Home Sports Talk
Options

I'm going to NYC--any suggestions?

Hey guys.
My cousin's and I have finally planned a trip (that we've talked about for years), to go see Yankee Stadium (in it's last year). We've got tickets to a Saturday game (can't remember the exact weekend), in August against the Halos and are looking to go to the Sunday game as well (although we might just show up for that one to try to get "good" seats). Any good restaurants around Yankee Stadium? Anyone know of good hotel rates around where the Yanks play? Anything else I should see while I'm there? (and how far is it to the Statue of Liberty from where we'll be)?
Thanks for any help in advance,
Jay

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Bring lots of spending money, NYC is not a cheap place to eat or sleep.
  • Options
    Hey Michigan I know it's not going to be cheap, but if there was ever a time to go it's this year. Always wanted to (although I have no love for the Yanks as many of you know), but I'll always regret not getting to the Forum in Montreal before it closed, I have to go to Yankee Stadium.
    Jay
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    You only go around once in life so I say go for it no matter the cost. image
  • Options
    Have you heard about the area around Yankee Stadium ?
    It's a lot of roads, tunnels and bridges. Lots and lots of old buildings too.

Boston and NY really aren't the nice places to go like Baltimore is.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know of any nice places to go around the stadium.
    I don't think I've been there since the pine tar game. I think that was my last game at the stadium.
    I really don't like it around there.
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    My wife and I went to see the Yanks play Boston in Aug of 2004. We stayed in times square at the microtel (broadway and 53rd maybe??). The hotel portion of the building starts some number of floors above the ground level, so you get an elevator ride just to get to the lobby and some decent looks out the windows. Something like that. Not a bad place to stay and right across the street to the most important transit option in any big city in the country - subway that got you to Yankee stadium.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    Leave your wallet in the hotel safe, think about carrying a gun, make sure all your shots are up-to-date. image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Trade your tickets in and drive to Boston to see the World Champs!!

Seriously it's been years since I've been to Yankee stadium, but I hope you have a blast!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Stay at the Plaza or some other 5 star hotel you only live once.

The area immediatley around the stadium is safe.

I suggest you take in times square and see the wax museum, disney and espn control that block now.

The statue of liberty is not far from the stadium but you will need a different day to go there.

It is prolly 10 miles away from the stadium?

You could also stay in a hotel in westchester and take a train into the city to see the game.

have fun!

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 7 train goes to Shea Stadium...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    what grote said 7 train goes to shea... why goto just yanks when you can see shea stadium 1986 series in your mind. both stadiums go bang after the season. shea is a sh$$thole but so is yankke stadium... hit the garden also if the knicks or rangers are in town,

strip clubs scores is cool but its like 12$ a beer. so thats your choice. i lived up there for almost 16 years. miss it bad but dont miss the weather!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eat and have your fun in Manhattan. You don't want to be in the area around Yankee stadium except for just before and just after the game.
  • Options
    dont look up.
  • Options
    check ouy cetral park also lots to see if the weather is good. and if you can afford it have lunch at tavern on the green. it,s dressy so dont show up in shorts and flip flops. not sure if the intrepid is still docked on 11th but is worth checking out. and allways see whats goin on at madison square garden. st. patricks cathedral is a must see. and depending on what time of year it is coney island is cool. and last but not least atlantic city is something to see at least once.
  • Options
    Guys thank you, thank you, thank you, knew I could count on these boards for some help!
    Lots of great info, can't wait to actually get there!
    Thanks again,
    Jay
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Take a tour of the stadium. We took the Grand Champions tour which takes you to the private restaurant, to a million dollar suite, to the clubhouse, to the bench, then a walk along the field to Monument park. Something I would highly recommend before they tear down the stadium.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    bring lots of cash is right....

mixed drinks are $12-18 dollars

beers are $8-12

lap dances $40-100.....
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Take the tour of Yankee Stadium if you can. Check the Yanks website for details.

Stay in Manhattan. Map out the sights and take a nice walk.

Hop the 7 to Shea.

Urinate on it, then leave. There is nothing to see there. image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    see the monuments in center one of the days, stop at musials (bar) accross the street, take the subway to the game.

enjoy the stadium

i hate the yankees but i love the house that ruth built
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started