Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who made the 1932 Wash Quarter in MS67 now pop 2

The 32P Wash Quarter has been a pop 1 for ever. I see that the pop
just doubled to 2. Anyone want to fess up to this great achievement,
or are we going to have to wait to see this coin in an Auction...

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was me, it was me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...............maybe not! imageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    And I was just starting to believe him. image
    Dan
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mis-read the post. I thought you were talking about who made the first one. While I am friends with this dealer, I have no idea who made number 2.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the pop -1- coin for years now and now it appears it is no more. Oh well - it was fun while it lasted. You know going in that when you hold coins and collect them - pops generally just go in one direction.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin, do you know who made the coin you have? My dealer is pretty sure he did but is not 100% sure.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    That was a pop.1 for a very long time. I hope the new top pop is a very fine example of a 67.

ps. Wow, I guess that I haven't looked at the pops in a long time. All dates' top pops seemed to have increased quite a bit.
    Again, I hope that '32p is "all there".
  • Options
    The coin was a crossover from the set coming up in the B&M sale in Chicago right before the Central States show. It is my understanding that Bowers tried a few of the keys in NGC holders for crossover to PCGS. I am not sure which other coins PCGS decided to cross.
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    The first one was in the John Benbow, Richard Green and Steve Heller sets. Could
    the pop 2 coin be one of these.

imageimage
  • Options
    Then it's not one of these. These 2 were in PC 66 holders. Thanks for the info Dave.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll help narrow it down....it wasn't me image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    "Wondercoin, do you know who made the coin you have? My dealer is pretty sure he did but is not 100% sure."

Dbldie55 - I suspect your dealer may be correct. My memory has faded a bit on this coin as I handled it quite a few times when it went to and from Heller and Green over the years and finally to me. In fact, if memory serves me right, the first time I handled it was when I put together the original Benbow to Green silver quarter set sale.

The 32-P is quite elusive in MS66++ and better quality - there have only been one or two other coins I have ever seen over the years which I thought could possibly grade true MS67.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I am having dinner with him tonight. I will let him know it is being discussed. I am pretty sure more than one of the quarters that used to reside in his Dansco went into the Green collection.
  • Options
    "20 k coin now a 10 k coin"

Memo to self regarding positive thinking - "peanuts" when you compare it to the $400/oz drop in platinum in past 2 weeks.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not agree with the drop from 20K to 10K valuation because it went from a pop 1 to a pop 2.

I would suspect that it would have dropped from $18K +- to $13K +- at the most.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

When it sells along side a 1932 D in PCGS ms 66 I will bet it brings more than 25 K. .Laura Sperber needs it as a type coin.Any bettors ?

Stewart
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When it sells along side a 1932 D in PCGS ms 66 I will bet it brings more than 25 K. .Laura Sperber needs it as a type coin.Any bettors ?

Stewart >>

I won't bet on the price, but I'll bet that it's not Laura that buys it.
  • Options
    And to think the first one sold for 3k as a pop 1.
  • Options
    Dbldie55 - Probably true, but keep in mind that from the time of that first original sale (probably to Benbow back then), the pop 1 coin traded hands many more times at much higher levels - first when Benbow sold his first set to Green, then when Green sold the coin to Heller, then when Heller sold it back to Green later (at least that is how I recall it went), then when I finally bought it. So, there were 3-5 private sales in there as well since the time of the first sale, possibly at $3,000.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Stewart ,

I'd take that bet. I do not believe the 32P MS67 will cross 25K.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet, bet? Anyone suggest Lloyd as referee?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I'd be in at $12K sight seen. I have to assume it's a nice coin and as long as it's not a dipped out white coin.
  • Options
    Wondercoin, I realize this coin has changed hands many times for more than the 3k. I was talking about the initial transaction, from the collector who had it graded, into the Benbow collection. The amount I mentioned is what this person told me he sold it for.