Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

O.T. Maybe Not......Need advice on flying NWA with Metal Detector...

Can anyone please tell me since i am going to Florida on Tuesday will i be able to take my metal detector ???? I'll be flying on NWA and planning on doing some detecting. Can i pack my my machine in a checked bag without any hassle's. I removed the batterie's. and already have it packed? I am so looking forward to it. I'll be spending 3 day's at a beachfront home and would love to have it with me...... One never know's what you might just find.image
" I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......

Comments

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I fly and take a detector, I toss a metal detecting magazine right on top of everything in the suitcase/bag. Then when they open the suitcase to check it (and they probably will) the first thing they see is the Lost Treasure or Eastern Western Treasure magazine and it helps them to understand exactly what you have packed. Sometimes I will pack the detector's instruction manual as well. I did this when I went to Mexico a couple years back. And yes take the batteries out. You may be able to pack them separately in checked luggage but they don't like them on carry-on.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice - don't fly North-worst - I could fill up this forum with my personal horror stories flying on NWA....

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    And of course for the other side of the coin - I have accumulated more than 1,000,000 credited miles in the NWA frequent flyer program and I have had absolutely 0 "horror" stories with them. They are no Singapore Airlines but I enjoy flying with them.

Do pack the batteries separately in your checked luggage. The TSA has recently changed the rules on batteries in your carryon (the new rules should not affect regular passengers but I have no knowledge about MD batteries).
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replie's, I tried to contact NWA and spent almost an hour on hold....... I had to listen to the awful "Muzak" You know the awful rendition of Brahm's and Mozart elevator type stuff, Thank god it wasn't the butchered version of "The Beatle's".... I'm flying out of Memphis to Tallahasse, girlfriend is picking me up there and then we are off to Crawfordville, FL., I wish i could find out if there are any good spot's to detect there on the gulf side. Planning on spending a couple day's fishing and crabbing. I can't wait.......I suppose we will be going to Disneyworld, Haven't been there since '75, Epcot was just opening around then. Going to be a great 14 day's. Can't wait til i hit the beach.

Guess i will hopefully be posting my find's, If any? Upon my return,

Best wishe's, ozzysdad/Brad....
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it.
    I travel with guns frequently TSA isn't the BIG BAD boogie man that everyone thinks.
    They are not going to look twice at a metal detector, your not the first person to travel with one.

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.