to go 11-12?

LMFAO

js

<< <i>you all paid Dice K Matsusucka how much to go 11-12?

LMFAO

js >>

"Flash in the Pan" Toe Camels will go 7-16. image
  • Stalin, ill bet you th-

wait, no i wont

imagey
    Camels is a lock for 20 games this year as long as his bullpen doesn't screw that up. Dice K will be counting his yen in Pawtucket in a few
    months!

js
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Camels is a lock for 20 games this year as long as his bullpen doesn't screw that up. Dice K will be counting his yen in Pawtucket in a few
    months!

js >>

Kevin he would have to take his World Series ring off to count all that Yen so I dont see that happening.

Thanks

<< <i>

<< <i>Camels is a lock for 20 games this year as long as his bullpen doesn't screw that up. Dice K will be counting his yen in Pawtucket in a few
    months!

js >>

Kevin he would have to take his World Series ring off to count all that Yen so I dont see that happening.

Thanks >>

yeah, even the bat boys get rings don't they?

js
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Mets and Braves.

Also the Mets have not spent 10x the money over the past 22 yrs.

Did you really think you could slip that by us?

Steve
    Good for you.
    SteveK I think you forgot about a team in Detroit.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>SteveK I think you forgot about a team in Detroit.

Steve >>

Phillies - Tigers WS...sounds good to me.
  • I think these kids have a good shot at beating the Phillies and winning the east.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What, no love for the Tigers, best lineup in the Majors and the pitching is good, except we never know about the closer situation.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    BobaFett .... edited
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Let's face it, the Phillies are most likely going to score tons of runs. Probably the most potent offense in the NL, and maybe only behind Detroit in all of MLB. Personally, I think Howard could hit 60 HR's with 150+ RBI and win the MVP. The real key for them though will be pitching... if they can get any kind of decent product from their arms, I would say they could take the East and do well in the playoffs. Trouble is, that's a big if. Don't they still have Joe Table and the 6-fingered man on their roster?
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
    If the Phillies need to win 12-11 every night then that is what they are going to do!

The Tigers remind me of their mayor..one and done.

I still see NO ONE who can even touch the Phils.

js
    God I can't wait to bring this thread back up when John Maine and the Mets are 10 games
    ahead of the Phillies.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>God I can't wait to bring this thread back up when John Maine and the Mets are 10 games
    ahead of the Phillies.

Steve >>

Lemme think...didn't that occur before? Oh yea, it was last season. And then what happened? LOL

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Phillies in 08?image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>God I can't wait to bring this thread back up when John Maine and the Mets are 10 games
    ahead of the Phillies.

Steve >>

at least it will be easy to find on April 20th.
  • Jeeze the braves give both you bums a little taste of success and you think run the joint now. Time for a little reminder on who runs the NL east.

imagey
    Yeah the Phillies backed in winning the division then were bounced in round 1.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Yeah the Phillies backed in winning the division then were bounced in round 1.

Steve >>

Ha! You and Jerry in denial trying to forget about the Mets monumental collapse last year. I don't blame you...I still think about the Phillies collapse in 1964. LOL

Bottom line - The Phillies got to the dance last year and the Mets didn't...and that ain't gonna change this season. I'm expecting the Mets with their band of overpaid, undermotivated, mercenary players, to foldup this year just like last year when the going gets tough. Ha! Ha!

But don't worry about it - You're still invited to the Phillies championship parade in the fall.

-

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah the Phillies backed in winning the division then were bounced in round 1.

Steve >>

Ha! You and Jerry in denial trying to forget about the Mets monumental collapse last year. I don't blame you...I still think about the Phillies collapse in 1964. LOL

Bottom line - The Phillies got to the dance last year and the Mets didn't...and that ain't gonna change this season. I'm expecting the Mets with their band of overpaid, undermotivated, mercenary players, to foldup this year just like last year when the going gets tough. Ha! Ha!

But don't worry about it - You're still invited to the Phillies championship parade in the fall.

- >>

You have a better chance of the Sixers doing a miracle run in the NBA playoffs this year.
  • Q: Who can beat the Phillies in 08?

A: About 3/4 of the teams in the AL so either way......no WS ring for you guys.
  • about 28 hours left until the Braves are officially in first place

imagey
    The Braves are yesterday's news. It's a two horse race in the NL East - The Phillies and the Mets...and the Mets will finish this season exactly like last season - 2nd place.
  • we'll see.

me thinks you are just a tad over confident.

Yunel will soon be the best ss in the division.

imagey

<< <i>we'll see.

Yunel will soon be the best ss in the division. >>

With the Phillies last championship in 1980, 28 years ago...and the Eagles last championship in 1960, 48 years ago...the only thing I've got left is overconfidence figuring one of these years soon the odds have to even out with Philadelphia teams winning some championships. ! mean a Philadelphia championship should be due to happen, right? image

• << <i>

<< <i>we'll see.

Yunel will soon be the best ss in the division. >>

With the Phillies last championship in 1980, 28 years ago...and the Eagles last championship in 1960, 48 years ago...the only thing I've got left is overconfidence figuring one of these years soon the odds have to even out with Philadelphia teams winning some championships. ! mean a Philadelphia championship should be due to happen, right? image >>

At least you have pro sprts in your town.
    image try living in iowa and rooting for the hawkeyes and out of state pro teams.
    That is depressing.

imagey
    TTT

Sincerely,
    BAM
    Well beginning next week the Dodgers or possibly Brewers.

After that hopefully the Mets.

If all that fails the 4 teams in the AL could.

I hope this answers your ridiculous question.

Edited to add: BAM

Steve
    Good for you.
    Who is this Joe Stalin guy and all his amazing predictions?

Sincerely,
    Nostradamus
    Outstanding call - the Phillies weren't even the favorite to win their own division, let alone the NL pennant. Hard to believe because they had won the NL East last year, and simply got beat by a super red hot Rockies team, that crapped out in the World Series.

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    A site I go to World Sports Exchange post odds on professional and college championships. On February 25, 2008, they had ...

1. Phillies at 22-1;
    2. Dodgers at 22-1;
    3. Tampa Rays at 80-1; and
    4. Boston at 4-1.

Interesting.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Ill take the Rays @ 80-1 if you'll still give it to me image
    Answer: NO ONE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------END-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    with a rube as a exclamation pointimage
    coast to coast...who is this Joe Stalin guy?

BAM
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    MABimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubs

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.