Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Graded Cards and the Older Flip Label

Greetings All,

While purusing the message board archives in search of info on my beloved 1915 Cracker Jack set, I came upon a discussion regarding the older flip labels featured on some earlier PSA graded cards. I had never heard that mentioned before, and I was hoping that someone in audience had an image of this so-call "older flip label" so that I can steer clear of it in the future. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jared
Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Steer clear all you want, just leaves more for the rest of us.
    Buy the card and not the holder and you'll never have problems- there are good cards in old holders and bad ones in new ones.
    Here's the old style

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Hey there,

I appreciate the quick reply and your point is well taken.

Thanks again,

Jared

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Hey Scoutsout,

I find mid to lower grade cards are graded fairly acturately in the old flips. But when you get up into the 60;s and 70;s you'll see some PSA 9's and 10's in the old flip slab that are servely overgraded. Just don't think the bar was quite set when for high grade cards back then.

Seen a bunch of 65's in 9 and 10 holders that would be considered low end 8's or 7's today

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Hey Mark,

I sure appreciate the info. Accuracy is certainly important, but I also find that label uniformity is paramount to maintaining the set's overall appearance. Thanks again!

Take care,

Jared

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Jared, if you don't like the label you can send to psa and get a reholder with the newer style flip for $5. If a seller was concerned that the card was overgraded there's nothing to stop him from getting a brand new label for the $5 plus shipping.

As they always say around here, buy the card, not the grade.

If you find the right card with an old flip and you want it to match, you too can send in for a replacement holder.
  • Options
    Hiya,

That's an excellent point, my friend. I'm sure that I'll run into a few tough cards that'll have to be purchased with the old flip. Thanks for the input.

Best regards,

Jared