Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

going to Scotland... looking for coin dealers to visit.

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know this is a longshot question to post but...

I'll be traveling in early June and would like to contact a dealer or two in advance, to set up a visit. Does anyone have any recommendations?
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea on coin dealers, but I wish I were goin' with you!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Goggle list for you

Maybe that will help some
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Hi,
    definitely the 'Edinburgh Coin Shop' as posted above.
    I was there last year, it does not look much but he does know his stuff.
    They buy and sell large quantities, though not all through the shop.
    It will all depend what you are looking for, he had bakers trays full
    of low grade British coppers. All kept in the back and brought through
    for you to see in the very small front of shop.
    Give him some time before your visit to sort out things that might be
    of interest to you. Very good value.

Teg
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Were in Scotland are you visiting?
    As Teg said Edinburgh coin shop is good (small premises, but he does have a good stock, I think they do stamps too). There is also a good antiques & coin shop (can't remember the name) going down Rose Street in Edinburgh with a good selection of coins. I think its family run. I hear there is a good coin museum (attraction) called something like "the history of money" on the Royal Mile but I haven't visited it yet.

Hus
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help everyone!

This will be my fifth or sixth trip to Scotland. I'm flying into and out of Edinburgh on this one, but I believe the agricultural group I'll be part of will be operating out of Sterling as a central location. My early arrival into Edinburgh has been planned exclusively to shop for some early Scottish coins.

I haven't managed to find any mention of an e-mail for the shop in Edinburgh, so I guess I'll give them a call early tomorrow morning here on the west coast and ask if they might be able to help me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I live in Edinburgh (In Spain currently)! Check out the Edinburgh Coin Shop on West Cross Causeway, that´s my main dealer here. You want to talk to the older gentleman with the beard. He´s good, although you may want to call ahead to give him time to assemble whatever you may be interested in... the shop is tiny, which can be a problem. He will let you look through his bulk coins but he´s knowledgeable, so he charges appropriately for better pieces, although he charges fair prices in general I have found. There is also an antique shop on C@ckburn street (spelling check doesn´t seem to like that name) with several trays of better world coins and a small junk box or two - they charge a bit too much but you can cherry-pick from them.
  • Options
    Hi,

My mistake. I listed a shop as being on Rose street but the shop I was thinking of was correctly listed by Bjorn as being on C@ckburn street.

Good luck with your hunt.

All the best,
    Hus
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

When on Rose Street, one crawls the pubs as I recall. It would be dangerous if they put a coin shop there...!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    image True. I'm sure there are some jewelry shops there though.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi,

My mistake. I listed a shop as being on Rose street but the shop I was thinking of was correctly listed by Bjorn as being on C@ckburn street.

Good luck with your hunt.

All the best,
    Hus >>

Did you mean, Cockburn Street? Sounds like I'll have to arrange more time in Edinburgh on my next visit. image
  • Options

Yup, but when I use o instead of @ like Bjorn I get: "You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you."

I guess the filter thinks its a swear word!