Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1980 Topps Basketball Help

Has anyone opened a 1980 Topps Basketball box. I have one on the way. And was wondering what are the chances of pulling the Bird Magic rookie

Comments

• gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    8 cards in a pack times 36 packs in the box gives you 288 cards.
    288 cards in the box divided by 176 cards in the set gives you 1.63 of each card.

This is all assuming that the box has not been tampered with and perfect collation. When you start mentioning the print defects and centering problems that plague this card it really becomes a gamble. The other thing that bears mentioning is that there is gum in each pack, depending on how it was stored over the years there could be some gum damaged cards as well.

Quite a gamble when a PSA 8 can be had for around $200 and a PSA 9 can be had for under $1000.
  • Going from memory the "B" set is SP
    so 2 of the bird/magic since that is from the "A" set.
    on average
    set A=88
    Set A=88
    Set B SP=88
    264 plus 24 cards
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Always depends on what you pay for the bo. If you pay right it is not much of a gamble, if you over reached it's a guarenteed loss.
    Good luck on the break.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You should get two, but one will need to pull a PSA 9 for you to get your money back.
  • markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I opened one about a year ago and got 3 Bird Johnson rookies. They all had a small indention at the bottom middle to right which caused them to grade low. I got a 7,5 and a 2 for those pack fresh beauties. I think the 5 and 2 are ridiculous grades and I was expecting an 8 out of the 7. They were all marked down due to this indention. The only reason I opened them is that I got the box for $15 if you can believe that. I thought I was ordering the box with 36 empty packs. You can imagine my surprise when I found out they were full of cards!! I would keep the box sealed or sell it. By the way, I got the Bird/Erving/Johnson card out of the same sequence of cards each time. I knew when it was coming which made it very exciting.

• << <i>I opened one about a year ago and got 3 Bird Johnson rookies. They all had a small indention at the bottom middle to right which caused them to grade low. I got a 7,5 and a 2 for those pack fresh beauties. I think the 5 and 2 are ridiculous grades and I was expecting an 8 out of the 7. They were all marked down due to this indention. The only reason I opened them is that I got the box for $15 if you can believe that. I thought I was ordering the box with 36 empty packs. You can imagine my surprise when I found out they were full of cards!! I would keep the box sealed or sell it. By the way, I got the Bird/Erving/Johnson card out of the same sequence of cards each time. I knew when it was coming which made it very exciting. >>

WOW
    Last time I check the boxes were going for around 1000, more than individual packs.
    was the magic/bird the only card with the "indention"

Once I also got a box for around 15 as well, but without the magic/bird image . the seller opened the packs just for that card, and sold everything else(it had individual magic and Bird RC)
    Did you also notice the B set cards being SP?
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends