Home U.S. Coin Forum

PM in Freefall!!!

2»

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH MY FREAKING GOD!! Run for your freaking lives!

Go down to your bank and withdraw all your cash and stuff it in your mattress!!

Ahh... that's better! image
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold, platinum and silver will likely drop back to their long term trend line before the insane run up that started earlier this year. That would drop platinum back into the $1700s and gold into the 800s. Not exactly bad if you're looking at a longer term chart.

Basically, the past 2-3 months have been overheated fluff courtesy of new money piling in.

However, longer term, is anyone actually going to predict well-contained inflation in the U.S.?!? Because that's what it would really take to significantly pound gold and platinum into the ground going forward. >>

This will be perfect so the pricing on the gold buffalo fractional coins and the Gaudens high relief replica will be more reasonable.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    so ya actually think the mint will lower pricing per oz?

I think all this PM freefall is just a thing, and it is going back up soon - it may not skyrocket, but probably a steady crawl -- I mean just look at the state of things -- we have a few bandaids, and some people can't think long term - and then some people just don't think at all.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>so ya actually think the mint will lower pricing per oz?

Yes...if gold drops and remains at the $850-$900 level (for example) for a few weeks...the Mint will probably re-price downward. Same for platinum. I just don't think they like having to re-price too often...both upward and downward...makes it look like they're running a Wal-Mart clearance sale instead of a government agency!
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigmoose---PM sent.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold, platinum and silver will likely drop back to their long term trend line before the insane run up that started earlier this year. That would drop platinum back into the $1700s and gold into the 800s. Not exactly bad if you're looking at a longer term chart.

Basically, the past 2-3 months have been overheated fluff courtesy of new money piling in.

However, longer term, is anyone actually going to predict well-contained inflation in the U.S.?!? Because that's what it would really take to significantly pound gold and platinum into the ground going forward. >>

What happens if the long term trend line is broken? Do you sell? And can you sell if you tell yourself that it is already down 20% and cant drop anymore?

What if inflation turns into deflation?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    The talking heads on TV say Buy, sell and hold.

The truth of the matter is, that no one knows for

sure what tomorrow will bring. Since we are in

uncertain times, hedge your bets on stocks,

real estate, rare coins , PMs and cash.

Hold on to a portion of each and sit tight. It may be a

bumpy ride for quite some time.

This is neither a negative or a positive prediction. This

is merely a warning , expect the unexpected.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    The best investment these days has GOT to be uncut sheets of currency from the BEP.

If you are sleeping on a Park Bench and it gets really COLD don't count of finding any discarded Newspapers for use as a Blanket. Whip out your BEP Sheets and sleep in comfort.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The best investment these days has GOT to be uncut sheets of currency from the BEP.

If you are sleeping on a Park Bench and it gets really COLD don't count of finding any discarded Newspapers for use as a Blanket. Whip out your BEP Sheets and sleep in comfort.

image >>

Hey, I have the $2 sheet, series 1976!! image I was thinking of taking it to a bar and cutting then off one by one to pay the tab!!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, interesting. Will we hear from the guys predicting $40 silver and $2000 gold today?

Connecticoin.......checking in for duty......sir!

Boy, this was the best the FED and it's posse could do to gold?
    They passed out hundreds of billions of dollars to their banking buddies and said, go tank gold, go make money. A 10% correction?

Roby Kirby's take of the shenanigans:

So how is it that capital / margin requirements are being lessened for originators of "paper" for which there is NO BID while being raised as much as 10 fold for the best credit[s]- treasuries - in the land? Speaking with Rhody earlier today, he summarized it as follows:

"Essentially we had an industry wide margin call on hedge funds who were long precious metal contracts on COMEX. This is similar, although not as extreme as what was done to the Hunt Bros back in 1980 to collapse their silver position."

Confused?

You shouldn’t be. This has not occurred by accident.

This sucking-and-blowing action bears the un-mistakable finger prints of the Plunge Protection Team.

Anecdotally, a very good friend tried to purchase physical silver this morning [multi thousand ounces] from one of Canada’s larges bullion dealers – He was told by the dealer that he has never seen such a disconnect between futures price and the physical market in his life. As the price of "paper" silver has been butchered over the past couple of days – customers trying to buy physical have surfaced en masse and traditional sources of supply have dried up.

What these clowns are really doing is they are destroying the integrity [the little there is left] of the futures markets as a price-discovery-mechanism and soon – metals markets will be cash-and-carry only.

This massacre will be shorter lived than most people imagine.
    Best,
    Rob Kirby

Makes sense to me. Fannie and Freddie are insolvent, but got their margin ratios on illiquid or upside down mortgages lowered by 33%...while those in the commodity sectors with real assets got theirs raised by a significant amount. Bizzaro Banking at its finest.
    The ETF's are one of the best weapons now utilized by FED Friends. JPM took on Bear Stearn's $14 TRILLION in derivatives (over $10MM in OTC junk) to increases its book to $91 MILLION. I wonder why the creditors of BSC are even fighting the $2 per share price JPM paid considering they'd have to take on >$10 TRILLION in OTC junk derivatives. JPM probably didn't even want BSC at $2/share but realized that as the largest derivatives holders in the world, that having BSC fail on its own derivatives would hurt them as well. So whose derivative position will JPM be forced to swallow next? Lehman or Citi?

Silver and gold? Almost sounds like sight-seen and sight-unseen bidding to me. Bidding sight-unseen gets you paper silver, bidding sight-seen allows you to get physical metal that you can hold. No doubt a lot people now realized that paper and physical are not the same.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    man, could one of you smart guys put that into layman's terms for me -- all I can gather is that is sounds like we are in deep doo.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm, interesting. Will we hear from the guys predicting $40 silver and $2000 gold today?

Connecticoin.......checking in for duty......sir!
    >>

Heh, good one RR. A refreshing change from the herd mentality on these boards. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file