Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions on an apparent Irish 5 pence Double Die

I got this peice in change while in Ireland back in 1999. I had noted the doubling on the Ox and saved it away.

Anyone ever hear of a double die on this issue? - a 1996 5 pence.

The doubling is strong and quite extreme on the rear most hind leg and tail.

Sorry for the poor quality photo - If I have the coin local, I'll try and post a better image
if anyone has any clue and needs it.
I've googled for a hit on variants of: "1996 Irish 5 Pence double die" but they
come up with nada.

Thanks for any help or opinions.
Paul - saved by
The Fireman...

Comments

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Irish coinage is my collecting area and this is the second one I've seen as a matter of fact another member here on the
    forum posted one not too long ago. There is really nothing as far as doubling on this issue but it appears that maybe
    there could be in the future if more of these start showing up. From the images I've seen of these it looks like the coins
    have been struck twice with different pressures. I will talk with my friend john whose the true expert on Irish coinage and
    see if he has heard anything ot has more info on this series of 5 pence coins.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this information!

I'll try and hunt it down and take a better picture - it may take a day or two to locate.
    I'd love to see a picture of the other example do you remember if it was the same date? or what the thread was called?

Thanks again.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I know nothing at all about them but here is a link to the other posting... and it too was an 1996.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know nothing at all about them but here is a link to the other posting... and it too was an 1996.

Rick >>

Yup, that other post was mine, had a few different opinions in the post.

With US coins, you find something odd, there always seems to be someone to send it to to figure out exactly what it is or see if it needs added to whatever reference, whether it be Ken Potter, the CONECA folks, the VAM gurus, or numerous error experts on the US side.

With my 5P, and even a repunched 1948 Norway 50 Ore I found awhile back, there is usually no mention of these slight varieties anywhere in Krause. I don't have more in-depth guides for most world coins, or even know if most of these strange things we all seem to find are true new varieties, or where to send them to even figure it out.

It is fun to find something neat to post now and then though isn't it?

Jeff
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    The photos from the other thread are very helpful. I can plainly see the effect is extremely similar but definitely not identical.
    This makes it very unlikely (IMO) that the effect was caused by a doubled die, and leads me to think the problem was some type of strike malfunction...

Too bad - guess I'll lower my ask image

Mystery solved.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...