Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Variety Sets Are In The Future for the Kennedys! Sad Day For The Collectors!

Great news! We got the magical email from BJ today so the "Variety Sets" can't be to far away for the Kennedy Series!image

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for you...image
    Dan
  • Options
    Still holding my breath.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it has taken so long maybe we all should wait about a year or so to put anything into them.image

• Options
    I will still be holding my breath after they fix the Variety set ---- as I know they will never make the Circ set a true Circ set. Proud Member - PHFOBSC image

I look forward to seeing what they come up with for the Variety Sets, allot of hard work went in to it and there are some members that will rock that set.

Dan

PHFOBSC - Proper Home for Orfan Bussiness Strike Coins.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>I will still be holding my breath after they fix the Variety set ---- as I know they will never make the Circ set a true Circ set. Proud Member - PHFOBSC image

I look forward to seeing what they come up with for the Variety Sets, allot of hard work went in to it and there are some members that will rock that set.

Dan

PHFOBSC - Proper Home for Orfan Bussiness Strike Coins. >>

Dan,

If enough collectors want a "Basic Set" with just "Business Strike" coinage, I hope PCGS will start that set like they did for the "Statehood Quarters". I mean, or hope that PCGS will be fair and consistant between the different series (what is good for one should be good for all).image

• Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>Great news! We got the magical email from BJ today so the "Variety Sets" can't be to far away for the Kennedy Series! >>

Hmmmm...I wonder what criteria they used to determine who got the email. image
    I think we're in all of the Kennedy sets in the registry...and we didn't get the email. image
    Guess I need to ask BJ
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still holding my breath.

Dan >>

My face is now purple, and rapidly going to dark blue! image

I'm very happy for all of the half collectors!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great news! We got the magical email from BJ today so the "Variety Sets" can't be to far away for the Kennedy Series!image >>

Care to divulge the contents of the "Magical Email" Timothy?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great news! We got the magical email from BJ today so the "Variety Sets" can't be to far away for the Kennedy Series!image >>

Care to divulge the contents of the "Magical Email" Timothy? >>

Lee,

Just the standard (We are reviewing the Variety and wanting to know about the BS & SF). But if past series are any indication, once the first email goes out to the Collectors - the sets being posted in the Registry is about one month image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    From what I know......
    Kennedy sets should be up in less than one week!!
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Our newest orphan, image

Sounds like a home is on its way

• Options
    Hopefully the current variety (singular) set will include more than just the 74-D DDO...along with the BS/SF coins. It would be nice if they added some of the other major varieties as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully the current variety (singular) set will include more than just the 74-D DDO...along with the BS/SF coins. It would be nice if they added some of the other major varieties as well. >>

I agree 100 percent! But what will PCGS doimage
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I sure would like to see the Sac dollars completed. The Cheerios Sac deserves a space in the registry. IMHO.

Congrats on the Kennedy sets too!
  • Options

<< <i>I agree 100 percent! But what will PCGS do image >>

Hopefully, they will take this set that currently has only one variety, and make it a little more meaningful by adding the other major varieties that are as strong as the 74-D...and have been searched for as long or longer. I believe there are 6 or so that would fit that bill.
    It will be quite disappointing if they add only the satin finish coins and try to call that a Major Variety set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree 100 percent! But what will PCGS do image >>

Hopefully, they will take this set that currently has only one variety, and make it a little more meaningful by adding the other major varieties that are as strong as the 74-D...and have been searched for as long or longer. I believe there are 6 or so that would fit that bill.
    It will be quite disappointing if they add only the satin finish coins and try to call that a Major Variety set. >>

I never understood why the following coins were not in the old "Variety" set, they are just as easy to identify as the 1974-D DDO and most Collectors I know who collects the series have always hunted for them in the best condition they could find. Most are almost impossible to find in MS66 or better, but again that is the FUN of "The Hunt":
    1964-D DDO (FS-13.4) FS-101
    1964-D TDO (FS-13.5) FS-103
    1964-D QDO (FS-13.6) FS-105
    1966 (FS-13.8 Business Strike) FS-101
    1971-D DDO (FS-14.3) FS-101
    1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101

JMHO

Edited to add new FS numbers
  • Options
    Could any body make any sense out of what they want with the email poll they sent last week?
    I did not answer because it was to confusing!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Could any body make any sense out of what they want with the email poll they sent last week?
    I did not answer because it was to confusing!!!
    image >>

Syl,

The way I took the email, if you wanted the "either / or policy" with the satin finish vs business strike coins in the Major Variety Set - vote for number 1.

If you wanted to have both satin finish and business strike coins included in the Major Variety Set - vote for number 2.

I realize that the third choice that some wanted was not offered.image
  • Options

<< <i> I never understood why the following coins were not in the old "Variety" set, they are just as easy to identify as the 1974-D DDO and most Collectors I know who collects the series have always hunted for them in the best condition they could find. Most are almost impossible to find in MS66 or better, but again that is the FUN of "The Hunt":
    1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101

JMHO
    image >>

Tim
    Those would be the exact same six I was referring to...amazing how those that know the series (the collectors) have the same list for the Major varieties. Hopefully PCGS's Major Variety set will have them as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim
    Those would be the exact same six I was referring to...amazing how those that know the series (the collectors) have the same list for the Major varieties. Hopefully PCGS's Major Variety set will have them as well. >>

Twincam - Don't get me wrong, I like the other varieties too (for the Complete Set)! But if PCGS' aguement is that the coin's variety must be easily visible and collected by Collectors for a long time period then I fail to see how those six coins do not belong in the "Major" Variety Set. Hopefully PCGS will agree with us and give us the set(s) we want.

Guess now it is just a "Waiting Game"! image
  • Options

<< <i>Twincam - Don't get me wrong, I like the other varieties too (for the Complete Set)! But if PCGS' aguement is that the coin's variety must be easily visible and collected by Collectors for a long time period then I fail to see how those six coins do not belong in the "Major" Variety Set. Hopefully PCGS will agree with us and give us the set(s) we want. >>

We are also looking forward to a "Complete Kennedy Variety Set"...but, as the other series are getting a Major Variety Set also, we were hoping for one for the Kennedys. In my opinion, it would be a misnomer to call the existing Kennedy variety set a "Major Variety Set" if the 74-D DDO remains the only long-established major variety included and the other six major varieties are left out.
  • Options

<< <i>I realize that the third choice that some wanted was not offered. >>

OK then my choice is number three.

Basic set is Business Strike coins.
    Variety and the Complete set require both.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I realize that the third choice that some wanted was not offered. >>

OK then my choice is number three.

Basic set is Business Strike coins.
    Variety and the Complete set require both.

image >>

But the Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1999-2008) set is there for the Quarter collectors without any "Satin Finish" Coinsimage The rest of us getimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Twincam - Don't get me wrong, I like the other varieties too (for the Complete Set)! But if PCGS' aguement is that the coin's variety must be easily visible and collected by Collectors for a long time period then I fail to see how those six coins do not belong in the "Major" Variety Set. Hopefully PCGS will agree with us and give us the set(s) we want. >>

We are also looking forward to a "Complete Kennedy Variety Set"...but, as the other series are getting a Major Variety Set also, we were hoping for one for the Kennedys. In my opinion, it would be a misnomer to call the existing Kennedy variety set a "Major Variety Set" if the 74-D DDO remains the only long-established major variety included and the other six major varieties are left out. >>

Twincam - If the 1974-D DDO is the only variety list in the set, I will have to go back and edit the title of this thread to Old Variety Set are In the Future for the Kennedys!image

To be honest, I have always got a kick out of the title of the current Kennedy Variety set that PCGS gave to it, Kennedy Half Dollars with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) . I always thought that where there is just one variety in the set then the word "Variety" should have stayed in the singular and not the plural form.image
  • Options
    1998-S ?

And the quarters are all over the place.

• Options

<< <i>1998-S ?

And the quarters are all over the place.

image >>

Syl,

The reason that I made the comment "To be honest, I have always got a kick out of the title of the current Kennedy Variety set that PCGS gave to it, Kennedy Half Dollars with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present) . I always thought that where there is just one variety in the set then the word "Variety" should have stayed in the singular and not the plural form.image" is because I don't consider the 1998-S SMS as a variety. I think the 1998-S SMS Kennedy should be treated the same as 1994-P & 1997-P SMS nickels and included in the "Basic" set. Part of an email that has been sent to David Hall illustrates this point.

"The modern commemorative series has produced a few specialty coins for the regular series that are used in commerce today, namely the 1994-P SMS Jefferson nickel (PCGS number 84230), the 1997-P SMS Jefferson nickel (PCGS number 84140) and the 1998-S SMS silver Kennedy half dollar (PCGS number 6775). If being “consistent” is a goal of PCGS, then why hasn’t the 1998-S SMS silver Kennedy been added to the “Basic Kennedy half dollar, Circulation Strike Set” to match the 1994-P SMS Jefferson nickel and the 1997-P SMS Jefferson nickel which are in the “Basic Jefferson Nickel, Circulation Strike Set”. Should the same “type” of coin be treated differently just because it is of a different denomination or in another series?"

JMHO, image
  • Options

<< <i>I think the 1998-S SMS Kennedy should be treated the same as 1994-P & 1997-P SMS nickels and included in the "Basic" set. >>

I would agree with this. The coin was officially released by the mint...and is not a variation from the strike as the mint intended it. In my opinion, it would be odd to call it a variety when it's the only version of this strike recognized. I do believe the six additional coins listed earlier in this post belong in any set purporting to be a Major Variety set...ie
    1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101
    Those, along with the 1974-D (FS-15) FS-101 , would comprise the long recognized major varieties searched for in the series.
  • Options
    Has anyone addressed the no "FG" coins for the variety sets. I do not do the chery picker but how does it list there?
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone addressed the no "FG" coins for the variety sets. I do not do the chery picker but how does it list there? >>

Syl
    The Cherrypickers' Guide lists the 1966 SMS no FG, and the 1972-D no FG.
    None of the others (including the 1982-P) are included.
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone addressed the no "FG" coins for the variety sets. I do not do the chery picker but how does it list there?
    image >>

Syl,

Like Twincam stated, the 1966 SMS "no FG" and the MS 1972-D "no FG" are the only ones listed in the Fourth Edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide. I would think that the the 1966 SMS would be in the "Proof Varieties" and the 1972-D would be in the "Circulation Strikes". But there is no logic or consistence on how PCGS makes the sets up so it it anyone's guessimage
  • Options
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>None of the others (including the 1982-P) are included. >>

That's about the right speed on this issue. The only one I allready have isn't a player in the game.image

• Options
    BJ,
    Told me in an email this morning that the "Major variety" set for the Kennedy Halves will require both Business strike and Satins.

So some of those orphans will have a home soon.
  • Options

<< <i>BJ,
    Told me in an email this morning that the "Major variety" set for the Kennedy Halves will require both Business strike and Satins.

So some of those orphans will have a home soon. >>

Jim,

This is OK by me. We are talking about a "Major Variety" set here, can someone please tell me between the 2005 - present coinage of "satin finish" and "business strikes" which ones are BASIC coins and which ones are the Variety coins? If neither one is a variety then they both should be in the "Basic" set.image

Getting back to the Kennedy series of "Major Varieties", is the 1974-D DDO still going to be the "Lone Duck" of what PCGS calls a varietycollection? Use PCGS' own rules, how can they say the 1974-D is any easier to see then the following varieties:

1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101

<< <i>Major Variety Set (Date, Mintmark, and Major Varieties) – The Major Variety Set includes one of each date, mintmark, and major variety currently recognized by PCGS. Major varieties are defined as coins that are easily recognized as having major differences from other coins of the same design, type, date, and mint. Generally, major varieties are significant and can be easily seen with the naked eye. And where there are various “states” to a variety, the major variety is the state which is considered the strongest by the collecting community. For example, there are three states, or types, for the 1936 Double Die Obverse Lincoln cent. Only the Type 1, the strongest and most apparent of the three states, is considered a major variety and is included in the PCGS Major Variety Set for Lincoln cents.

Note that new varieties are recognized each year and the number of coins needed for a Major Variety Set may increase over time. Also note that it is possible for varieties to be “delisted,” i.e. removed from inclusion in the Major Variety set. Sometimes varieties are misattributed by the numismatic community. For example, for years the pricing guides listed an 1869/8 Indian cent. Experts now state that this is not a 9 over 8, but “recut 9,” or “9 over 9.’ This minor recutting is a much more common occurring variety and is not considered major. >>

If all PCGS does to change the current Kennedy "variety" set is to rename the title of the set "Major Variety" and require both the basic "satin finish" and "business strike" coin then all it would be is a con job (I can't say what I really think)image
  • Options

<< <i>BJ,

So some of those orphans will have a home soon. >>

OH - I get it now! This is an April FOOLS joke.image
  • Options
    Maybe a four year long April fools joke???
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>OH - I get it now! This is an April FOOLS joke.image >>

Tim

The biggest joke will be if PCGS tries to call the current set (with only the 74-D DDO), with satin finish coins added, a Major Variety set. As you have indicated, a Kennedy mint state "Major Variety" set would include not only the 1974-D (FS015) FS-101...but also the other six major varieties...ie
    1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101

I've been collecting since the early 1960's...and, as you know, those six, plus the 1974-D FS-101...are the most pronounced business strike varieties...and comprise what the long-time collectors would regard as MAJOR business strike Kennedy varieties. If there is to be a true mint state major variety set for the Kennedys...all seven of those coins need to be included.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OH - I get it now! This is an April FOOLS joke.image >>

Tim

The biggest joke will be if PCGS tries to call the current set (with only the 74-D DDO), with satin finish coins added, a Major Variety set. As you have indicated, a Kennedy mint state "Major Variety" set would include not only the 1974-D (FS015) FS-101...but also the other six major varieties...ie
    1973-D (FS-14.8) FS-101

I've been collecting since the early 1960's...and, as you know, those six, plus the 1974-D FS-101...are the most pronounced business strike varieties...and comprise what the long-time collectors would regard as MAJOR business strike Kennedy varieties. If there is to be a true mint state major variety set for the Kennedys...all seven of those coins need to be included. >>

Twincam - I realize this is going to age me but I started collecting in 1970 at age 9 with my father. We would go to the bank and buy rolls looking for the 1964-D DDO & TDO plus the 1966 DDO back then, long before the 1974-D was even mintedimage

PCGS even had a unique coin number for the 1964-D DDO & 1964-TDO but I noticed that they only listed the 1974-D DDO in the Price Guide or Population Reports.image
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reading up on what you guys (meaning Kennedy registry collectors) consider to be the major varieties, and I'm wondering if there is any love for the 1972 DDO or the 1977-D DDO? Both are on a par with the 1973-D as far as strength of doubling, and I believe both are scarce to rare in mint state. I don't think either is listed in the Cherrypickers Guide, which may be the biggest hurdle toward acceptance. I also agree with whoever said the no-FG varieties should be included.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

<< <i>Just reading up on what you guys (meaning Kennedy registry collectors) consider to be the major varieties, and I'm wondering if there is any love for the 1972 DDO or the 1977-D DDO? Both are on a par with the 1973-D as far as strength of doubling, and I believe both are scarce to rare in mint state. I don't think either is listed in the Cherrypickers Guide, which may be the biggest hurdle toward acceptance. I also agree with whoever said the no-FG varieties should be included.

Sean Reynolds >>

Sean,

In answer to your question, I like both the 1972 DDO & 1977-D DDO and currently have these two examples graded MS63 by PCGS but only the 1972 DDO is attributed so far (The 1977-D DDO is not listed in the main text of the Cherrypickers' Guide but is in the "Appendix K" on page 445, still haven't heard conclusively if PCGS will attribute this variety. image).

I asked J.T. Stanton over a year ago about the 1982-P & 1983-P "no FG"s and he mentioned that when he was completing the Fourth Edition, he was running out of time and space in the current book but that in the next edition they would be listed plus othersimage

As far as the 1972 DDO & 1977-D DDO goes, like I mentioned before, I like them but think they are more suitable for the "Complete Varieties, Circulation Strikes" set. I think the "Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes" set should be limited to not only the varieties that have the strongest "strength of doubling" but have the history of being "searched for" by collectors, that is why I limited my thoughts on the subject to just adding six more coins to the 1974-D DDO that is currently in the set.

1966 DDO (FS-13.8 Business Strike) FS-101
    1973-D DDO (FS-14.8) FS-101

Again, just my humble opinion,

PS: Edited to add: Just to demonstrate how long some Collectors have been searching for these other six varieties, they all have old FS numbers lower then the FS – 015.0 number that the 1974-D DDO has image
  • Options

<< <i>Just reading up on what you guys (meaning Kennedy registry collectors) consider to be the major varieties, and I'm wondering if there is any love for the 1972 DDO or the 1977-D DDO? Both are on a par with the 1973-D as far as strength of doubling, and I believe both are scarce to rare in mint state. I don't think either is listed in the Cherrypickers Guide, which may be the biggest hurdle toward acceptance. I also agree with whoever said the no-FG varieties should be included >>

Sean
    The 1972 was not searched for by collectors on the same scale as the 6 major varieties Tim listed in his post. And while the 1977-D did have an old FS number, it was not searched for to the extent of the others...and as Tim stated, it is not listed in the body of the Cherrypicker's Guide.

• Options
    Another week gone...no new Kennedy sets image

Anyone have any inside info on a time frame for Kennedy variety sets? How about their composition...will we get a true Major Variety Set with more long-time varieties added?image
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Maybe soon? image
  • Options
  • Options
    Still holding my breathimage

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    OK looks like some of the ones you guys wanted are to be added. And the no FG is going in too.
  • Options
    Well, at least some of the new Kennedy sets are up. I hope that's not all that will be added...we had asked if there was going to be a "Kennedy Half Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1964-Present)"...so we could have ALL our PCGS Kennedys in one set. We were told that set was going to happen, but it didn't go up with the others. image Hopefully, it will be there next week.

In the sets that DID go up...the weights of the variety coins don't appear to correspond with the relative rariety of the coins. Some of the easier to find varieties have been assigned larger weights than others that are much more rare. image Wonder what's up with that? image
  • Options
    I'm no longer a set holderimagemaybe some day I will back.

Dan

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half Guys,

You have to be patient. I know it takes a while, but the Roosie Dime sets went up over 2 different days. I would give it till next week before blowing my stack.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i> I would give it till next week before blowing my stack. >>

Sorry but that advice is way too late.