Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Calling all Barber Half collectors-there are some great coins available!

For the first time in several years, there appears to be on the market quite a few Barber halves in MS 64, 65, and 66. And many appear to be very nice for grade.

I have no financial interest in any of the firms or auction houses marketing these coins, but wanted my fellow collectors to be aware, if they aren't already.

I suggest you might check Pinnacle and Harry Laibstain's sites, and the Heritage Central States auction, in April.

The images at Pinnacle and HLRC are very good, and the coins are really hard to find this nice. MS 66 -- 1898, 1905-O, 1893, 1911. And some nice 64's and 65-- 1912, 1902-O, 1903-O.

I cannot vouch for the Heritage images, and would want to see the almost complete set of halves, in hand.

But I will assume there are some dates that come nice, and will not be available after this sale is over.

Good hunting
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Dale,

I like Pinnacle's 1898-P almost as much as I like your's...and that's saying something !!

I've also noticed the 1905-O too - its a wonderful coin.

Heritage's images are decent but never on the mark.
    Alot of the halves on their sale are from Irv Reichel's
    collection. One major coin of note is his 1896-O in PCGS 64
    which he got from Harry Laibstain.

Harry always has a nice selection too.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    The 2 MS 66 Barber halves ( 1898 and 1905-O) on Pinnacles site are gone! Someone woke up!

TahoeDale
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Dale,

I certainly have noticed that Pinnacle and Harry Laibstain have had some very nice barbers for sale. Nice PCGS-graded MS 66 barber halves are not very numerous and deserve a good look if one wants such a coin.

Harry almost always has a good selection of barber halves, including right now a micro O in NGC 62, an extremely rare coin in mint state, and also tough in all circulated grades. He is my preferred dealer and I can highly recommend him. None of the coins he has for sale do I have any financial interest in, although several have come from my registry set, nice coins which I have subsequently upgraded.

I agree with others that the 96-O in MS 64 is a very tough coin and very underrated. The last PCGS MS 65 coin just sold at auction for $37.7K and the grey sheet value is $11.5K. The coin was described to me as decent but by no means a likely upgrade candidate. Even with recent PCGS price guide increases for this key date, the coin is undervalued.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, Peter. As does Dale.
    MS - GEM's of the 96-O are
    VERY UNDERVALUED.

I love the one that Harry
    sold Irv Reichel - now being
    sold at Heritage's CSNS sale.

The AU 58 example is no
    slouch either ...image

...enough said.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases